What's new

"The Poseidon Adventure" DVD re-issue coming? (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
No, Steve, I never saw Poseidon in stereo. Just Inferno and Earthquake (in 70mm sensurround). Earthquake had a huge impact on me and I must have had that first laserdisc you said was stereo (Poseidon), but I don't remember the track at all, and of course, everything since then was mono (as far as true separation stereo). Is it a good stereo track?

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, John Williams's score sounds great on the stereo track. The background music in the pre-capsize ballroom sequence sounds echoey in the surround speakers, as if you are really in a huge ballroom. And there are various directional effects, such as Mr Tinkham calling for help (out of frame) out of the left speaker, moments after the capsizing.

Dennis H, I am very envious!! ;- )

Dennis H

Auditioning
Yes, John Williams's score sounds great on the stereo track.
Even though it was 30+ years ago I vividly remember the music - the main theme, as well as the ominous theme that played under the dialogue that reminded the audience that they were in a capsized ship floating in the middle of the ocean. Looking back, I realize now that a great deal of the excitement the movie generated was from that six-track presentation. I am amazed when people speculate whether or not the movie was originally in stereo - for me there is no doubt!

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
I agree!

Even some who have heard the true stereo VHS and early LaserDisc are in doubt, and have sujested it could have been a for-home-video-remix of a mono motion picture. Their reasonning is: The first DVD is THX approved, and 6-track stereo movies would never appear on THX DVDs in mono...

Please! Fake stereo remixes do not have directional dialogue. And the stereo mix of Poseidon has "20th Century-Fox 4-track/6-track mix of the 60s/early 70s era" written all over it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
IMDB lists all the Poseidon audio tracks that were used for the film. I assume this is accurate:
Sound Mix: 4-Track Stereo (35 mm prints) / 70 mm 6-Track (70 mm prints) / Mono (35 mm prints).
http://imdb.com/title/tt0069113/
-----------------
The Towering Inferno data too, for good measure (via IMDB):
Sound Mix: 4-Track Stereo (35 mm magnetic prints) / 70 mm 6-Track (70 mm prints) / Mono (35 mm optical prints).
http://imdb.com/title/tt0072308/

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I also remember The Poseidon Adventure's 70mm engagement at Houston's Alabama Theatre It played from Christmas 1972 until late spring. Dennis H is absolutely correct in his recollection.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
The sound stats at IMDB are correct for Poseidon and Inferno, but unfortunately, they state 'mono' for MANY older widescreen films that had 4-track magnetic stereo sound...

Thommy...M

Stunt Coordinator

He just thinks it is utter foolishness and crap.

In a New York Times interview a few years ago, Hackman admits he did it for the money and he has never watched the film at all. He pointed out a great little detail as to why he detests the film:

Hackman spoke about the scene where they are all climbing the Christmas tree and all girls remove their skirts and dresses in order to climb...all the girls except the old and plump Shelley Winters. Hackman said he realized then that he was in a film that was really reaching for the lowest common denominator. The audience will get to see hot chicks unclothed, but Ms Winters (who like the others should also be removing her dress in order to climb better) kept her clothes on. Hackman said he realized the film was garbage at that moment.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Gee, I thought the others removed their dresses because they were too tight/long/cumbersome to be able to climb, while Winters' dress wasn't...

I though it funny that when you see her climbing the ladder in the shaft, Jack Albertson seems strategicaly placed beneath her at an angle so we wouldn't see her panties!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I though it funny that when you see her climbing the ladder in the shaft, Jack Albertson seems strategicaly placed beneath her at an angle so we wouldn't see her panties!
And thank God for that! :laugh:
Y'know, I grew up with tubby Shelley - it was a shock when I learned she'd once been a babe...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Hackman's contempt for the film shows in his performance. Hackman is one of the best actors of his generation but he's telephoning his performance in The Poseidon Adventure. Outside of Hackman, Poseidon is one of the best acted of the disaster movies. Hackman's performance in PA may be his worst screen performance.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mr. Hackman's contempt for the film shows in his performance. Hackman is one of the best actors of his generation but he's telephoning his performance in The Poseidon Adventure. Outside of Hackman, Poseidon is one of the best acted of the disaster movies. Hackman's performance in PA may be his worst screen performance.
Really?? I thought he gave a fine performance.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Funny that Hackman won his Best Actor Oscar for The French Connection during the filming of TPA. I guess it still didn't inspire him to give a better performance as Rev. Scott.

I imagine he didn't attend the premiere of the film since he felt that way about the movie...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I think Hackman is actually quite good in THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, and it's one of the reasons I like the film as much as I do.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

So do I. Twenty five years before James Horner wonderfully captured sailing day with music, John Williams score perfectly described an old ocean liner steaming through stormy seas.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
I guess the reason I don't like his performance as much as I should is that I find the character somewhat annoying. Shouting and bullying his way through the ship, yelling at Borgning because McDowell fell in the shaft, freaking out at God after Stevens died in the engine room, etc. I wish his character had been a bit more sympathetic.

I wasn't all that disapointed when he croaked... ;- )

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I guess the reason I don't like his performance as much as I should is that I find the character somewhat annoying. Shouting and bullying his way through the ship, yelling at Borgning because McDowell fell in the shaft, freaking out at God after Stevens died in the engine room, etc. I wish his character had been a bit more sympathetic.
Well, he was quite sympathetic to Miss Winters in the touching scene after she died. :)
I think that's the whole point - that the panic and circumstances make tensions rise. I also like the bit at the end in the engine room where Hackman loses his faith in God.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, but 5 minutes after Winters dies he is back to his old self, and dislocates Carol Lynley's shoulder while yelling at her to get up. LOL !!

I think it's the first time that I really stop and examine the actor's performances. I have always been too preocupied with the fantastic sets, the effects, the music score, etc... Now that I think of it, most performances are very good.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's funny you should mention Carol Lynley -- now, HER character was the most annoying to me. Sniveling, crying, stalling -- I would have yelled at her too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks