The poor mans reciver. Do tell what it is. Any and all opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyden, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

lol im sorry i keep poasting about this stuff but i really need a reciver and since xmass is around the corner i dont have any extra cash i was originaly going to get a 400 dolla HK AVR125 but no cash so cant my max possible is 200 does any one know of a decent 200dola reciver that has atleast one optical out thats assignable to DVD and DDsurround thats all i care about it only has to last me for alittle less then a year please any help at all i would highly apretiate it i have been looking into these

Sherwood SHE RD6108($159)
    Pioneer VSX-D411($199)
    Sony STR-DE485($199)
    Kenwood VR-605($199)
    JVC RX-6020VBK($199)
    Panasonic SA-HE70($199)
    KLH R-5000($141) (i had this one but it was the prototype the rushed to the stores half the features wernt even done but the amp was crazy insain power and no clicking well for the 1300watts total drain in stereo mode and its out put is only 100 per chanel. im sure the new one would be alittle better as its completed now and it is the cheapest one on the list)

and also the
    Onkyo TXDS484($159)
    (this is an open box from the camebridge soundworks warehouse but i cant find any information on it at all and ive heard that the onkyo recivers drop in power for surround i really dont think 20 watts per chan will be enough to drive my speakers and hell knowing that reciver its probably like 15watts per so i dunno but its also quite cheap $159)

thank you for any and all information opinions anything thanks a whole bunch you have no idea homuch anyhting you say can help me lol thank you in dvance

2. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Do your best and save another $100. The jump in quality of receiver is night and day.

3. Mickey Geer

Mickey Geer Agent

I just bought a refurbished Onkyo SR500 and I am quite happy with it. I bought it off the board for around $200

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Stertch yourself a bit and get the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It is a good receiver and can be had in the internet for around $300.

5. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i only want 5.1 nothing more my room is small and i'll be running my stereo inputs through DPII if its there or just DP and my movies are DD dont care for DTS or all that EX BS something cheap for now im moving soon so i cant really spend tones of money all i have is 100 and and extra 100 in a few days the rest is allredy spent no job so no income yet thanks so far though [​IMG] but why the 811s? the 411 is good right??? and the kenwood has better THD then all of them in DD and in stereo... it seems like a good deal or is ther fine print that im missing? ive also heard good things about the panny i used to own a sony way back in 97 that little baby could pump dont know about their new ones though mint has stereo out put of 200 per chanel and 100 per in surround it blew out the cones of the matched speakers it came with lol then i returned it payed for repairs howcome they stoped making recivers that doubbled power in stereo mode ????? its been a while since i was into this stuff i just finnished building a computer and have been into that for the past few years

6. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

I have an RCA STAV-3990 A/V receiver from Radio Shack. It cost me $200, but that model is now on sale from my local RS for $180. Power is 100W x 5, 5.1 with preamplifier sub out and center out. Standard features for low end DD/DTS receiver, except only DPI, not DPII. Three digital audio inputs: one coaxial and two optical. Video switching.

The RS web site no longer lists my model. They have a more recent STAV model for $250 that does have DPII.

You don't see RS equipment mentioned often, for reasons I've been unable to discover. Perfectly good receivers, so far as I know. The STAV models are made by Pioneer, I gather.

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Lyden,

Not wanting to sound harsh,or nagging, but you just said you have no job, thus no income, AND you're moving, and don't want to keep this stuff for more than a year??

Why not save that $200 and use it to live on and then get things settled after the move and see where you are financially, and then consider tucking away a few bucks here and there to get one of the receivers mentioned (like the 811) etc.

Is getting a receiver a real necessity right now??

Just thought your scenario seemed a bit different than most folks looking to buy around here.

But hey, if you think you can cover the $200, go for it! I think the Pioneer 411 would serve you well. I love my Pioneer (811)

8. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

well im not moving alone and im not moving till like 8months from now or later i see ur point but i have 1k put away fro payments and food and my buddy has the otehr bills covered were moving to a diff town so one of us will get a job where the apartment is and the other will work in present location till a job is availible its complicated but weve found it to be the most cost efective for us i say 8 months but tehres a place were looking into right now so maybe like a month or two at soonest and its only got to last for qabout a year or so maybe more i have a loud speaker project at my grandfathers place he started and i'll be benifiting with the completed goods [​IMG] but thanks [​IMG] and you dident sound harsh to me i think i will go wiht the 411 lol some day i'll flow with the big boys and have the 10k HT system till then i'll buy whats cheap cuz the stuff usualy last for 2 years anyways well in my house

9. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

ir eally just want to know wich ones out of the list i gave is really worth buying??? if they are "all" the same should i just grab the KHL and be happy for alittl but if they "arent" the same should i grab the Kenwood for its superior sound quality seeing as how it has the best THD out of all of them and they are all rated at 40Hz-20kHz and they all have atleast one optical input and thats all i really care about oh wait it needs to have a composit output for video i have a TV that doesnt have sound and then plugs on the back the only one that works is the video in cheap POS broksonic TV's but it lasted me like 4 years allmost 5

10. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Ive had a couple of JVC AV recievers,you get lots of bells and whistles for reasonable cost.The ones I had were pretty trouble free,did lots of stuff.When I finally upgraded to a HK 520,I could really tell the difference on all aspects though.

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Lyden, seeing you are hurting for money, I would grab the Shrewood Receiver for $100 that's under "Hardware Forsale" on this board. It's a great entry level receiver that you won't have to put out a lot of money for & it will give you an idea of what you might want in a future receiver when you can afford one. Just my 2 cents[​IMG]

12. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

thank you [​IMG] youre 2cents is greatly apreciated.. sherwood is is better then JVC? i cant do the shiping thing to get it from the board but i can grab the one at CC but they have it for 151 and the JVC is 159 just w0ondering wich to grab ?

13. Ralph Bru

Ralph Bru Stunt Coordinator

I think JVC sucks!

I bought an Onkyo TX-494 after having a JVC 6010

I got the Onkyo open box at CC for $150.00

it was the best purchase i made out of all my components. depending on the size roo you have, I havent felt the need for anymore power. it does quite nice and rarely get to use its potential.

14. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

15. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'd go with the Harman Kardon. In the $200 price range nothing even comes close to it for sound quality & it's has Logic7 which is as good as Dolby Pro-Logic 2.

16. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Lyden-

I'd second the H/K unless you can't buy online. The AVR 120 is what I have and it sounds spectacular for the money! Logic 7 is better than PL II IMO, but PL II is light years ahead of Pro Logic.

If you are set on buying locally, then I can say I enjoyed my JVC 6020. It has PLII and DTS... all the latest bells and whistles.

Bill S.

17. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i just got an open box Pioneer VSX-D810s its missing just about everything and then some but its a really nice sounding reciver it only cost me 105 dollars tax inxluded so i dunno im testing it for now. i have 30 days but i wants looking for high quality stuff just something to get me around for alittle while like ya kow? till i get my computer training done i have to get certifyed then i can get a decent job so. but this reciver was top of the line pioneer back in 01 or so i believe and for 105 dollars its a steal although the remote and replacement drong panel door will put me back the rest of the 200 i originaly had i think it might actualy be worth it but who knows its only the end of day 1 here i have 29 more days and my birth day is the 11th so i should get an extra 75 for then hmmm and i'd still have a few days left to return this thing but you think i can get something with as good sound wuality as this for 200 dollars?

18. Ralph Bru

Ralph Bru Stunt Coordinator

it all comes down to sound.....

Yamaha, h/K and onkyo are your BEST bets.

Pioneer , JVC and anything else on that line is pure junk. but if I had to choose it would be pioneer. pioneer is ok for the price but still you can find deals in an onkyo or yamaha for the same price as a pioneer. JVC is the worst.... i thought it sounded good till i got a onkyo and i couldnt believe the difference. there is a difference. put them side by side and test them as I did. QUALITY! thats why I think JVC is junk. way over priced.

19. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i've had good experiences with onkyo. i bought the 484 for cheap when the 494 came out. my room is 10x12, dedicated to h/t, only one opening -a door- one window. i have heavy curtains on 2 walls and a rug on another. i run a powered sub with my set-up of efficient speakers.
    the sound is awesome and loud when i want it. i've never had a problem with the receiver and there seems to be enuf power to go 'round.
    my 2 cents