What's new

The Police Live! SACD reissued as a single disc? (US pressing) (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or was The Police Live! SACD reissued as a single disc? I am talking about the US pressing here. In perusing the SACDs at Circuit City today, it struck me odd that the Live! SACD was $14.99, just like the Police single-disc SACDs I am familair with. I thought I had found a bargain because I remembered Live! being a two-disc set and being marked $25 at Best Buy. Then when I got home, I was surprised to see just one disc in the case. There is no mention of two discs on the back insert and no "2CD" imprinted on the jewel case tray. Is my memory failing me?

Here is a little info. on the disc I bought. The catalog number is 069 493 608-2. The disc has a black coating with text in red and "clear" (aluminum). Here are the tracks:

Orpheum WBCN/Boston Broadcast
1. Next To You
2. So Lonely
3. Truth Hits Everybody
4. Walking On The Moon
5. Hole In My Life
6. Fall Out
7. Bring On The Night
8. Message In A Bottle
9. The Bed's Too Big Without You
10. Peanuts
11. Roxanne
12. Can't Stand Losing You
13. Landlord
14. Born In The 50's
15. Be My Girl/Sally

Atlanta/Synchronicity Concert
16. Synchronicity I
17. Synchronicity II
18. Walking In Your Footsteps
19. Message In A Bottle
20. O My God
21. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
22. Wrapped Around Your Finger
23. Tea In The Sahara
24. Spirits In The Material World
25. King Of Pain
26. Don't Stand So Close To Me
27. Every Breath You Take
28. Roxanne
29. Can't Stand Losing You
30. So Lonely

So you can see that some tracks repeat. If I am correct that there is a two-disc SACD, are the tracklistings the same as on my disc? I am thinking that this title was reissued since all the tracks can fit on one disc. SACD, of course, offers greater storage capacity than CD.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

The SACD has always been a single disc release. I also purchased this at Circuit City and also thought that something was weird because of the low $14.99 price. It turns out that the full 142 minutes is there (it is two different live performances) and that CC simply mis-priced the disc. I guess since this is not a hybrid, a second layer was added to accomdate the long running time of the disc. My serial number also matches yours. I think it is one of the better sounding live discs I've heard btw.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, what do you mean that Circuit City mispriced the disc? Do you mean that other retailers are charging more for Live! than other Police SACDs? If so, I guess the rationale is that you are getting a lot more music on the single-disc Live! than other single-disc Police titles. As I said, I seem to recall seeing Live! for $25 at Best Buy. Was that for just one disc?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just went to circuitcity.com and they show the Live! SACD for $24.99 and list the tracks on two discs. :)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

Nearly every retailer (b/m and online) I've been to has this disc for $24.99. As I've stated, CC probably priced this incorrectly at $14.99 like the other single-disc Police SACD's not realizing that this is a double album on a single disc. Since CC.com is now listing it at $14.99, perhaps they have now discovered the error. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I agree with you. At $14.99, the Live SACD was a true bargain.

On a related subject, another SACD bargain I found the same day was The Zombies Greatest Hits on the Audio Fidelity label for a mere $12.99 at Best Buy. It was done by Steve Hoffman, and as such, it sounds exquisite. If The Zombies are your cup of tea, I highly recommend this disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks