What's new

The Police - DTS Surround CD (1 Viewer)

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I wish they would release the original albums in surround. Tea In The Sahara would sound fabulous coming from all sides. I love the Police, but will not buy a "hits" package. I think most of their genius was in songs that were never hits.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Do you find the mix fatiguing to listen to, not artistically, but sonically? I just played through the disc at my normal listening levels and...it just got hard to listen to. I wanted to turn it off to clear my head.

Surround discs like "Buena Vista Social Club" don't exhibit this problem. I really like The Police, but I wish that the 5.1 mixes were easier to listen to. Their later tracks lend themselves better to 5.1 remixing as well.

-JNS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have this disc, and although I haven't listened to it in awhile, I don't recall having any problems with the sound. It's a great disc. Sure, the mix is gimmicky, but it is a nice change of pace from the standard CDs. The intro. to "de do do do, de da da da" is wild on the DTS CD. It stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I like it simply as an alternative to the CDs. I have the CDs anyway, and this just gives me a way to hear some of them in surround. Yes, ideally I would prefer the albums in high-res, but c'est la vie.

I find it to be a fun disc.

However, Sting's "Nothing Like the Sun" disc, for me, was all white noise! (or is it pink noise?) I exchanged it twice with no luck. Did anyone else get that?

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I was disappointed that they substituted a completely different take of De Doo Doo Doo on this set. (It's the same take of the song used on the CD or LP version of this album, but not the same one found on Zenyatta Mondata - which was the one that became the hit).

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The liner notes from Message in a box indicate they remade Don't Stand and De do do do in a session for a greatest hits package that would have remakes of all their hits, but the sessions stopped at those two songs and they never got back together. The eventual Greatest hits collection only had one song, Don't Stand So Close To me '86 it was titled, but the other finished one of De do do do never surfaced. is that version by chance the one on the DTS CD?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Keith. I figured it was just a bad pressing or something, and the whole batch in that store is messed up. Oh well.

NP: Nitty Gritty Surround, DVD-A

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Mike. Hope you find a good copy. It would be nice if DTS could put out some Sting titles on DVD-Audio. There I go dreaming again. :frowning:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if DTS could put out some Sting titles on DVD-Audio.
Yeah. Nothing Like the Sun, Brand New Day, Tem Sumnor's Tales- all on DTS. It would indeed be nice to get DVD-As of them...

While they're at it, go back and re-do Allman Brothers Fillmore East, Santana Abraxas (though that's out on SACD anyway, albeit stereo only), Steely Dan Gaucho, Bach Uncommon Bach, Handel Messiah, Tchaikovsky Classics, Moody Blues Days of Future Passed and Seventh Sojourn, and so on and onward.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, while we are dreaming, it would be nice if DTS would put out Sting's Dreaming of the Blue Turtles on DVD-Audio. They never even did that one on a DTS CD.
There was word a long time ago that Universal would be releasing Steely Dan Gaucho on SACD. With Universal supposedly putting out some SACDs either by the end of this year or next, maybe Gaucho will come out after all. I'd like to see Aja on SACD too. :)

No problem with any of the 3 DTS CDs by Sting, and no problem with the Police disc either. I think they all sound great, especially "Brand New Day." I agree, it would be better to have them on DVD-A, but these are still nice and much more enjoyable than regular CDs.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
, it would be nice if DTS would put out Sting's Dreaming of the Blue Turtles on DVD-Audio.
My favorite Sting album.

I'm glad that the Sting DTS CDs happen to be albums I actually like. Sting's other albums, like Soul Cages, are too depressing and whiny for me. Sting is talented, but sometimes he overdoes it with the whole tortured artist thing. Sometimes the man just annoys me. Turtles, Summner, and New Day are at least good, fun pop albums.

NP: Todd Rundgren, A Wizard, A True Star

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, if Aja comes out on SACD, store security might have to fend me off with a stick, if a store actually gets it. :) I love Aja from beginning to end. A masterpiece.
I hear you with Sting. I love everything on Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like the Sun, but with other Sting albums, I like some songs and loathe others. Sting's perspective definitely changed after going solo.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
However, Sting's "Nothing Like the Sun" disc, for me, was all white noise! (or is it pink noise?) I exchanged it twice with no luck. Did anyone else get that?
I remember back in the days before I got my AV-P9080 my Technics DVD-A10 used to do the same thing. But my Millenium picked it up no problem. I think it's a mastering problem with that disc only, none of my other DTS discs do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks