"The Point" Animated Feature Film???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Derek Baker, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any info on a DVD release of this great animated feature film by Fred Wolf??? My VHS copy has died and it really is a landmark film...but i can't find any release info in terms of a DVD release.

2. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Wow-I forgot about this little gem. Me and My Arrow!

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Straight up and narrow...

I haven't seen this since it's original airing back in the early 70s (??), but I can still hear much of the Harry Nilsson soundtrack in my head. I'd love to see whoever owns it get it out on DVD.

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Check this subject at www.jadebox.com The Harryheads will be glad to discuss this or any other Nilsson facts.
    Jim

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Thanks for the pointer, Jim! I dug around and found this tidbit on their news page (posted Jan. 10, 2002):

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i renember the first time i saw this i was very young 4 or 5 ??. anyway it scared the daylites outa me.

it was on here in philly about 5 years ago on channel 48.

7. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Which narration will they use if they put it out on DVD? IIRC, the VHS version (and all re-airings on TV) had a different narration than the original broadcast.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I think I remember watching this back to back with a broadcast of Yellow Submarine when I was a kid. According to the IMDB, there have been four narrators for this.

First airing: Dustin Hoffman

Second airing: Alan Barzman

Home video: Ringo Starr

Third airing (most recent): Alan Thicke

Regards,

9. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

With dvd, there's no technical reason why we couldn't have all narrated versions on one disc via separate audio tracks. Now, the rights deal is another issue entirely. But, if they could hurdle that, they could please everyone at once with this. I personally would want Hoffman's narration, as that's how I saw it, but I'd also like to check out Ringo's narration, and I'm sure children of the '80s would want the Alan Thicke one.

I love The Point! It's certainly a Point of reference for my childhood and for my family. We watched it when it was broadcast, and got the album when it came out. I can't wait for that remastered cd!

It's funny to see this news/thread now, as just last week I turned a fellow Horrordvds.com member onto the Point. We were talkin' '60s-70s animation, and he didn't really remember The Point. He went to Morpheus and got the whole soundtrack! Damned if I can find it though. Anyway, he said he listened to it constantly for like two days. Too cool, huh? It's great to see that it holds up after all these years.

Oblio and Arrow forevah!

10. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I noticed at this site http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/fo...opic.php?t=945 it listed The Point as being released on August 19th. Does anyone know if this is the animated 1971 TV movie? If so, I need to pre-order this baby right away. Any help is appreciated.

11. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Nobody has any info on this???? Any help would be appreciated.