What's new

The Plot Thickens. TCM podcast on PETER BOGDANOVICH (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Watching TCM i see the promos for the podcast on director Peter Bogdanovich so a few nights ago i decided to start listening to them. About to listen to Episode five and have to say an excellent series with Peter talking about his film career with host Ben Mankiewicz and his relationships with Polly Platt, Cybil Shepherd and Orson Welles. You get to hear new interviews with Cybil and producer Frank Marshall and archival interviews.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Cool, I will check that out. I like to listen to podcasts in the car and I do a considerable amount of driving. I need more podcasts to check out, thank you!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just finished listening to episode 5 last night and it was mostly on Peter's film Saint Jack which i liked and have it on my shelf.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cool, I will check that out. I like to listen to podcasts in the car and I do a considerable amount of driving. I need more podcasts to check out, thank you!
You might like the most recent episodes of You Must Remember This that were focused on the life of Polly Platt. Peter Bogdanovich is a frequent topic in the early episodes.

If you're unfamiliar with the show, "You Must Remember This is the podcast exploring the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century." There's a ton of great episodes focusing on many topics like what the stars did during WWII, the women of Howard Hughes, the Blacklist, Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff and, the most popular episodes, Charles Manson's connections to Hollywood.

JoeStemme

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph
I listened to the TCM/Bogdanovich and the You Must Remember This/Platt podcasts back to back.

It's interesting to hear the two versions of events. Bogdanovich says that Platt was just an assistant, while many of those around Platt (she has passed, but left an unfinished autobiography) insist that she was a virtual co-Director on the projects which made Bogdanovich's career. The truth is probably more on Bogdanovich's side, however, the Platt case is pretty strong that she was a significant influence. His career really has never been the same since.

Both Bogdanovich and Platt had a major character flaw - Bogdanovich's ego and Platt's alcoholism.

I look forward to seeing what you all think once you listed to both podcasts.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Rian Johnson's wife runs that podcast. FYI.

You might like the most recent episodes of You Must Remember This that were focused on the life of Polly Platt. Peter Bogdanovich is a frequent topic in the early episodes.

If you're unfamiliar with the show, "You Must Remember This is the podcast exploring the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century." There's a ton of great episodes focusing on many topics like what the stars did during WWII, the women of Howard Hughes, the Blacklist, Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff and, the most popular episodes, Charles Manson's connections to Hollywood.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting to hear the two versions of events. Bogdanovich says that Platt was just an assistant, while many of those around Platt (she has passed, but left an unfinished autobiography) insist that she was a virtual co-Director on the projects which made Bogdanovich's career. The truth is probably more on Bogdanovich's side, however, the Platt case is pretty strong that she was a significant influence. His career really has never been the same since.
Yeah, co-director seems extreme but Bogdanovich's movies took a dive in quality after their marriage fell apart so she was clearly a valuable collaborator. More than anything, it's just more proof that the auteur theory is almost always total bullshit. All the people in a production matter.

schmo

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Schmo
Rian Johnson's wife runs that podcast. FYI.

I've listened to the podcast over the years but after seeing her in person a year ago at a forum discussing her podcast....I found her to be quite annoying and find it difficult to listen to her again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francischen
Recent bookmarks