'The Player' New Line Platinum Series - how is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Saw this last night. Its been years since I've seen it and it was much better than I remembered. I know this is now a very old disc. But it is New Line, and as far as I know, they've never done a really bad transfer. So how is it?
    I'd love to own this film, and New Line haven't disappointed me yet, so is there any reason not to get it?
    Edit:
    Widescreen Review's assessment isn't very positive.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Wow, I'm surprised the WSR review didn't use the term "undistinguished mono". [​IMG]

3. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

The commentary track on it is very dull.

4. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Chuck is right: the DVD commentary isn't a patch on the fantastic Altman/Tolkin track on the Criterion LD, but I think the presentation of the movie itself is just fine. It holds up pretty well for such an early DVD release.
    The flesh tones are orange-y, as WSR says, but that was true of the "Director Approved" LD, too: I think it's just the way the film was shot and not a telecine problem.
    My only real issue with the DVD has to do with the low-frequency component of the soundtrack: it's hugely loud compared to the rest of the mix. I wonder if New Line neglected to flip a 10db pad switch somewhere in the dub. This is the only DVD for which I've actually had to turn down the level on my subwoofer.
    I'd say go ahead and get it. You can always blame me if you're unhappy with it. [​IMG]

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

This was one of New Line's very first DVDs. I should know, as I worked for Michael Tolkin at the time and remember what a big deal it was for him to get a DVD player (which weren't cheap at the time-- late 1997) in return for the new commentary. He was pretty sick of being only known as the "Player guy" at that time, which is why the commentary is a little dry.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I see this now should street for roughly $15-ish, and I saw it at Circuit City the other day. I may finally pick this up!

7. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I rented this a little less than a year ago, transfer wasn't too bad, pretty standard for DVDs of that time, and I seem to remember it having a lot of interesting extras, and I rarely find most extras interesting.

8. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

The movie is great... the transfer isn't bad enough to be distracting but certainl could've been a lot better given the age of the film.

I'll second Douglas' point though... just go ahead and turn your sub down. From the opening music it's way loud, and unpleasantly so. I don't think it would damage anything, but compared to the rest of the mix, if you have your stuff set at normal levels you won't hear anything but LFE.

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Thanks guys, I think I'll pick this up. Luckily I don't have a sub, so the LFE shouldn't intrude on my system.
    I don't understand. Are WR known for using that phrase too often?

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Paul,
    [tangent]In my opinion WSR can sometimes be picky to the point of anal-retentiveness. Any time a filmmaker such as Woody Allen chooses not to express himself through stereo seperation, the soundtrack is always given a poor review regardless of its actual quality. "This undistinguished mono track is totally uninvolving" etc. Also, I appreciate widescreen advocacy as much as anyone here, but this magazine refuses to review Citizen Kane because it is 1.33. [​IMG]
    In their defense, I do use their site to look up aspect ratios of DVDs and LDs. They are the only folks I know of who actually measure the image on the screen rather than reading the back of the box or going to IMDB.[/tangent]
    Sorry for going off on that tangent. In regards to THE PLAYER, I enjoyed the Criterion commentary immensely. I picked up the DVD for the anamorphic picture and never listened to the commentary on that one. The Criterion LD does have some extra supplements that are not on the DVD, such as one or two extra deleted scenes, and a history of other movies about "producers", which I found quite informative. I haven't watched the DVD in a while but it looked pretty good back then. [​IMG]

11. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Using it? They practically invented it. It's too bad, because there are some surprisingly full sounding mono discs out there...