The Plague Dogs....any hope for this on DVD??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kami, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I saw this by chance on TV tonight, and this is probably the best animated film I've ever seen. It just grabbed me and didn't let go. It's not for kids by any means, it has a really dark look and feel to it and the movie is pretty depressing but there's some good messages underneath it all.
    After a bit of searching I found out this is available on VHS, but I think it may be OOP as I've only seen used copies.
    Is there any hope for this on DVD or is it one of those films that is going to be neglected until it's gone forever? I may have to resort to buying a VHS on ebay if it's the only way to own this.
    Here's its IMDB listing: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0084509

2. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Looks like I posted too soon...I just found some great news while searching google. I came across this fan site:
    http://plaguedogs.homestead.com/
    It looks like Anchor Bay will be salvaging this film and it's coming out on DVD this fall!! YES!
    [​IMG]
    http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=ABD4120
    Even better it will be 2.35:1! I saw it in pan&scan on TV...can't wait to see it in OAR!
    Well maybe this post will at least expose some more people to this awesome film.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Wow, that's great news! There was some discussion about this title when Watership Down (another excellent animated film based on a Richard Adams book) was released on DVD last year.
    Another title to add to the growing list!

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

YES!! I have been waiting for this film for a long time and now I'm going to get it. I just hope it is the unedited version and that they actually put some work in to making a decent transfer. Now all I need is for Nelvana productions to announce they are releasing "Rock and Rule" on disc....so that I can FINALLY see it. I have been waiting to see that film ever since its abortion of a release.

"Rock and Rule" was scheduled once to be aired on CBC but was pre-empted for a Stanley Cup game. I actually phoned the local station and bitched when they canceled it for a stupid hockey game. I have disliked hockey ever since.

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Can't you be shot for that in Canada? [​IMG]

6. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

You're all wrong, I'm afraid. It's being released in the UK by Anchor Bay, not in the US, with this lot:
    Deleted scenes
    Trailer
    Memorabilia
    Photo gallery
    Film Notes
    Biography of John Hurt.
    It's only £9.99 from Play.com, so any fans would be well advised to treat themselves.
    Anchor Bay have done us proud in the UK so far - superior versions of Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Mona Lisa and The Long Good Friday have all surfaced.

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

8. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Damnit! Region 2 only eh? Well if I ordered it then I'd only be able to play it on my computer...hmmm [​IMG] $15US isn't too, too bad.
    Better than nothing i guess...
    North America not worthy for this release or what? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Wow, this is a real nice surpise. I hope Anchor Bay also has, or can obtain, the Region 1 rights to this film. I already sold my OOP, cropped VHS tape some time ago in anticipation of a DVD release.
    [/q]North America not worthy for this release or what? [/q]
    I doubt it has anything to do with worthiness. Anchor Bay simply has rights to different titles in different regions. Not an unusual thing. It's just a little tough to swallow at times when one sees that they've got excellent releases of films like The Plague Dogs and Paris, Texas lined up for release in...Region 2. Such is life. They'll get to these shores eventually or, if you can't wait, purchase a multi-region player.
    There are so many more titles available only in Region 1 or in superior versions in Region 1, that one really can't complain too much.
    IMHO, with the countless great titles either here or on the way, it's a great time to be a DVD owner.
    Jon

10. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

11. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Hahah yeah i was joking guys. I know about rights/etc. Just blowin off some steam [​IMG]

12. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

Does anyone know the sales numbers for Watership Down?
    I'm sure that will be the determining factor for a Region 1 release for plague Dogs.

13. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

BTW, If anyone is still interested -

I contacted Anchor Bay and asked them if they were releasing this title for North America. They said that they did not have the rights to release it for this region.

It would be nice if whomever had the rights to this title would release it on DVD, uncut and unedited.
    I do not believe that it has ever been released in North America without being heavily cut- in any format.

14. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Let's hope the U.S. rights have changed. The (heavily edited) VHS was from Columbia Tristar. Based on that studio's recent track record, Plague Dogs would be ripe for a full-screen-only DVD.

15. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Good to hear that it is being released. I saw this film about 15 years ago and I still get choked up thinking about it. Very powerful and very emotional. I agree that it is not for kids and may be just too hard to watch for those people that really love dogs. I thought John Hurt did a wonderful job providing the voice of one of the dogs.

Looking forward to seeing it again! (Alone, though, so no one can see me cry!)

16. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

Scott,

Well I'm glad that you are happy.
    As for myself...well, this is one of those days that I wish that I had invested in a multi-region DVD player.

17. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Well, even though I don't have a multi-region player I'll be picking this up. I can at least watch it through the computer until I do get a multi-region player. Better than nothing, and better than VHS!