What's new

The Placement of Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
OK,

Like I have posted in other threads, I have my Tempest drivers (two of them) and although I thought I was building a dual Tempest sonosub, I might have to go with twin conventional Adire Alignment vented subs due to SAF. I will know by the end of the week which way this will go. If I do have to go with two subs instead of one with two drivers, I was wondering about placement. They are probably going to be too large and heavy to stack at about 38" tall. Would side by side placement work? I guess I have two questions.

1. Do I have to worry about wave cancellation with side by side placement, or should I really find a way to stack these? If I did stack them, I guess I could go with one firing down and one firing up. Would this work with separate plate amps in each?

2. Will two AVA250 plate amps be adequet to drive these? Is there any downside in using the PE equivalent plate amp? I'm confused as to whether or not that one has a rumble filter. Do I really need a rumble filter?

As always, thanks to everyone for your help!

Jeff

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jeffery,

There will be no problem placing the subs side by side.

I’m not familiar with these plate amps, but for best performance all you really need to do is choose an amplifier that matches the sub’s power-handling capabilities.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Jeffrey,
If you stack them won't they then be the same height as the single sub you originally were going to build?? Weren't you also building the 24"x72" or 28"x53" that I'm doing??
I decided on 28"x53" and have the tube cut and it's big, but I can hide it behind my TV, so no biggie. I'm also pretty lucky as my wife is pretty understanding about this stuff, especially when she here's how good it sounds.
I recently bought a pair of Klipsch KLF-30's for mains; 4' tall, about 16" wide, and about 20" deep. Initially she was NOT impressed with how big they were, but once she heard them she loved them!!
Wish my Tempests were here already...:frowning:

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help Wayne.

Hi Mike,

It's great to see that you've started on your sub. You're right. If I stack these, were looking at about the same height that the original 24" dual Tempest sonosub would have been that we both considered. These would be very similar configurations especially if stacked with the upper Tempest pointed toward the ceiling. But at approx 6 1/2 feet, these would be quite imposing. They would, however be narrower than the 24" sonotube at 22 1/2" wide with finish applied.

My wife is generally very good about this kind of thing as well. She pretty much lets me do anything I want in our finished basement, which is where our HT is. But I felt I had to really explain, in advance, what I would be building in a dual Tempest. As you've already said, it's pretty big and it won't fit behind my TV. She likes the idea of two conventional woodgrain finished boxes better than a sonotube, and I just feel lucky that she would even be so indulgent of me as to let me build these. So I'm very willing to compromise. I think you and I are very lucky to have wives that let us be such big kids.

A final decision will be made this week. I'll let you know what I end up doing. I'm going to take some pics along the way. Please keep me informed of your progress.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks