What's new

The Pixies Off Broadway (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Will Bryant reports:

This week's Entertainment Weekly reports that New York writer/producer Josh Frank is working on a musical based on the life of Frank Black. Frank has reportedly discussed the project with former Pixies Joey Santiago, David Lovering, and Black himself, who was initially quite amused at the prospect until he realized that Frank, who most recently assisted on a production of the Janis Joplin-inspired musical Love, Janis, was serious.

The musical, entitled "Teenager of the Year," would follow the entire career trajectory of the Pixies and include songs both from that period and from Black's solo career. The article does not mention any involvement from Pixies bassist Kim Deal (even though it would kill to see Lili Taylor portray the younger Mrs. John Murphy).

Josh Frank describes "Teenager of the Year" as "sort of a beat poem to the 80's [and] how alternative rock crashed the mainstream party." The project follows extremely successful musicals based on the output of ABBA ("Mamma Mia") and Culture Club ("Taboo"), but is apparently the first full-blown musical biography to take on a legend of alternative rock. Frank hopes to open the show next spring Off Broadway. And you thought you were so cool, singing along to Surfer Rosa with the windows down as you jammed down the freeway, when the whole time you were belting out showtunes!
How oddly cool would that be?

Bob_C

Agent
PLEASE let this happen. It would be so cool! But Kim Deal would have to be involved. What can I say, I'm a Breeders fan too! ;)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I can't believe I missed this thread yesterday. This is really, ummm, unique. It would definitely be worth seeing regardless of Kim Deal's approval.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
One of the 'stranger than fiction' items.
Kim is out and about these days still chain smoking and rockin out, saw her in a small club in SF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks