'THE PITTS', mildly funny, but immensley wierd.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Inspector Hammer!, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Did anyone catch this show? IMO it was too disorganized to really last as it is. It had it's moments, most of them subtle, like the huge boulders that sit ominously over their house waiting to fall, but mostly it was just plain strange. How can we care enough to watch a show every week when the main charactors are as bizarre as these?

A show featuring a family that's happy all the time can't last IMO because we'll just get sick too fast watching them. They also didn't capitalize enough on the shows main hook, which is this family's history with bad luck, the show needs to focus on that more, that was funny.

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

Was this the show with the nanny? I was flipping through the channels and noticed a new show on FOX I haven't seen before. If so, I didn't even wait until the commercial, I continued to flip the channels after about 2 mins of watching

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    That's the one. I'll give the show a couple of more chances, but as I said, it needs direction and better charactor development.

4. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I absolutely agree. The sister was one of the main characters on that MTV made movie called Everybody's Doing It (I am pretty sure thats what it's called).

But yes, very unorganized clumbsy humor. Canned laughter wasn't even half justified, stupid jokes. I only laughed at the alter boy implication and what the worst that could happen to him, as I am Roman Catholic.

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I fell asleep.

I give it until the begining of sweeps in May at most.

6. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Right as the show started, I told my fiancee that there was a slight chance it could be good, and if it was, it would be really good. Otherwise, it would probably suck like Oliver Beene. It was as weird as advertised, but I wasn’t very good at all. I was expecting something more clever and more funny. A couple of good lines, but hey, even Yes Dear can make you chuckle every now and then. The jokes in the first half totally fell flat. Are you supposed to laugh because they aren’t funny? It is just a goof on Small Wonder and Full House and all those terrible “family” shows with bad laugh tracks and cringe inducing “jokes”?

The laugh track sounds totally canned (it sounds like the canned laughter from Small Wonder). Did the producers do it on purpose as a joke, or did the execs force it on them? Or did the execs request a laugh track so the producers picked out the cheesiest one they could find?

I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’d be shocked if it wasn’t cancelled.

7. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

The ads said "From the writers of 'The Simpsons'", so I just watched it to see which writers they were actually involved. Mike Scully was the only Simpsons writer that I noticed in the credits. (And one of the kids had a bunch of Simpsons merchandise in their room.)

8. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I was sorry to see an actor as good as Dylan Baker get involved in something this awful.

Rob

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

BIG [​IMG]

10. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I caught the promos, taped all of Fox's Sunday Night lineup (had a lot of work to do) so I've not watched it yet... thought it looked like a live-action Simpsons?!

11. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It was down right horrible!

Why couldn't they have done it more like either the 80's BBC show about the crazy flat roommates and all the horrible, yet funny things that always happen to them. That was a hoot! I can't remember the name of the show, however.

Or, they could have made it more like a Malcom in the Middle with no laugh track and have it less joky, and forced. Even on The Simpsons, they sometimes play the jokes straight and less like one-liners, or more like throw away lines where you have to understand the inside joke to get it.

Out of the two new shows, Oliver Beene and The Pits, Oliver Beene has the most promise. Last Sunday's show gave me a little hope. Make it more like The Wonder Years, but with a more humorous take. They can delve into serious subjects like school integration and other issues of those times, but put a funny spin to it (there is sometimes laughter with the tears).

Dan