What's new

The Pitts: How is this show still on the air????!?! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've seen some atrocious sitcoms in my time but this one's right down at the very bottom of the darkest barrel.

Slapstick stupidity about an unlucky family. The sight gags are awful, the jokes are abysmal, the cast is bland and uninteresting, and the laugh track sounds like it should be getting paid overtime.

Fox doesn't want Futurama or Andy Richter Controls the Universe but The Pitts gets a Sunday night time slot. :confused:

Anyone else seen this one yet?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was created by my least favorite Simpsons writer, Mike Scully, so what do you expect? I agree that they're are plenty of shows that deserve the spot more.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Wow. Three times a charm -- I'm not going to waste any more time on this show.

About as funny as Whoops!

Hanson

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I rather like the casting of the parents, but beyond that, the couple funny gags they've had were stolen from better shows.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... I actually wasn't too fond of the first couple episodes, but "Squarewolves" had me short of breath from laughter. I figure the show is a parody of the bland family sitcom, with generic characters having attacking large and trivial problems the same, complete with an overenthusiastic laugh track despite the claim that it's filmed "before a live studio audience".

It reminds me of Police Squad!, in a way - spoofing and already-anachronistic genre. Trying to make something deliberately campy is hard (and almost always a bad idea), but the show really scored for me last night.

Of course, it'll probably come to the same end as Police Squad! (without the movie follow-ups) - six episodes made and aired, and that's okay, because the concept really couldn't hold up to a 22-episode season.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
i was suprised at kinda how dumb it was.....
is the acting meant to be a little bad? kinda b movie -ish

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Reading these posts made me think of that show "The Oblongs" that used to be on the WB...that show had some good moments from the brief time it was on the air...did anyone else like this one?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I didn't really like the first episode of "The Pitts." Then in the second episode the girl went surfing with her car. That was the moment that made the show click for me. It was no longer a very stupid sitcom, but was suddenly a very clever spoof of very stupid sitcoms. While it's not there yet, I think this show has the potential to become a glorious piece of absurdist TV art, along the lines of "Get a Life."

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
:thumbsdown:

We managed 15 minutes last night and won't be back for more. You could almost see this as a 'so bad it's good' one off. But to think that it will be repeated week after week tells me that Fox is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
After rather liking a bunch of things I'd been told were bad (like Serving Sara), I had begun to wonder if I had any taste at all. Then I saw the Pitts, and sure enough, I didn't like it.

I think the problem is largely that it's far too out there. Even the most out there, slapstick comedies usually have some sort of point. If the Pitts has any point at all, it's that sitcoms are ridiculous, which was made much better by That's My bush.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the show is just WAY too corny and I find myself not sitting down to watch it, but I'll leave it on in the background as I surf the web.

But then I thought of something. Since the show is written by a Simpsons writter, I wonder if it would be funnier if it were a cartoon? A lot of the jokes are TOO far fetched to work as live action, I think they'd work better as cartoon characters.

I mean, imagine some of your favorite Simpson episodes turned into live action, they'd probably stink as well.

IMO

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The Pitts... Oliver Beene... ugh!

We had to give up Futurama for these two shows? I'd even take Greg the Bunny over either one of these anyday! In my opinion, Fox has only 4 quality shows left: Boston Public, 24, Malcolm, and The Simpsons.

I long for the days of The X-Files, Sliders, and Millennium. Now we are stuck with the likes of John Doe, Fastlane, American Blah-dol, Joe Trillionaire, Married by America, Date my Mommy, When Transvestite Nazi's Attack, etc...

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
a very clever spoof of very stupid sitcoms
Yeah, what he said... although "very clever" might be pushing it a bit. I get a kick out of The Pitts, but I wouldn't go too far out of my way to watch it. Oliver Beene on the other hand...

However, I would take even Oliver Beene over Futurama. I think I'd rather have my eyes dug out with sticks than ever see another episode of Futurama.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Although I've enjoyed The Simpsons for years, lately I've gotten tired of it. For the past season or so, it consistently fails to elicit any laughs from me. Same goes for The Pitts to a far greater extent.

On the topic of Oliver Beene, in spite of that adult-voiceover-flashback-Wonder Years device, I am thoroughly enjoying this show and its characters.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I didn't liek Oliver Beene's pilot, but the show hasn't been bad since. Not very original, though.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think I'd rather have my eyes dug out with sticks than ever see another episode of Futurama
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Looks like The Pitts got canned! Cool!

Oliver Beene, while not original (a variation on Malcolm in the Middle), is still cute and a lot better than much of the pure shit on network TV nowadays!

I loved last night's episode where Oliver flashed to one of his most memorable experiences as a kid besides the live TV kids show disaster: two hot twins taking their tops off for him in college or high school!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Looks like The Pitts got canned!
Oh well, that takes me from 3 hours of TV a week to 2.5 hours a week (Will & Grace, 24, Simpsons, Malcolm). Although if The Simpsons continues to be as mediocre as it usually has been this season, I'll be down to 2 hours a week soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks