The Pink Panther Film Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    A Shot In The Dark was an adaption of who-done-it stage play which Sellers had adapted to fit Clouseau by William Peter (Exorcist) Blatty of all people. It's his best performance as Clouseau by far. When the series returned the following decade it was generally structured around mostly brilliant set-pieces and slapstick. I just think he was at his purest in Shot in the Dark. On saying that, the lines I most remember are from the 70's films!

On being arrested in drag:
    "Don't let these legs fool you. I'm really a man!"

And the immortal:
    "Does your dog bite?"
    "No".
    (Pets dog. Gets bitten)
    "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite?"
    "That..is not my dog."

My father had the experience of working as his Stand-In when he shot a bank commercial here in Dublin. An utter perfectionist. Also one of the first to use video playback to nail his performance. I think those commercials were included on the DVD box set some years ago. Plus he joined the movie pub quiz in our local. My dad says he really knew his film trivia!

He died the following week. Way too young. And planing another film: Romance of the Pink Panther.

Jack K, Tony Bensley, Will*B and 7 others like this.
  2. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Wow. This is great news and even better that it includes only the Peter Sellers films. Any word on if it includes the cartoons that were rumored to be released with this set on blu? Only negative is that since this is being released by Shout it will be tough to get this for a good price.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  3. PMF

PMF Screenwriter

Philip
    Prices and favorite titles aside, it's just altogether great that "The Pink Panther" series is finally available on BD.
    A "Thank You" to SHOUT.:)

BobO'Link and SAhmed like this.
  4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Same for me, but I was 4ish. Amazing that the film still sticks with me to this day as a defining cinema experience. Saw it in the biggest theatre in town, the Paramount. https://goo.gl/maps/k9HpLpsBGvw

5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    I just realized last night that this collection also includes Trail of the Pink Panther. I'd looked at the current price and went "Wait... that's $20/film for 5 films - not $16.67!" and looked at the films included again to see what I'd missed. It just didn't register that, in spite of him appearing only in flashbacks from the prior films, it still "stars" Sellers and is included for that reason. It's one of those I just don't think of as being a Sellers Pink Panther film and pretty much lump it in with Curse of and Son of as being generally a waste of time and Pink Panther films in name only. Frankly, I'd rather have Inspector Clouseau with Alan Arkin than Trail, but as neither are all that good I'm not complaining! I'll just watch the first 5 and forget Trail is there (OK... I'll watch it *once* to make sure the disc is good but not again). :)

6. atfree

atfree Cinematographer

Alex
    Just FYI....Shout is currently offering the set for $79.99 with deliver 2 weeks before street date....
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-comedy/the-pink-panther-film-collection-starring-peter-sellers

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I am teetering on this offer.

First of all, standard shipping is $7. That's okay, but it adds a week delivery time to the offer. So, now, you are getting the title only a week early instead of two.

Not a huge deal as you still are getting a savings over Amazon.

However...

I expect the Amazon price to drop further by release date. At least I hope so. I feel more confident getting it from Amazon -- especially if I need to return it.

I'll think on this one a little more....

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Patience is a virtue!:) It also saves you money.;)

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  9. atfree

atfree Cinematographer

Alex
    Yeah, I've kept my Amazon pre-order too. I ran the Shout offer through my cart, with shipping my total was $86.48, so I'm hoping the Amazon price drops into that area before release.

10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    I had pretty much the same thoughts. But I'm done thinking. I fully expect the Amazon price to drop at least to $80 before release day. If not, I'll just cancel and wait for the inevitable drop to that price. It'll happen... it's just a matter of when, but it doesn't happen as often with Shout! titles as those from other vendors so you have to pay attention and be patient.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you are patient and can wait a month or two after release date, this will probably be $70 or less at Amazon. I'll wait for it to get at least that low before ordering. After all, I have waited this long for these films on BD -- I can wait a little more.

12. atfree

atfree Cinematographer

Alex
  13. JoelA

JoelA Cinematographer

Joel Arndt
    Yes, delayed until June 27th, but the price has been reduced again to $63.29, or $10.55 per film. Great deal! Pre-ordered with the HTF link here.

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Joel,

That is much appreciated. Thanks for the support.

15. Mike2001

Mike2001 Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Bought it as part of the buy two get one free sale going on at Target through Saturday. As long as you have two other titles in this price range (which I did - two Criterion sets), you can get it for ~$42.

atfree likes this.