What's new

The Pink Panther Film Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
A Shot In The Dark was an adaption of who-done-it stage play which Sellers had adapted to fit Clouseau by William Peter (Exorcist) Blatty of all people. It's his best performance as Clouseau by far. When the series returned the following decade it was generally structured around mostly brilliant set-pieces and slapstick. I just think he was at his purest in Shot in the Dark. On saying that, the lines I most remember are from the 70's films!

On being arrested in drag:
"Don't let these legs fool you. I'm really a man!"

And the immortal:
"Does your dog bite?"
"No".
(Pets dog. Gets bitten)
"I thought you said your dog doesn't bite?"
"That..is not my dog."

My father had the experience of working as his Stand-In when he shot a bank commercial here in Dublin. An utter perfectionist. Also one of the first to use video playback to nail his performance. I think those commercials were included on the DVD box set some years ago. Plus he joined the movie pub quiz in our local. My dad says he really knew his film trivia!

He died the following week. Way too young. And planing another film: Romance of the Pink Panther.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow. This is great news and even better that it includes only the Peter Sellers films. Any word on if it includes the cartoons that were rumored to be released with this set on blu? Only negative is that since this is being released by Shout it will be tough to get this for a good price.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Prices and favorite titles aside, it's just altogether great that "The Pink Panther" series is finally available on BD.
A "Thank You" to SHOUT.:)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My first Pink Panther film was "Return of the Pink Panther."

Saw it with my Mom and Dad, at the local movie theater at the age of 12. My Dad and I were howling in laughter. It was the moment I first discovered Peter Sellers and became a PP fan.

Of course, I thought Strikes Again was even better! I remember walking to the movie theater (about 2 miles) to catch it on opening day.

Funny, but I never liked the original 60s film. I think I watched "A Shot In The Dark" once on television and found it only mildly amusing. I guess once you start with the 70s films as a kid, you don't go backwards.
Same for me, but I was 4ish. Amazing that the film still sticks with me to this day as a defining cinema experience. Saw it in the biggest theatre in town, the Paramount. https://goo.gl/maps/k9HpLpsBGvw

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just realized last night that this collection also includes Trail of the Pink Panther. I'd looked at the current price and went "Wait... that's $20/film for 5 films - not $16.67!" and looked at the films included again to see what I'd missed. It just didn't register that, in spite of him appearing only in flashbacks from the prior films, it still "stars" Sellers and is included for that reason. It's one of those I just don't think of as being a Sellers Pink Panther film and pretty much lump it in with Curse of and Son of as being generally a waste of time and Pink Panther films in name only. Frankly, I'd rather have Inspector Clouseau with Alan Arkin than Trail, but as neither are all that good I'm not complaining! I'll just watch the first 5 and forget Trail is there (OK... I'll watch it *once* to make sure the disc is good but not again). :)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I just realized last night that this collection also includes Trail of the Pink Panther. I'd looked at the current price and went "Wait... that's $20/film for 5 films - not $16.67!" and looked at the films included again to see what I'd missed. It just didn't register that, in spite of him appearing only in flashbacks from the prior films, it still "stars" Sellers and is included for that reason. It's one of those I just don't think of as being a Sellers Pink Panther film and pretty much lump it in with Curse of and Son of as being generally a waste of time and Pink Panther films in name only. Frankly, I'd rather have Inspector Clouseau with Alan Arkin than Trail, but as neither are all that good I'm not complaining! I'll just watch the first 5 and forget Trail is there (OK... I'll watch it *once* to make sure the disc is good but not again). :)
Just FYI....Shout is currently offering the set for $79.99 with deliver 2 weeks before street date....
https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/f...anther-film-collection-starring-peter-sellers

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just FYI....Shout is currently offering the set for $79.99 with deliver 2 weeks before street date....
https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/f...anther-film-collection-starring-peter-sellers

I am teetering on this offer.

First of all, standard shipping is $7. That's okay, but it adds a week delivery time to the offer. So, now, you are getting the title only a week early instead of two.

Not a huge deal as you still are getting a savings over Amazon.

However...

I expect the Amazon price to drop further by release date. At least I hope so. I feel more confident getting it from Amazon -- especially if I need to return it.

I'll think on this one a little more....

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

First of all, standard shipping is $7. That's okay, but it adds a week delivery time to the offer. So, now, you are getting the title only a week early instead of two.

However...

I expect the Amazon price to drop further by release date. At least I hope so. I feel more confident getting it from Amazon -- especially if I need to return it.

Yeah, I've kept my Amazon pre-order too. I ran the Shout offer through my cart, with shipping my total was $86.48, so I'm hoping the Amazon price drops into that area before release.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

However...

I had pretty much the same thoughts. But I'm done thinking. I fully expect the Amazon price to drop at least to $80 before release day. If not, I'll just cancel and wait for the inevitable drop to that price. It'll happen... it's just a matter of when, but it doesn't happen as often with Shout! titles as those from other vendors so you have to pay attention and be patient.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you are patient and can wait a month or two after release date, this will probably be $70 or less at Amazon. I'll wait for it to get at least that low before ordering. After all, I have waited this long for these films on BD -- I can wait a little more.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Bought it as part of the buy two get one free sale going on at Target through Saturday. As long as you have two other titles in this price range (which I did - two Criterion sets), you can get it for ~$42.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I suppose that an average $16+ per film is reasonable, but these are titles that date back to 1963. I will await a better price, but I really enjoy these films and will purchase the set in time, perhaps during the next Barnes and Noble 40% off Blu-ray sale. I could give a rat's ass about the cartoons (which I never found amusing), but commentaries would be nice.
Today on Amazon for $58.08 - so 42% off the list price.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I saw the price drop early this morning and came to post the same thing...

I always pre-order stuff I'm interested in from Amazon as soon as it goes up for sale. If the price doesn't drop enough to suit me or I simply change my mind before ship date it's easy to cancel.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I am glad Shout was able to secure "Return of the Pink Panther" for this release as this title had a checkered distribution history prior to MGM reacquiring the film (at least in terms of domestic release). "Return" is, to me, the best of all the Panther sequels.

It is too bad Shout could not secure all the rest of the Panther films (Kino beat them to the punch). It would have made one of the best definitive Panther box sets ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks