What's new

The Pink Panther Collection DVDs (1 Viewer)

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in whether the 5.1 remastered sound on the upcoming Pink Panther Collection films is reason to replace the previous mono versions. How much of an improvement is it? Does anyone have any advance information on this?

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Brian, for the response. The referenced thread was very informative. I am definitely putting the Pink Panther collection on my list to buy.

SvenS

Second Unit
The BIG reason to upgrade to these new DVD's is the video which on the old ones is rediculously bad!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
When are these supposed to be out in R1? I remember seing something about the r2 version, but nothing about an r1 release. These would definitely be worth owning though!

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiosity. Are the Peter Sellars documentary or TV commercials from the R2 set going to be available on the R1 set? Neither thread addresses this and I can't find a decent retail site that lists comprehensive extras.

Any help?

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Of course, we COULD NOT go without floating heads...even on Pink Panther. :frowning: :angry:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I heard somewhere that the R2 box has a lot more extras than the R1 box will have.

Is that true, and if so what are the differences?

Ted

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I asked the same question earlier in this thread, but no one seemed to know.

Well, here's what I found:

The R1 set does NOT appear to have the Unknown Peter Sellers Documentary, The Revenge of the Pink Panther documentary called That's Panthertainment or the Peter Sellars commercials. Not even sure about the TV spots. I seem to recall that all of this stuff would be around 90 minutes to 2 hours of extra material alone.

The RI set DOES, according to the MGM website
http://www.pinkpanther.com/dvd.html
have The Pink Panther Story, which is only 30 minutes, Behind The Feline: The Cartoon Phenomenon, which is only 10 minutes, and 6 cartoons, which probably total around half and hour. So, all in all, you don't get much. And these features are all in the R2 box.

Here's a link to the R2 edition at the cheapest price anyone in the other thread could find for me. It has French packaging, which is oddly appropriate:
http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=125985
This works out to about $85 Canadian which would be about $62 US. But you get so much more.

I'm assuming there must be rights issues with some of the material, which could be why we don't get it on the R1 set.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have the R2 box set and the 5.1 sound is amazing. This is especially true for "The Pink Panther" and "A Shot in the Dark".
It is definitly worth getting hte set for the sound alone. (Ah the Mancini score!). The transfers are very much inmproved as well.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'm still not sure, but I'm starting to cool to the idea of getting this R1 box. I think I may just hold on and wait for the specific titles that I want to be available individually before upgrading.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Any relation to That's Lobstertainment? :)

(Zoidberg-style Three Stooges imitation goes here)

Lone Wolf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny B
I'm a bit concerned at the overlapping disc packaging they show on the link to MGM in Brian's thread. 6 discs spread over 3 panels with 1 disc placed at top and the second below but half overlapping. This could lead to unwanted scratches.

Has anybody purchased overlapping packaging in the past? (I assume the R2 set is packaged the same). What's your take on it?

Johnny B.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So which version is better? R2? Is there anything on R1 that is absent in the R2 version? Is the R2 PAL? I'm dense on DVD regions.

Darn region variations!

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Chris,

I have the UK R2 boxset.
It is PAL and encoded R2, therefore you will need a multiregion DVD player and ability to view PAL, I think in North America the multiregion DVD player usually converts the PAL to NTSC as unlike Europe where our TVs are dual PAL & NTSC yours are only NTSC.

This boxset was sold in the UK as a limited edition (although my box is not numbered). It is now getting hard to fine. Most e-tailers say sold out and it is very rare to see in store.
Only places that still seem to have it in stock are
Amazon.co.uk where it is now around GBP53 so approx USD100
They will ship to the US (they remove the sales tax VAT for non European sales)
In store the only place I have seen it is HMV who seem to have got more stock in their Central London stores in the last week or so, but its at the full RRP of GBP60.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
by the way, regarding the two covers I posted, the second one is simply a cover sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks