The Piano Teacher DVD Review ( with screen captures)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

I have posted my full review of this film and R1 DVD with screen captures CLICK HERE to access
    Its hard to know what to think of the 2001 film La Pianiste on first viewing. I was taken back by much of the perverse, harsh and desperate behavior on screen, but also had a very strong sense that it was restrained... un-sensationalized... certainly in as tactful manner as could be done within the confines of the subject, an abjectly cold and disturbed piano teacher.
    Isabelle Huppert plays Erika Kohut, a high level piano teacher in Vienna. She lives with her powerfully protective mother (Anne Girardot). We learn that her father is deceased. Aside from sleeping in a bed side-by-side with her mother at night, Erika has other extremely dysfunctional predilections. She has bizarre self indulgent sexual practices and we voyeuristically view her performing them.
    Shot with many close-ups, director Haneke explores a deep rooted psychological drama, backed with graceful Schubert music. The central character of Erika was expertly played by Huppert who was awarded best actress at Cannes.
    The REMSTAR DVD picture quality is very good. The picture quality is exceptionally clear as is the wonderful sound but the disc is quite bare of extras. Four trailers are included, but no commentary, interviews or documentary as on the R2 version. It has nice interactive menu's but since the film itself screams for discussion it is a shame that that not more effort was put into this release.

2. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Thanks for the review Gary.

I'm looking forward to picking this one up.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Gary, where is this available? I've heard no mention of a region 1 release and I can't seem to find it at any of the e-tailers I frequent.

I was waiting to see if the region 1 release contained the same extras as the region 2. I guess I'll be picking up the region 2 DVD.

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Same here, Gary. I missed the announcement and so did just about every e-retailer I can find. None of them have this movie as even being announced yet! Image doesn't know about it either. I guess Remstar really knows how to keep a secret!

-greg

5. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

This is a Canadian release and can be purchased from vendors like Videoflicks.com.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Thanks Donald

I'll wait and see if there is a US release and if there is, hope that it contains the same features as the region 2.

7. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Kino has the US rights to this and I would expect a R1 edition not long after the forthcoming DVD of Haneke's Code Unknown.

8. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

I got mine from CNL.com ( another Canadian etailer)

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Like Funny Games a very good, thought provoking film that I'm not sure I ever want to see again. (or at least not for a long time)

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Gary,

Is the transfer anamorphic?

Ted

11. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

As stated in Gary's review, the transfer is anamorphic.