What's new

The Piano aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

Jacob_G

Grip
I was just re-watching The Piano (R1 DVD) and I noticed that the lbx'd image has a slightly greater aspect ratio than stated on the box.

I know that Campion intended it as 1.85:1 (from imdb.com and other sources), so, I checked it out on my computer. I found the picture to be approx 720x346 which is roughly 2.08:1. Perhaps too much was matted at the top and bottom?

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have access to the R2 DVD? If so, can you grab a snapshot at a specific time. I'm dying to make a comparison.

Thanks,

Jacob

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
An interesting find.
www.widescreenreview.com indicates a measured AR of 1.85:1. Mike is usually pretty accurate with his measurements.
I've never seen the disc first hand.

Jacob_G

Grip
Oh lala. I think I jumped the gun. Got confused by all those long picturesque long shots in the film, I guess.

Anyway, the strange thing is, when I grab a screenshot using powerdvd 4, there are two options:

1. By Original Video Source Size

2. By Current Video Window Size

Having "Keep the aspect ratio" checked, I expect both 1 and 2 to give the same aspect ratio. But, when I paste the results into photoshop, using option one gave me the erroneous aspect ratio of 2.06:1 where as option two gave me the correct ratio of approx 1.85:1.

What am I doing wrong? Remember this is a non-anamorphic disc, so I thought that ratio in original video source == ratio in current video window.

Can u spot the error? Thankfully The Piano is in its OAR. But I'd still like an R2 shot to make sure!

Thanks,

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks