What's new

The Pianist...Canadian vs American releases (1 Viewer)

Sam_K

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,

Does the Canadian version have English subtitles? The US version doesn't. Thanks in advance.

Sam

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Does the Canadian version have English subtitles? The US version doesn't. Thanks in advance.
Just received my copy this afternoon from the studio. No English subtitles. Nice slipcase with 3 slim clear dvd cases.

Might watch it tonight. I'm kind of movie'd out. I've seen 5 movies this week so far.

Mark

I just began watching the Canadian version about a half hour ago and had to STOP to write this. The picture quality, while crisp and clear, is NOT RIGHT. I don't know what the effect is called, but I have seen it before on the Stalker and The Criminal DVDs. The only way to describe it is, the film has some kind of a processed look that makes the film almost appear to be video. It's sort of a "sped up look, and to crisp". I guess that sort of describes it, but I knew instantly that I was looking at a "Videoized" (can I coin that phrase) version of the film.

Also, I haven't listened to the third disc yet, but on the back of the case, it states that disc 3 is a "sample disc" of Sony Classical Music. Whatever that means.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Here's the list of features for the Canadian three disc set.

A Story of Survival Featurette
Director's Note
Q&A with Roman Polanski
The Warshaw Ghetto : Historical Background
Wladyslaw Szpilman Biography
Production Notes
Sample Tracks from the Sony Classical CD
Soundtrack Television Spot
Television Spots
Theatrical Trailers
Photo and Poster Galleries

Most of this stuff is text based but it's still very interesting. I haven't watched the featurette yet so I can't comment on that.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
In answer to the person who asked if there were any reviews, I believe Universal has the rights in the US, and they are currently snubbing the online review community, so it's most likely you won't see any reviews till post-street unless people are able to obtain them through other means

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Several have mentioned that they own the Canadian version. Can screenshots of that be posted here so that we can see how it looks? The transfer looking like video was brought up. I remember when seeing it in the theater that it had a very grainy look to it. I'm assuming you saw it theatrically. I think a lot of us are very confused here. If the Canadian version has better video quality to boot, it would be almost silly to buy a stripped down U.S. version. But if the Canadian version's picture quality is significantly worse I would much rather just get the U.S. version and buy the OST myself.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I need to know which version to get. HKG importer has both versions. If video and audio is the same, I will get Canadien. Anyone?

Sam_K

Stunt Coordinator
I need to know which version to get. HKG importer has both versions. If video and audio is the same, I will get Canadien. Anyone?
I saw a review in a local newspaper. It compares the US version with the region 3 Hong Kong version. Although both have DTS, but the review said the US version has better video quality than the Hong Kong version. It didn't mention the Canadian version.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Thank you Sam, but I'm not interested in HK version. I only buy R3 for local titles only. I purchased Canadian version today. Much better cover art than the US version. Mine is unopened since I want a confirmation that the video is the same as the US version.

Miles

Second Unit
Since this is coming out today... I'm hoping to get opinions on the video/audio quality of the Canadian 3-disc version before I purchase it. The more opinions the better :)

Miles

Runar_R

Second Unit
I got this in the mail today, and had a chance to check it out.
Before I comment on the image quality I should say that I haven't had the chance to see this theatrically, and I was watching it on a joe 6-pack 4:3 tv. That being said, I predict some might be dissapointed with the image on this disc. It's not terrible by any means, but it looks to me as they have increased the contrast. I grabbed a few screens in windvd......

I don't know how much use they are, but they at least give you some indication on what to expect.

Audio-wise, the disc is excellent.
All extras except the (excellent) featurette and trailers/spots are text-based.

I might add that each of the 3 discs are in their own slimcase.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Here's another review that questions the video of the Canadian 3-disc release:

http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/pianist.htm

"the 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen image appears to have been derived from a PAL source lending the picture a BBC feel that it does not have when excerpted for the documentary segment on the companion disc. Colour and contrast are the strongest aspects of the presentation, but I do wonder if (and doubt that) the U.S. release from Universal contains a similarly damp-looking transfer." - Bill Chambers, filmfreakcentral.net

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't claim to have the greatest eye for these things, but those screengrabs appear to represent fairly accurately the film as I saw it theatrically.

Re: that filmfreakcentral review - What the hell is a "damp-looking transfer"????

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the US & Canadian releases. Gary, any chance of your site doing one of your excellent analyses of these discs??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks