The phoenix rises again!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenK, Jun 28, 2002.

1. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Welcome back Dreamcast! After being relegated to the closet and nearly put on eBay, my DC has kicked my XBox out of the gaming loop!

Why? Front projector combined with the DC's true VGA output! 4 - player Virtual Tennis on 100" screen with amazing clarity and resolution is a thing to behold. I'm in the process of building a VGA converter/transcoder for the XBox for 4-player Halo, but in the meantime, can anybody suggest some great multiplayer Dreamcast games? I just ordered Bomberman...bet that'll be lots of fun.

btw, if ever there was a console with the hardware AND the games, it was definitely the DC. it died way before it's time as I think it even surpasses the PS2 in some ways.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Power Stone 2 is fantastic 4-player fun!
    Toy Commander is good 4 player
    Umm, don't own that many 4P games [​IMG]

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Chu Chu Rocket is GREAT fun multiplayer - fast furious puzzle game that's very easy to learn.
    Frogger 2 has some fun multiplayer games based on the original Frogger arcade game.
    Rush2049 has a good multiplayer mode to it (though you may have to unlock them all).
    If you've interest in racing games, then Looney Tunes Space Race, Wacky Races, 4 Wheel Thunder all have good 2 to 4 player modes.
    If you've interest in beat'em ups, then Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom 2 & DOA2 are all good to have - DOA3 has a 4 player 'tag team' mode that's fun.
    Worms World Party is the best Worms game in years - think 2D turn based action that is MUCH better than it sounds [​IMG] This is VERY popular in Europe. Worms is a big brand there.
    One of the Capcom 2D shooters offers a multiplayer mode - is it Gunbird 2? I can't remember. 2D top down 'old school' action.
    And I second the reccomendation for either Powerstone or Powerstone 2 - the first is definitely easier & cheaper to find. Either are good fun multiplayer.

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Chu Chu - I used to come home everyday from work and play this game for hours on end.
    Powerstone 1/2 - they kinda messed up Powerstone 2 a bit if you ask me, stick with the original and if you like that then get part 2.
    Worms - Get them all, Worms is such a blast at a party.
    Gunbird 2 - LOL! You really need to play this game and watch all the endings that you get with different team combos.
    PS BrianB - DoA2 not DoA3 [​IMG]

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Freudian slip, Kelley!

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

If you really want to see some crazy b00b action you have to pull out the saturn or PSOne and play the original DoA, it gets crazy!

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    [​IMG] man, i'd love to see Dreamcast in VGA through a FP!

9. Michael St. Clair

Unfortunately, there is no road/oval racing game on the XBox that can touch F355 Challenge.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Michael St. Clair: True dat! F355 is the king of all racers. Just too bad the WIDESCREEN mode doesn't work with VGA
    I hear Ferarri 360Modena challenge is coming out for PS2, but wont have the realism of F355 [​IMG]

11. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

12. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

hmmm...what does that phoenix phrase mean anyways?
    i've always thought it was a new phoenix rising from the ashes/corpse of the old one, but the new and old being one and the same type of thing...
    anyhow. yes, thank you all for the suggestion. we tried some bomberman 4P action on the set up and it was too much fun. I played a little Ferrari F355 and Gran Turismo 2 via Bleemcast...feels like I'm racing a real damn car!
    Anyhow, off to try to find Gunbird 2 and Powerstone 2 on eBay for next wednesday's 4P gaming party (hey...if you live in the Sacramento area, you're welcome [​IMG] ). Thanks again for the suggestions...keep em coming.
    DC forever!!!! [​IMG]

13. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I'm surprised that BrianB didn't mention the great fun 4-player ReVolt is; its his recommendation that made me buy my copy. The thing I really like about it in 4-player is that as well as having a straight racing mode there is a 'tag' mode where you have to compete to be the first player who is 'it' for 2 minutes. This has been the cause of no end of hilarity on my Dreamcast.

Other than that I think everything has been mentioned really, except Fur Fighters, which is quite good fun. Its basically Quake3Arena or Unreal Tounament (both of which you could also try), except with small furry animals. The sight of someone being shot by a rocket launcher holding kangaroo just makes winning that bit better.

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

StevenK, it's much cheaper to pick up Powerstone 1 than 2 - honestly, just go for the first one.
    I'd completely forgotten about Revolt! Top little game. Soon to be played a whole bunch of XBox owners [​IMG]