What's new

The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series - 11/4/14 (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
To be honest, I've never watched The Phil Silvers Show. It was never syndicated here. I do know enough about Phil's body of work on other shows and positive reviews from other friends that I'm willing to blind buy; I highly doubt I'll be disappointed.
It's a great show.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
The issue now is that physical media is becoming a format with a fade that can no longer be denied. As such, passing up a good deal, if interest is only marginal AT THIS TIME, may come back to haunt you. Who's to say your current aversion toward a show or movie will always be the case. I've watched several TV series in my life I swore I would never want to see again only to embrace them years later. That to me is the essence of maintaining a well rounded collection while you can, to minimize regret once that item of renewed interest is no longer available. And trust me, while the technology may improve, the access may not. Right now, streaming and downloading is proving to be a poor substitute for physical media and I really don't see that becoming a serious competitor to DVDs and Blus anytime soon. But at some point, it may be all we have. So whatever your situation, I wouldn't recommend spending beyond your means, but don't pass up opportunities thinking they will come again.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've saw Phil in various guesting roles over the years, and especially love his role as Honest John during the last two seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies. I was told he was essentially resuming his conman role for the Honest John act, the act he performed as Sgt. Bilko.

I'm a sucker for good comedies of the 50's and 60's. I've found very little that doesn't suit my fancy from that era, so I'm more than willing to blind buy this one, especially with Amazon Canada's pricing! If by some off chance I don't like it, I have a friend who loves classic TV in Georgia and I'll just give it to her and her daughter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ron1973 said:
To be honest, I've never watched The Phil Silvers Show. It was never syndicated here. I do know enough about Phil's body of work on other shows and positive reviews from other friends that I'm willing to blind buy; I highly doubt I'll be disappointed.
It must have been re-run some following the original airings as I know I saw the show. I grew up not far from Memphis and *do* recall seeing episodes when I was a kid but was 4 when the series ended so I'm thinking some, if not all, of what I saw was re-runs. I absolutely recall when Top Cat first aired (1961) thinking it was a "rip off" of Bilko and that I'd rather watch Sgt. Bilko than a animated imitation. That pretty much means I *had* to have seen reruns during 1960-61 and/or have seen, and remembered, some of those original airings.

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched the S1 set to find I still really like the program. It had been decades since I'd seen a episode so it was a huge hit of nostalgia. I'm almost as excited over this one as I am that Batman is finally seeing a release! If we'd get some good news from Sam Nelson about The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriett to add to those 2 releases I'd be a *very* happy camper! :D

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
it aired when i was 9 month old, and stopped before i was 5 years old.

i watched a clip on youtube.

i have a vivid recall of silvers (the guy with the glasses ?)

i do not think this show was on in my area in syndication.

can anyone verify ? (los angeles area)

so i think i recall this from the original airings ?

it is one of those things that was so far back in my memory, that it wasnt gonna come out without a push from someone else !!

it seems sort of slap-stickish, so i doubt it would be something that i would like all that much today.

but as i stated a few posts ago, i would still get it, to have in my collection.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
BobO'Link said:
It must have been re-run some following the original airings as I know I saw the show. I grew up not far from Memphis and *do* recall seeing episodes when I was a kid but was 4 when the series ended so I'm thinking some, if not all, of what I saw was re-runs. I absolutely recall when Top Cat first aired (1961) thinking it was a "rip off" of Bilko and that I'd rather watch Sgt. Bilko than a animated imitation. That pretty much means I *had* to have seen reruns during 1960-61 and/or have seen, and remembered, some of those original airings.

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched the S1 set to find I still really like the program. It had been decades since I'd seen a episode so it was a huge hit of nostalgia. I'm almost as excited over this one as I am that Batman is finally seeing a release! If we'd get some good news from Sam Nelson about The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriett to add to those 2 releases I'd be a *very* happy camper! :D
You're a little older than I (I'll be 41 this December) and I do remember WREG in particular running a lot of classic sitcoms. I just don't recall this one ever being ran, but it's certainly possible it did and I wasn't born yet. :lol:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I grew up in the LA area and remember seeing this rerun when I was really little like early 1970's but not after that in the late 1970's when I really got into TV shows. So I never really watched it but remember seeing it while flipping through channels looking for something to watch. It was probably on either channel 11 KTTV or Channel 5 KTLA but I don't think they showed it for more than a couple years.
jimmyjet said:
it aired when i was 9 month old, and stopped before i was 5 years old.

i watched a clip on youtube.

i have a vivid recall of silvers (the guy with the glasses ?)

i do not think this show was on in my area in syndication.

can anyone verify ? (los angeles area)

so i think i recall this from the original airings ?

it is one of those things that was so far back in my memory, that it wasnt gonna come out without a push from someone else !!

it seems sort of slap-stickish, so i doubt it would be something that i would like all that much today.

but as i stated a few posts ago, i would still get it, to have in my collection.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks randy,

i know i dont recall it from the 70s

my recall definitely associates watching that show AT NIGHT

at this point, i think it is highly likely that my memories come from the original airings

i do have memories of some stuff before kindergarten, but it tends to be more random events.

kindergarten and after tend to take on more of an ongoing life. i hear that is common in people.

probably partly due to starting school, and being subject to a "schedule".

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hope I'm not jinxing it, but I checked my order just now. The product I ordered now goes to the correct product page with the right price, the right format listed, etc.

If they were going to cancel these, wouldn't they of done it when they caught their mistake and deleted this page?

Also, the mistake doesn't seem limited to just Amazon Canada...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sgt-bilko-the-phil-silvers-show-the-complete-seri-blu-ray-disc/25675105.p?id=3285149&skuId=25675105

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=9333793

People in the UK should be getting their sets soon. Anyone seen a review, yet?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
LeoA said:
I hope I'm not jinxing it, but I checked my order just now. The product I ordered now goes to the correct product page with the right price, the right format listed, etc.

If they were going to cancel these, wouldn't they of done it when they caught their mistake and deleted this page?

Also, the mistake doesn't seem limited to just Amazon Canada...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sgt-bilko-the-phil-silvers-show-the-complete-seri-blu-ray-disc/25675105.p?id=3285149&skuId=25675105

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=9333793

People in the UK should be getting their sets soon. Anyone seen a review, yet?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/philsilvers/

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Ron, but I don't see a review at the link either. Also that link is for the UK release which is not the same as the Shout release. For example, the UK release has English subtitles and it doesn't appear the Shout release does (at least by the listings I've seen).

Also, Leo's links suggest I would be better off canceling Amazon Canada and ordering stateside as those prices are even lower.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That Facebook link you posted has an interesting post on it that caught my eye.

"CBS claim they no longer hold the 35mm original films and that they could only supply the existing footage from their archives which MediumRare had to clean up massively hence the delays in release dates...as to the BBC - on the initial Bilko screenings in the 1980's they did indeed work from the original film prints...however, later screenings came via videotape transfers supplied from Viacom."

What happened to the original film elements?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Leo - I'm not sure I believe that reviewer. The CBS syndication website indicates that they've made HD masters of 22 misc episodes (probably the best of set) which indicates that they had film elements to work from.

Interestingly though, it looks like they didn't transfer the entire S1 to HD when that was released. I don't personally own that set so I can't comment on how the transfers look.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I just checked my Amazon.ca order, and the price is still at the lower price on my order. When I click on the item in the order, it is indeed linked to the correct product and a new higher price.
I would like to think the preorders at the lower price will be will be honored. So far, so good.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Deep Discount has this for $20. The question is whether I should cancel my Amazon.ca order and place one on an American site where I could save on shipping. What do you all think?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For me, the BB price is $19.33 which includes tax and shipping. As that's only ~$4 less than what I'm currently scheduled to pay to Amazon.ca ($23.12 US) I'm leaning towards leaving the Amazon order in place but still place one at BB. I have a bit more faith the Amazon order will actually ship at that price where I'm not so sure about BB. Should both ship at those prices I could return the BB one locally unless I chose to gift it.

Does anyone have any experience with price mistakes at BB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks