What's new

The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series - 11/4/14 (1 Viewer)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hollywoodaholic said:
It's shaping up to be a costly Fall between Batman BD, Sopranos BD and now this, which is definitely a comedy that will still hold up.
TELL ME ABOUT IT, HOLLYWOOD!!!!!! :D :lol: :rolleyes: :cool: A HUGE SHOUTOUT to SHOUT on this wonderful news!!!! And I love the price!!!! IMHO, it is well worth it as is!!!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Steve...O said:
I was referring to several years back when they were pumping out multiple series at once (Mannix, Hawaii Five - O, Perry Mason, Untouchables, Fugitive, Gunsmoke, etc.) While a lot of them did get completed, there were some hiccups: Bilko, One Step Beyond, Barnaby Jones were a few that didn't work out. I can't prove this, but I always thought that so many series being released concurrently had to hurt some of them. It was great to have so many choices but it also probably led to the premature demise of several releases.
Fair enough. I thought you were talking about currently.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
This is great news. I hope we get good prints and no edits. These are usually two of my first concerns when I hear of a Shout release.
WKRP, Bilko and Batman within a few weeks of each other - and then comes Black Friday. Yikes!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
This is great news. I hope we get good prints and no edits. These are usually two of my first concerns when I hear of a Shout release.
WKRP, Bilko and Batman within a few weeks of each other - and then comes Black Friday. Yikes!

My guess is that the prints will be what CBS /Paramount has on hand . They should be complete, and in good shape .Most CBS releases like Twilight Zone , Gunsmoke , I Love Lucy , look pretty good . I usually don't like to criticize Shout Factory, they've given us so many really good releases.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Bonus features:

Lost Audition ShowOriginal Network OpeningOriginal Cast CommercialsPhoto GalleryAudio commentaries with Allan Melvin, George Kennedy, Mickey Freeman, Larry Storch and Dick Van Dyke“Lucy and the Efficiency Expert” (from The Lucy Show season 5)Allan Melvin (Cpl. Henshaw) Episode IntroductionsPromo for The New Phil Silvers Show“Harry, the Good Neighbor” from The New Phil Silvers ShowInterviews with Phil SilversPhil Silvers and Jack Benny on The Dick Cavett ShowFootage from the 1959 TV Special Keep In StepThe Cast of Phil Silvers On BroadwayNew Interviews with Cathy, Tracey and Nancey Silvers

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
rdf8585 said:
Bonus features:

Lost Audition ShowOriginal Network OpeningOriginal Cast CommercialsPhoto GalleryAudio commentaries with Allan Melvin, George Kennedy, Mickey Freeman, Larry Storch and Dick Van Dyke“Lucy and the Efficiency Expert” (from The Lucy Show season 5)Allan Melvin (Cpl. Henshaw) Episode IntroductionsPromo for The New Phil Silvers Show“Harry, the Good Neighbor” from The New Phil Silvers ShowInterviews with Phil SilversPhil Silvers and Jack Benny on The Dick Cavett ShowFootage from the 1959 TV Special Keep In StepThe Cast of Phil Silvers On BroadwayNew Interviews with Cathy, Tracey and Nancey Silvers
The bonus material looks really good .It will be nice to get an episode of the New Phil Silvers Show. I haven't seen it since it originally aired. I wonder if there's any chance of a DVD release for that show?

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
These are the extras listed for the UK issue -SubtitlesKeep in Step (the lost footage)Phil Silvers last interview with Sonny Fox (Extended Version)Phil Silvers on the Paul Ryan ShowBilko On Parade (BBC Documentary)Bilko in Colour!32 Page Collector's BookletAudio CommentariesLost Audition ShowOriginal Network OpeningOriginal Network CommercialsLucy and the Efficiency ExpertPhil Silvers on the Dick Cavett ShowPlus much more..............

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not mentioned but also very important: The four unsyndicated episodes of the show are included as well. CBS had to go back and pull out the film prints as they were never transfered to tape.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Silverking said:
These are the extras listed for the UK issue -SubtitlesKeep in Step (the lost footage)Phil Silvers last interview with Sonny Fox (Extended Version)Phil Silvers on the Paul Ryan ShowBilko On Parade (BBC Documentary)Bilko in Colour!32 Page Collector's BookletAudio CommentariesLost Audition ShowOriginal Network OpeningOriginal Network CommercialsLucy and the Efficiency ExpertPhil Silvers on the Dick Cavett ShowPlus much more..............
Wow ! This bonus material looks even better than the SF stuff ! As a Bilko -nut, I may evetually invest in in this one as well- especially if the price keeps coming down.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Already got this on order. Am extra chuffed (good ol' english term) with the extras and see this as one of my best additions in 2014...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Does the Shout set have English subtitles also (the UK version does)? Shout is generally terrible about including them but I'm hopeful that since CBS provided the prints that those were available also.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mike Frezon said:
Why did four episodes never hit syndication?
I looked at the CBS syndication bible set and it looks like at least 3 of these episodes were possibly music heavy with guest stars:

Bilko presents the McGuire Sisters
Bilko and the Crosbys
Bilko Stars Kay Kendall
Bilko's "Merry Widow"

Hopefully a Bilko-phile can fill in the details.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not sure that there's even any music in the Bing Crosby episode. He's only in it for the last minute or so and he reads a poem as I recall instead of singing, much to the surprise of the camp audience.

The other three don't ring a bell, but this episode shouldn't pose a problem.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Bing Crosby show wasn't withdrawn. It's the one featuring his four older sons, which did have some musical numbers.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sorry, I was thinking of 'Bilko Presents Bing Crosby' from season 2. I didn't realize that he guest starred twice.

Never seen 'Bilko and the Crosby's'. Looking forward to rectifying that soon.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Bing didn't appear in the episode featuring Gary, Philip, Dennis, and Lindsay. He only guested in the earlier one you mentioned.I think there was a problem with Kay Kendall's contract regarding rebroadcasts, and that's why it was removed from the package.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Thanks shoeshineboy! Even with the rather stiff $9.98 cdn international shipping it still comes out to $23.12 US ($25.17 cdn) at the current exchange rate. The description indicates it's a DVD release in spite of [Blu-Ray] being at the end of the item title. It's the 20 disc set and the box shows DVD - I don't think this is getting a BR release (but I've not checked). I'm keeping my fingers crossed (an my US order open) - after all, Amazon US made good on that ~$25 price on Naked City when it was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks