The Phantom of the Opera trailer is up

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ron-P, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Quicktime's got the trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thephantomoftheopera/

I'm impressed. After seeing ALW's production in LA many years ago, this will be a must see in the theater. The visuals look outstanding.

Anyone know if this is slated for release this year?

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Scheduled for a Christmas release. It will be big.

Nice teaser trailer but I wish Joel Schumacher wasn't the director & co-screenwriter.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Why?

I for one have enjoyed many of this films; Tigerland, Flatliners, The Lost Boys, St. Elmo's Fire. Heck even his Batmans were decent as was Phone Booth.

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I don't know about that trailer. It came off as an MTV produced clip (dizzying quick cuts and all) played over some of the more recognizable tunes from the show. For the film's older audiences they might want to give them a perception of a more subdued musical where the voices and music stand out just like the staged production rather than a frantic and fast paced musical.

~Edwin

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Fast paced or slow, it's too hard to judge from that trailer. I'm sure will get more than just that teaser in a few months if Christmas is the release.

I do have a lot of Moulin Rouge blood in me and would not mind a spin on The Phantom likened unto that.

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I liked Moulin Rouge, as well. But if this is going to be edited like MR, I think it will disappoint a lot of people much like those older people who I saw walk out of MR in my screening.

~Edwin

7. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I think it is too early to judge how the final product will be edited based on the teaser. I think they wanted to show as many familiar scenes as they could using some of the popular music to generate some interest. Quick cuts would help in that regard. If we get to see some longer clips and they are still using a Moulin Rouge style, then I'll get more concerned.

And for some reason, I don't think this will be a major hit box-office wise.

8. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

There's already quite a bit of anger from die hard Phantom fans over Webber's refusal to cast Michael Crawford in the movie. I see boycotts.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

To me Joel Schumacher doesn't bode well for the film.

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I've seen those, and some of his other films, I didn't like any of them (especially the teen/college films and the Batman pictures). But I don't think he's tried a musical, so maybe this will be the one I like. It's going to be hard to top Lon Chaney, although this isn't the same type of movie, so it's probably not a fair comparison.

11. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Where's that pot-smoking-smiley when you need it? [​IMG]

I saw the trailer earlier today and was too disappointed when I saw Joel S. attached to the project. The trailer looks decent, but it's mostly because of the soundtrack associated with it - that's about it! Some quick MTV style editing & Moulin Rouge cinamatography might appeal to the younger crowd, but unfortunately I don't think that's the intended audience for this picture (c'mon... how many teenage guys are going to be rushing to the theater this Christmas to see Phantom? Really? Seriously folks...).

For a picture like this to succeed, it would need to be targeted towards those familiar with the stage production, silent motion picture, and original story. Frantic pacing and a zero-attention span camera (combined with Schumacher's ego-masterbation in the directors chair) leaves me wondering what's actually going to end up on screen... the real thing, or the Phantom of the Batcave.

Moe.

12. JasonB

JasonB Agent

Does anyone know if this is going to be a movie production of the musical as a musical or will it be presented as a drama ala 1998's Les Miserables (Liam Neeson) The trailer uses the music from the broadway production so I'm curious as to what kind of film this will be.

I remember once upon a time Antonio Banderas being attached with this film, glad to see that he isn't in it!

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Jason, it will be a filmed version of the ALW musical, in the tradition of Oklahoma, The King & I, Chicago, etc.. The 1998 Les Miserables was based on the book, not the musical.
    These fans need to face facts. Crawford originated the role almost 20 years ago. He's 62 now. He's frankly too old to be lusting after 17-year-old Emmy Rossum.

Crawford is the definitive stage Phantom. No one disputes this. If the film had been made in the late 80s at the height of "Phantom" fever I'm sure he would have been cast. It's just his bad luck that it took 15 years for Moulin Rouge & Chicago to make the world "safe" for movie musicals again.

As far as the Schumacher comments... The man's made some good films. He's made some crappy films. I think with good material he does fine. I say give him a chance. I'll be there opening week. I hope PotO is a huge success, both artistically & financially. That would mean there's a chance someone may film my favorite of the 80s megamusicals - Les Miz.

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Now, a Les Mis film would be great. But is the world ready for a 3 hour musical film? Les Mis is packed as it is, and there's simply no slack to cut anything out.

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

The world may not be ready, but I am!! [​IMG]

But you're right - an uncut Les Mis is a daunting proposition. It would be very expensive. I really doubt we'll ever see it, unless Phantom turns out to be a mega-blockbuster ($300 million + US, and double that worldwide). And I really don't think that's going to happen. [​IMG]

16. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I don't want to be misunderstood. I too would love a Les Mis film, and hope it happens. But, sadly, at the moment, I don't think it's a prospect.

17. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Columbia Pictures original planned to bring the musical "Les Miz" to the screen but over time they abandoned the idea and later film a non-musical version.

18. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I just wish singing talent had been taken into account when casting was done, particularly for the Phantom. When the guy playing him says in an interview that his mother asked him, "But can you even sing?" after she found out he was cast I have misgivings. Of course, we've yet to hear any vocals from it so I'll reserve judgment.

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Singing talent hasn't mattered much in movie musicals historically. Either they deal with the actor's limitations, or they dub over the actor with someone who can actually sing.

Jason

20. JasonB

JasonB Agent

Thanks Craig for that information. Glad to hear it will be a musical! I'd also really love to see Les Mis as well. Until then, I'll just have to keep watching my Les Miserables in Concert (Dream Cast) DVD.