What's new

The Petition is ready: Please sign the "Consumer Expectations of HD-DVD" (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
Keep the signatures coming, spread the word to other various threads and websites. Please also write the Digital Bits, I will try to get them an email also.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member

I signed it, but added my $.02 that MLP 7.1 discrete surround at 24 bit/192 kHz resolution on all channels must be included in the specs. There can be room, if they add an extra double layered Blue Ray disc. I'd rather have the trouble of two discs per average length movie than compromised quality.

Dan

ChrisA

Second Unit
Dan,

5-6 channels of 24/96 utilizes 10mbps! Which is why I conceeded that 20/48 MLP would be accceptable, over 24/96 DTS. Which is also why we mentioned perhaps having 24/96 across the front speakers, and 20/48 for the surrounds/sides (which is one of the wonderful flexiable aspects of MLP, being able to utilise different bit/sample rates for different channels). That being said, I think 24/96 7.1 MLP is reasonable/desireable/doable for movies.

24/192 is UNDESIREABLE because anything more going to audio than 24/96 could be BETTER served going to VIDEO. You will never pass a DBT hearing the difference between 24/96 and 24/192, especially in a movie mix. While the extra bandwidth would actually make a difference with video. the D-5 master is compressed 4X and still requires 365 mbps!!!

It would be difficult to justify 24/192 even if you had a TERABYTE of storage and 500 mbps bandwidth, simply because the video is really that demanding, and will continue to benefit from every bit of available bandwidth.

From Stacey Spears: DTS 96/24 is high bit rate DTS only. It is actually using more compression to fit the extra data into the same space
That makes sense. I saw that they did not increase the bandwidth in proportion to the extra word length and sample frequency. Then when you take into consideration of what lossy, perceptual coding does, the first thing you want to remove is useage of bits 20-24! as well as sampling frequencies which extend well beyond the human range of hearing... which is why lossy coding and 24/96 is an oxymoron. 20/48 MLP is hands down superior to 24/96 DTS, in my opinion.

I think Dolby Digital is great for what it does working in very limited bandwidth. However, for wide bandwidth HD-DVD and Digital VHS, it is rather absurd to continue using Dolby Digital as the primary audio algorithm. HD-DVD must represent a significant increase in audio and video fidelity and resolution, and only a wider bandwidth HD-DVD solution can provide that.

Dan Ramer

Agent
Number 341... And I suggested that with regard to HD-DVD players, the inclusion of component analog video outputs without any form of image constraint is essential.

Dan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It would be difficult to justify 24/192 even if you had a TERABYTE of storage and 500 mbps bandwidth, simply because the video is really that demanding, and will continue to benefit from every bit of available bandwidth.
Just remember that bandwidth limiations are format-specific. FMD can read from *all* layers simultaneously and has essentially no limitations on bandwidth. If the "3-D" holographic technology is anything like what it sounds...it may also help negate this constant bottle-neck of "bandwidth" we've taken for granted for so long with other formats.

ChrisA

Second Unit
Keep the petition signatures coming. Help in making posts on other forums and websites is appreciated.

Chris

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Really? I thought FMD had to do a layer switch like today's DVD players. Can you cite a reference that describes FMD's ability to read from all layers at once?
feel free to search yourself (feeling lazy over here). FMD is made of multiple transparent layers. The laser just "shines through" them without actually "focusing" on any one layer in particular. Each layer then doesn't reflect light, but rather flouresces light as the laser reacts with the flourescent chemical that coats it's surface. Each layer is coated with a slightly different chemical so that each layer flouresces its own unique frequency of light.

As the laser shines through the disc (all layers at once) every layer flouresces it's information. How the pick-up makes sense of this is by choosing to pay attention only to the frequency/s of light that it's interested in. It can choose to only pay attention to just one frequency (layer) of light or several or all, depending on the application.

Not sure how the design is supposed to work for continual playback with program material spread continuously from one layer to the next. I suppose in that case the layers would be stacked alternating with spirals from the inside-out and then the outside in. Or several layers could be "grouped" with their spirals lining up so that they contain contiguous program material that is meant to be read all at once.

-dave

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I assume The Home Theater Forum supports this petition.

Why isn't this thread fixed at the top of the thread lists?

I'm signature #8

ChrisA

Second Unit
Keep your eye out for issue 61 from Widescreen Review ;)
I agree that this thread should be more important and fixed. It is equally as important as the DUMBING of the DVD format. We are trying to prevent the DUMBING of the HD-DVD format while it is still in the creation process. It is important that the consumers voice their expectations, demands, and helpful opinions.
Please make your feelings known so that this thread should indeed have formal support. It would be great if Ron and Parker made the petition stand out. Please write to everyone, every magazine, every international DVD site, HT Forum, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread