The Pet Peeve Driving Thread...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Apr 16, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Thought this would be a fun thread [​IMG].
    What are the things you hate to have happen to you while driving? What types of strange things do you see while driving down the road? Do you slow when an accident is on the side of the road to gawk? Do you hate to be stuck in traffic for two hours, only to find out that it's people slowing down looking at someone changing their tire? [​IMG]. Stuff like this, heh.
    Myself....I'm not sure where this one came from, but every now and then I'm afraid I'll loose concentration for a second or two and accidentally run someone over when I'm not looking. Guess it started when I got pulled over for going five miles over the speed limit, coming home from work at Blockbuster Video at 3 AM. Poor cop must have been looking for something to do, because if there where other people on the road, he probably wouldn't have botherd [​IMG].
    Then, two years later, it got a bit worse when I was looking for a parking spot, finally found one, and did a U-Turn where I wasn't supposed to. For those in Monctlair, the road that's almost off of Exit 148 on the Garden State Parkway, who's name currently escapes me. Tough to find a spot on that road, heh. That one I had to go to court for, because the parents forgot to renew my registration. After that, I just stopped trusting myself...it's gotten better, but no where near as good as when I first started driving...
    I just keep on telling myself, if I did run someone over, there where enough people on the street to get my liscence plate number, so not to worry

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

People who REFUSE to signal a turn!! [​IMG]

3. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

People who leave their turn signals on long after they have executed a turn!

No matter where I have lived, people always complain about the drivers. I don't remember where I heard this quote but I think it is very appropriate - "Anyone going slower then me is an idiot and anyone going faster then me is a maniac".

I learned how to drive while living in India...New Delhi to be specific. Talk about dangerous driving conditions. After that experience nothing really bothers me.

- Jeff

4. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

Left LAne HOGS !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Left lane campers who mumble to themselves "I'm going the speed limit, so I deserve to be in the left lane". Every once in a while I sort of wish I could get them to roll down their window and listen to reason.
    Left lane tortises suck [​IMG]

6. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    "Car & Driver" magazine dubbed those folks "Left Lane Bandits" back in the 80s. I still use that term. The rule of the road is 'Keep RIGHT, except to pass.'

Also hate brake-light-testers, inattentive cell-phone and stereo users, no turn-signallers, and about a hundred other things.

Pete "As a matter of fact, I DO own the road!" Apruzzese

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    This is one of the more interesting sites I saw last year. This guy was in the left lane and then went all the way over to the right shoulder. As I passed him, he started to spew chunks all over his steering wheel. Hate it when that happens.

9. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

I hate it when people slow to a crawl when it starts to drizzle. Or people who brake for no apparent reason on an acceleration ramp. And I despise people who park at the very end of an aisle, all the way to the far side of the parking space, like they think their car is better than anyone else's and they don't want it to associate with the 'common' people's cars.

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

One of my pet peeves has to do with pedestrians. Why do they feel the need to walk right out in front of you? They have the "right of way", but that doesn't give them the right to jump out in front of you. It's a lot easier for a pedestrian to stop and let a car pass than it is for a driver to bring a car to a quick stop. Teenagers seem to be the worst offenders - ever try driving past a high school when classes let out for the day? I think they get a kick out of seeing how many cars they can bring to a screeching halt. [​IMG]

11. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Jeffery, I believe your quote has been attributed to George Carlin in the past. Sure sounds like something he'd say... [​IMG]
    Me? I hate rubberneckers!! Even the most minor of fender-benders seems to be worthy of holding dozens of people up so that the rubber-necker can c-r-u-i-s-e by and check it out...and a major accident or (God forbid) a car fire? Fuggedaboudit. If you're within five miles of it, you're going to be held up (sometimes for over an hour) so that those yokels can get a good, long look at someone else's misery. Damn that ticks me off! [​IMG]

12. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I hate when you're exiting a parking lot and trying to make a right-hand turn onto a four lane road (two in each direction) and the person in front of you refuses to turn right -- even though the right lane is clear -- because he or she is waiting for BOTH lanes to clear out in order to make an immediate left hand turn at the next light.

13. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

When an intersection has a double left turn lane I hate it when people obviously don't know which lane to pick. If you chose the right left turn lane it never fails that some idiot in the left left turn lane decides, midturn, that they really need to be on the right, they cross over into your lane, nearly hitting you. Hello! That's why there is a little white dotted line through the intersection to guide your turn. I turn in one of these intersections daily and almost get hit by some moron at least once a week. If they needed to be on the right side of the road, they should have picked the right left turn lane!

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>I hate it when people slow to a crawl when it starts to drizzle. >>
    Well, I hate to say it, but I've been a person of this caliber [​IMG]. On a 65 MPH road, I get as far over into the slow lane as I can, and bring it down to 50 mph. Especially when it's raining so hard it's tough to see. I made the mistake of going 65MPH once, rain started coming down so fast, I found myself starting to go off an exit without realising it. Luckilly, I didn't get too far onto it, so I was still able to merge back onto the highway when it was safe to do so...Last time I did that.

15. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>Left lane campers who mumble to themselves "I'm going the speed limit, so I deserve to be in the left lane". >>
    What about people like me who do the same in the middle lane? When it's 65, and everyone else is going the same limit, except for those who just have to speed on by, I don't see a need to go faster.
    At 55, I'd speed up to 65 just like everyone else. But who needs to go 75? This ain't the autobon(If that's the right name of the speedless highway, heh).

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    In addition to the left lane campers, I hate when you're in stop and go traffic and the guy in front of you cannot regulate his/her speed. gas-brake-gas-brake-gas-break. I can get into a rhythem where I'm just hitting the gas every so often and sometimes you see people not in traffic do this. These people are typically tailgaiting and you have to leave extra distance between you and it so you don't plow into them when it plows into the car infront of them...

Jay

17. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

Left lane hogs

It seems that a higher percentage of people from Washington are much more likely to do this than average.

18. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    People who park all screwy, taking up two parking spaces by parking diagonally. These are typically people with sports cars (no offense to the small-membered members) [​IMG]
    I intentionally park my POS right next to their 4-wheeled phalous.
    Then there are the typical complaints:
    People who don't use their turn signal when changing lanes
    People who are under the impression having four wheel drive makes you immortal and invulnerable to any weather condition.
    And finally...ANYONE WHO TALKS ON A CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING!!!

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I hate it when a wasp suddenly flies into your car, and instead of hitting the brakes, you're swerving left and right, trying to open all the friggin' windows but the little fucker won't leave, the car is all over the place as you duck and try to swat it with something, you think its gone, than suddenly theres a buzzing right next to your ear, a high pitch scream follows as the car smashes into a tree.
    Also have to mention drivers who jump into your lane than crawl at a snails pace, forcing you to try and overtake, grrrr.
    Drivers who park dead centre of a big parking space, and you try unsuccessfully to squeeze in, giving up you have to park half a mile away. Not to be sexist but women are usually the culprits of this phenomenon in my experience.[​IMG]

20. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter