What's new

The Persuaders! blu ray set in September!!!! Roger Moore and Tony Curtis tv series!!! (1 Viewer)

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Worth said:
Panasonic's tend not to do PAL-NTSC conversion, if that's important to you.

Here in the UK we've had tv's , vcr's and other devices that have been both 50hz and 60hz compatible for about 25 years so it was only in the early days when people who had cheaper setups found problems with NTSC sources.

And it only ever seemed to be the cheaper models that actually converted fully to PAL50 , most makes including Panasonic output a thing called PAL60 which offers far less image problems than a full conversion but did enable those who needed it to get colour from NTSC.

Even today Panasonic Bluray players and my own Recorder offer an option to output NTSC as either NTSC or PAL but the PAL is PAL60 not 50.

Ironically since the appearance of HDMI and upscaling the NTSC problem is no more anyway although I suspect 50hz is still an issue for some US devices

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
In 2015 and with blu Ray there is no reason for region coding.

So frustrating.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Wow...

Do these methods work for network or studio canal bd discs???

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
youworkmen said:
Ironically since the appearance of HDMI and upscaling the NTSC problem is no more anyway although I suspect 50hz is still an issue for some US devices

Stupidly, very few sets sold in North America can accept a PAL signal.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I tried my network persuaders DVD from region 2 on my panny bd player. No luck. Does this have to do with pal to ntsc conversion?
Anyway I will eventually order the persuader be ser on blu Ray to try on my panny blu Ray player. If it works, great. If not I will pick up an lg blu Ray player.

Does network uk have sales very often?? I am on the mailing list.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
In 2015 and with blu Ray there is no reason for region coding.

So frustrating.

The only reason for coding is when the licensor , in this case ITV wants to protect their income by licencing shows to different companies in different countries hence Network titles locked to B and Shout titles from ITV locked to A.

Osato said:
Wow...

Do these methods work for network or studio canal bd discs???

I've not watched the video but it is possible to watch Studio Canal Blurays on Region A Panasonic Blu players. I don't know of any similar trick to get round dvd coding.

Osato said:
I tried my network persuaders DVD from region 2 on my panny bd player. No luck. Does this have to do with pal to ntsc conversion?
Anyway I will eventually order the persuader be ser on blu Ray to try on my panny blu Ray player. If it works, great. If not I will pick up an lg blu Ray player.

Does network uk have sales very often?? I am on the mailing list.

Network have several sales per year , usually only selected sections of their catalogue but about twice a year they do offer up a discount on their entire catalogue but they already had one with 40% off that ended on March 1st so you could have got the Bluray set and brochure for a good price.

When that opportunity may arise again is unknown but if you're on the mailing list then any sale would be announced to you in those emails

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Worth said:

For what it's worth, I can vouch for this seller. I've been using their region free players for years, first standard players and now Blu Ray players.

I also have a Panasonic BD-60 which was easily converted to be multi-region, but for Blu Rays only, not standard discs. And it won't work if you regularly installed updates for it from Panasonic. One of the updates disabled the feature, but a new unit out of the box would work fine if you can find one.

I've never regretted going multi-region, it opened up an entire world of possibilities for the hobby.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I have a Toshiba region free DVD player I got through Amazon.UK which plays Regions 1, 2, and 4 (DVDs from Australia) with no problem

They are not vastly expensive and at least rid you of the intensely annoying 'Regions' issue...!

It may be possible to 'unlock' the region coding & set it to '0' (all Regions) on some DVD players (making them 'region free') - tho' some people have reported problems with 'freezing' picture with some DVD players after doing that so I would never try it (others however, have said their players worked fine after they 'unlocked' it, so I suppose it depends on the player)

I've read that The whole 'Region coding' thing is apparently a corporate issue

Here in the UK we can get 'clobbered' for Import duty imposed on any DVDs over 15 UK pounds from USA & Canada (plus an additional 8 UK pounds 'handling charge' levied by the British Postal Services !) on top of paying for the DVDs and Federal postage beforehand !

we need to get USA & Canada 'region one' or 'all regions' DVD sets because the vast amount of classic American TV shows only get released in the USA or Canada (or even in Australia too) and never get a 'Region 2' release in the UK

so it's an equally annoying situation for both American & British fans of each other's countries shows !

Network recently had a sale & as stated above normally have a few sales each year.

The UK DVD set of 'The Persuaders !' now comes in a smaller pack than the one I got some years back, and has got a bit cheaper.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looks like the set will set me back $70.
I'm checking on players but will most likely order a Sony player from 220 electronics.

I read a few reviews on the bd set of the persuaders and they all agree the series looks great on blu Ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Professor Echo said:
For what it's worth, I can vouch for this seller. I've been using their region free players for years, first standard players and now Blu Ray players.

I also have a Panasonic BD-60 which was easily converted to be multi-region, but for Blu Rays only, not standard discs. And it won't work if you regularly installed updates for it from Panasonic. One of the updates disabled the feature, but a new unit out of the box would work fine if you can find one.

I've never regretted going multi-region, it opened up an entire world of possibilities for the hobby.
Thanks for the recommendation and post. I'm not in a hurry but will update when I make my purchase. I'm content to wait for a network sale and will also watch for a bd player sale with 220 as well.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I purchased the Persuaders as blind buy. I watched a few episodes and was impressed with how Tony Curtis and Roger Moore play off each other during the various scenes.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
younger1968 said:
I purchased the Persuaders as blind buy. I watched a few episodes and was impressed with how Tony Curtis and Roger Moore play off each other during the various scenes.
Agreed. It's a great show!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
If there are any region 1 users that have this set, please pm me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I ordered the set. Network has a 40% off sale running through tomorrow I believe.

http://networkonair.com/shop/1414-persuaders-the-the-complete-series-blu-ray-.html

I'll figure out a player when the set arrives and I try some of the possible ways to play other region discs on my region 1 player. If that fails I will order a region free blu ray player.

If I am successful with my Panasonic I will post as well.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I picked up a few items in this past Network sale (e.g., Space: 1999, season 1 blu-ray), and almost went for the Persuaders blu-ray as well. Then i went done and re-looked at my Network release DVD of Persuaders and decided the DVD's look excellent as is. So I decided to save the $50. If the cost had been closer to the $20 pricing of Space: 1999 I may have gone with the double dip.

As is, I am splurging on the Avengers blu-ray releases from Studio Canal. Season 4 looks and SOUNDS great. Can't wait for the season 5 release in a week.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
There is a three blu-ray set called retro-ACTION that includes sample episodes from a whole bunch of 60s spy themed British series. That would be a good way to get a feel for whether an upgrade to blu-ray is worth it.

I don't have the DVD sets of Persuaders or The Professionals, so I just went ahead and ordered those on blu-ray. If they look anything like The Prisoner, I will be VERY happy. That is the best looking TV series on blu that I've ever seen.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
smithbrad said:
I picked up a few items in this past Network sale (e.g., Space: 1999, season 1 blu-ray), and almost went for the Persuaders blu-ray as well. Then i went done and re-looked at my Network release DVD of Persuaders and decided the DVD's look excellent as is. So I decided to save the $50. If the cost had been closer to the $20 pricing of Space: 1999 I may have gone with the double dip.

As is, I am splurging on the Avengers blu-ray releases from Studio Canal. Season 4 looks and SOUNDS great. Can't wait for the season 5 release in a week.

I have the Network DVD Persuaders set as well. I saw a lot of haloing and I really want the show in HD blu ray.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
I ordered the set. Network has a 40% off sale running through tomorrow I believe.

http://networkonair.com/shop/1414-persuaders-the-the-complete-series-blu-ray-.html

I'll figure out a player when the set arrives and I try some of the possible ways to play other region discs on my region 1 player. If that fails I will order a region free blu ray player.

If I am successful with my Panasonic I will post as well.

http://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_id=52&choice_id=143&product_group_id=224&product_id=1578

That is a UK company but it might be worth contacting them to see if their upgrade discs work on US machines or whether they can tailor one to your needs. It would be certainly be the cheapest route to getting a good quality multi region player.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
bigshot said:
There is a three blu-ray set called retro-ACTION that includes sample episodes from a whole bunch of 60s spy themed British series. That would be a good way to get a feel for whether an upgrade to blu-ray is worth it.

I don't have the DVD sets of Persuaders or The Professionals, so I just went ahead and ordered those on blu-ray. If they look anything like The Prisoner, I will be VERY happy. That is the best looking TV series on blu that I've ever seen.

Network Bluray releases of classic tv shows remain the best out there. The Prisoner , The Persuaders, Space 1999 are all incredible quality that far exceeds titles from other companies including the Star Trek TOS discs.

Once you see The Professionals you will have serious doubts that it was shot on 16mm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks