The perils of online gaming.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Manojlovich, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

I read the online experiences of an editor over at Gamespot playing NFL2k3 on his ps2. Quite funny and a little disheartening. Here's the article.

"NFL 2K3 Online--Three and Out
    Recently, fellow GameSpotter Ryan Mac Donald and I were discussing the online functionality of NFL 2K3. At the time I actually hadn't had the chance to play it online yet and was asking him how his experience with it has been, as far as people quitting out on him when he was up big. He mentioned that not many people had actually quit on him, but instead they would just pause the game and leave it paused in the hopes of him just quitting himself. It turns out that if the game is paused during an online game and you exit out, you register a loss while the other player's record is unaffected.

One little flaw ruining an entire experience. How typical.When I finally got a hold of a PS2 network adapter, the first game I tried out was NFL 2K3, and it didn't take long for me to encounter the same type of people Ryan had referred to. In the very first game I played, I was up by 20 points at halftime. Midway through the third quarter, the person I was playing against decided to pull off the pause-and-leave tactic. Unwilling to concede, I decided that I would just let my PS2 sit there paused, as well. The next morning when I woke up, the game was actually still paused. Ryan had mentioned to me that one of the guys who paused on him kept the game paused for over a day before finally giving up, but I never thought I would see something like that happen to me. Anyhow, I was hoping that when I got home that night, the other person would have given up because I wanted to play someone else in a game. But when I arrived home from work, the game--you guessed it--was still paused. For those keeping score, this was about 20 hours after the game was originally paused, and the guy still had the stamina (or whatever) to keep it paused.

When I checked again about two hours later, he had finally given up. I won. I guess you could say the game went into overtime.

As soon as I saw that the other person had quit, I decided to find someone else to play against. A few minutes later I found myself in a pretty competitive game that was close until the fourth quarter when I scored a touchdown with about a minute to go and was up 41-30 while preparing for my extra-point attempt. At that time, I was appalled to find that the person I was playing against decided to pull the same stunt as the person the night before. He paused the game and left it there in the hopes I would give up. Once again, I refused to concede. I sat my controller down and proceeded to just watch some TV before going to bed. When I woke up in the morning and checked on the game, the other person had already given up and exited the game, allowing me to claim another needlessly hard-fought victory.

When I got home from work that night, I quickly found myself getting back online in the hopes of finding someone who wouldn't actually pause the game (or quit on me) if he was going to lose. Within a matter of minutes I was in a game playing against my toughest opponent yet. Everything was going well, and at one point I thought I was actually going to make it through the whole game. Key word: thought.With a little over two minutes left in the game, I scored a touchdown to pull ahead 28-24. After my opponent got the ball back, he started to drive the ball on me steadily down the field and was around my 30-yard line with 40 seconds left and no timeouts. At that time, he decided to throw a deep pass into the end zone, where I was fortunate enough to intercept the ball. Right when I intercepted the ball, the person knew he had absolutely no chance of winning and promptly paused the game.

When this happened, I became so frustrated that I didn't even think about waiting it out. I simply went over to my PS2, turned it off, and vowed to never play another online game of NFL 2K3 again. Who would have ever thought I would somehow play three straight games against players who would just pause the game because they were losing. I blame it on bad luck.

On second thought, maybe I should blame it on the game and on Visual Concepts' lack of foresight in this important area. Gamers basically figured out a way to abuse NFL 2K3's negative remarks system the day the PS2 network adapter came out, so I'm scratching my head as to how not even one person from the NFL 2K3 development and QA teams ever discovered this problem. It basically ruined the experience of online play with NFL 2K3 for me. Chalk it up as a learning experience, I guess."

End of Article.

I have a feeling that setting up gaming clans is definitely going to be the way to go for online gaming.

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

This does not surprise me at all. Its just another form of cheating. Stuff like this is going to piss a lot of people off and they'll stop playing online or will only play with people they can call or go over and physically beat up if they pull that crap.

3. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    The exact same thing happens in Madden 2003 also.

4. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Numerous cheating tactics have come up in PC online gaming. Although the PC gaming world is probably a bit more understanding because they have already overcome the hurdles of just getting online gaming working. Although this is a obvious flaw in the games design. If this behavior keeps up, console online gaming is doomed.

On a personal note. I really hope that madden has some feature against it.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I played my Xbox live on Saturday. Even though i got destroyed all four games I played (never played fever before) I still played until the end (one game my friend had to leave, so I _told_ the other guy I was leaving the game) - it's just the sporting thing to do.

I play games to have fun - not to preserve a record or whatever. sad.

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Very strange that people won't lose. In SOCOM, some people will abort a game just because they're getting their ass handed to them. How else is one going to learn to NOT get his ass handed to him?

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

This is a MAJOR problem with these games keeping records of wins/losses or kill ratios. I've been on Counter Strike servers before they put in software to keep track of these things and the play was a lot of fun because people weren't worring about their scores. Then they put in the plugins to keep track of kills and ratios and it all went downhill.

8. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Is NFL2K3 Online with the PS2 also? I thought it only was with the XBox.

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I guess this would sound like "immature" people. Maybe its their first time playing online, maybe that's what they do when they play alone, quit whne losing.
    A lot of this would still prevail I'm afraid. Like Mike said, keeping score doesn't really make it better.

10. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

On the Dreamcast people used to quit in the game half-way through if they were losing and it became a real problem for a while.

11. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Ok, I have no problem cheating when I'm playing single player game, hell I've owned a gameshark for nearly every system I've owned but this just sucks. When I'm playing against another human I try to even things out as much as possible and let our skills do the talking. If I lose oh well, I deal with it. This would really make me mad If I was continually beating people and had to go through crap like that just not to register a loss. I guess that's why people form gaming clans or whatever so that they can play people they can at least trust no to be cheating asses in multiplayer games. [​IMG]

12. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Actually, I'm really surprised that the developers didn't forsee this and create a "games abandoned" stat or something. The problem is, from what I know about the online console plans, one of the biggest problems is keeping games balanced. Since there is less control on a console (I haven't tried Xbox live or PS2 online, so I can't really comment directly), than on a PC, there's a concerted effort to automatically match up players of similar skill levels. By keeping track of players' kill/win/loss records etc, the servers can try to keep things balanced out a little more. This means that these punks who are pausing and leaving the game are really just hurting themselves, since their "undefeated" record should only result in them getting better and better opponents meaning that they lose even more than before. That, or two of them get matched together, and the battle of wills commences...

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

This is exacly why I do not play on-line games. I was talking recently with one of the guys at Valve Software (makers of the "Half Life" series) and he admits that even they do not play on-line games (excluding LAN or server testing, of course) because "90% of the people who play on-line are immature assholes", as he said.

If a game doesn't have a good single-player function, I won't buy it simply because you never know who you're going to run into on-line, and I think it's safe to say that the majority of the people are not adults but kids who think that on-line gaming is just so "kewl". Painting with a broad brush? Probably, but not undeservedly.

14. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

John: That's just part of life. Do you stay home all the time to avoid the occasional idiot on the street?

Just make some friends online and play against them.

15. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Wow, that stinks! Well written though Peter. I will keep this in mind when pursuing online gaming in the near future. I guess this has been happening for a long time and will continue until the game companies find a way to stop this kind cheating.

16. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

exactly josh,
    i play halo on-line and i've found who i like to play with and we also keep each other informed to who's a dick,found few so far. maybe it's cause they're all connecting through a mac and we are slightly more civilised [​IMG]
    first thing i will do when i get my beta live kit next week is come here and exchange gamer tags with forum members so i will already have people to look for if they'll have me:b
    hwshi

17. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

As they say on Penny Arcade: "the worst part about online gaming is playing with other people". [​IMG]
    Too bad the creators of the football games didn't have anough foresight to put a timer on the pause button. 5 minute pause=disqualification. Or just do away with the pause altogether, like any other online game.
    As Xbox Live nears, and I already have my PS2 adapter, I'm finding that I have little desire for online gaming. Co-operative games seem to have a lower a@@@@@e ratio, so hopefully we'll see more of those soon. Bring on the RPG's.
    -Dave

19. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

I have found some losers online while playing NFL 2K3 on X-Box Live, but my friends list ONLY contains HTF Beta members. I have played about 4 games with HTF members and each one has been fantastic.

I would suggest putting together a network of people you can count on and leaving the bottom-feeders to each other.

Quitting, even when playing with cheaters, is not in my playbook.

Bryan
    Gamertag: PPH2

20. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I've heard about the "pause" tactic being used on Madden online but I've yet to have had it tried on me. I have had numerous quits though. I have a feeling that what quitters are doing now is unplugging their network adapters so that the game doesn't register a quit but a disconnect.