The perfect room??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harry Lincoln, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering which would be a better HT room, a rectangular room using the golden ratio measurements or a room with no paralell surfaces (angled walls, sloped ceiling etc). How much angle should be used on the walls and ceiling for the optimum results? Is there an optimum layout for this kind of room?
    Harry.

2. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

could you give me some insight on the golden ratio, ive heard of it before but not described.
    Thanks
    Adam

3. andyg

andyg Agent

There were several great articles in the '99 and '00 Stereofiles Guide To Home Theater. They gave some great info on room sizes. In essence its best to have a non-parallel wall to help ensure the sound energy gets absorbed and not reflected. I believe they had made the length of the room so that one end was smaller than the other and had also put a slight angle on the wall from top to bottom. I'll see if I can find the article dates....
    ---Andy Garabedian

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Non-parallel walls certainly won't stop reflection, but will make the reflections much more difficult to predict.