1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The People's Extras: Commentaries on the Internet

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jesse Blacklow, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I'm not one to tout the "people's media" that blog fanatics go on about, but here's an interesting idea: Podcast DVD commentaries by fans, timed to match the film. The writer and director of "The O.C." did something like this for one of their first-season episodes, which unfortunately didn't make it onto the DVD. I think it's a great idea, although I don't know what the studio's legal departments will say. We've seen a lot of uber-fan and critic commentaries on discs, but this goes even farther. While it has the potential to be abused, especially by fans who obsess over certain series or movies, it also has a chance to give alternate perpsectives from the audience, or second chances for those involved with the film.

2. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

It's an interesting idea but i'd prefer more of a Mystery Science Theater style commentary. That would rock!

3. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I remember hearing about this a few years ago - it is a great concept. Are there other sites for commentaries?

Ryan

4. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Looks like commentaries have come full circle. They originated from professors recorded their comments and playing them back over films.