What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I admit I was in the ‘as shot’ camp when I watched it. But I firmly believe there is room for your interpretation and that this parallels the Is Deckard a replicant question.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I admit I was in the ‘as shot’ camp when I watched it. But I firmly believe there is room for your interpretation and that this parallels the Is Deckard a replicant question.

I guess my question remains:

Why does Eleanor look so distraught when the doctor talks to her if Tyler is gonna be okay? Doesn't that look like the reaction of someone who just learned her friend died?

And doesn't it seem a little coincidental that we get the scene where Zak blows out the candle right before he magically gets his wish?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess I figure...

people get bad news at the hospital all the time before a patient then recovers. It's regular fare in hospital melodramas.

And who gets their wish after blowing out a birthday candle? :D

Peg was of the opinion that Zak blowing out the candles was symbolic of Tyler's life getting snuffed out. But she doesn't think that's what happened since the rest of the film played out so straight.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I guess I figure...

people get bad news at the hospital all the time before a patient then recovers. It's regular fare in hospital melodramas.

And who gets their wish after blowing out a birthday candle? :D

Peg was of the opinion that Zak blowing out the candles was symbolic of Tyler's life getting snuffed out. But she doesn't think that's what happened since the rest of the film played out so straight.

I don't think we're ever gonna agree here, but just to clarify:

I don't claim Zak got his wish. I claim the entire sequence after he blows out the candles represents his fantasy - none of it actually happens.

Yes, I know people bounce back from bad news, but the movie doesn't pursue that at all. It gives us indications that Tyler's probably dead - Eleanor's reaction is "OMG, he's dead", not "OMG, he probably won't recover" - and then immediately/magically skips to a road trip.

If Tyler really did recover, you'd expect some kind of exposition along those lines. You'd expect to see him in the hospital. The fact we get no glimpse of Tyler says he's dead, not that he's struggling.

Movies have people recover from dire situations so they can milk the melodrama - "PBF" doesn't do that. There's no shot of a teary E at a damaged T's bedside, or of Z as he visits his pal.

Because he's dead, Jim! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched the movie this morning and I liked it more than Mike. I was fine with the character development for both, Tyler and Eleanor. I agree the ending was ambiguous so that people can interpret it in their own way. I think
Tyler died and think the ending of the film into Florida was Zak's wish.
It was good seeing Mick Foley and Jake "The Snake" Roberts again. Back in the day I was a big-time wrestling fan as it was like watching a live cartoon. With that said, I haven't watched wrestling in at least 10-12 years. Anyhow, back to the movie, Duncan was one dumb ass doing that final act before so many witnesses so that was a problem for me. Another problem I have was a couple of too many coincidences in this movie. Like that black dude being at that wrestling match or Eleanor going to that old man's house. Other than that, I thought it was a good and entertaining film.

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think we're ever gonna agree here, but just to clarify:

I don't claim Zak got his wish. I claim the entire sequence after he blows out the candles represents his fantasy - none of it actually happens.

Yes, I know people bounce back from bad news, but the movie doesn't pursue that at all. It gives us indications that Tyler's probably dead - Eleanor's reaction is "OMG, he's dead", not "OMG, he probably won't recover" - and then immediately/magically skips to a road trip.

If Tyler really did recover, you'd expect some kind of exposition along those lines. You'd expect to see him in the hospital. The fact we get no glimpse of Tyler says he's dead, not that he's struggling.

Movies have people recover from dire situations so they can milk the melodrama - "PBF" doesn't do that. There's no shot of a teary E at a damaged T's bedside, or of Z as he visits his pal.

Because he's dead, Jim! :D

I do not buy that. If the trip to Florida at the end in the car was a fantasy, why would he be laying in the back with a wound to his head and bandaged up. If it was in his mind, he would have been healed. Just my 2 cents : - )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks