The Pawn Shop Dilemma

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonny K, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Not long ago I remember reading a discussion here about buying used DVDs instead of new ones. Being the poor guy that I am, I thought I'd check out a few pawn shops and see if there was anything decent.

Well I just bought "Gladiator" for 10 dollars Canadian (about 6 US) from a pawn shop and it's in MINT condition (VS maybe 26 dollars new). Totally perfect. I was quite pleased with my purchase until it occured to me that this movie may very well be stolen.

The last thing I want to do is support criminal activity, yet those DVDs are so cheap! What's a guy to do?

Jonny K.

2. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

There's a pawn shop near me that sells brand new DVDs (still in the shrinkwrap) for $10 each. They have 10-20 copies each of the newest, hottest movies. And wouldn't you know it, many of them have Wal-Mart or K-Mart price tags on them. I may be wrong, but I suspect someone in the distribution warehouses of these places are stealing them by the case.
    It all comes down to an individual moral judgement... you make the call. [​IMG]

3. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I have a friend who never buys from pawn shops, not because he's afraid stuff may be stolen, but because he believes pawn shops prey on people in desperate situations, i.e. people so broke they have to hock all their stuff...

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If they were stealing them from warehouses, they would not be priced. Rest assured that all those copies are hand lifted. No pawn shop would deal with mass organized theft, but most are willing to look the other way on the lifted stuff

If it's sealed with price stickers on it, avoid it, otherwise you can't really tell

5. Clay-F

Clay-F Stunt Coordinator

I would call your local law enforcement and turn them in.

I have worked at a gamestore that accepted trades and such. It was much like a pawnshop.

If you Pawn or sell something they should be getting the information of who sold it. So the police could check up and see if any of those "sellers" happened to work at Walmart or Kmart.

6. Rain

Rain Producer

Any time I've sold DVDs or CDs, they've recorded my name, address, phone number and ID number.

If it makes you feel better, buy used DVDs only in shops that do that.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I've heard employees at some chains have a good enough discount that they can buy stuff then sell it to a used CD store or something for a very slight profit.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

9. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"I was quite pleased with my purchase until it occured to me that this movie may very well be stolen."

IMHO you could say the same thing about buying a used car at a car lot. It is not your reponsibility to determine if said product is stolen. It is the resposibilty of the pawn shop and local or state government. The pawn shops I frequent are required to give a valid state drivers license in order to pawn. I also believe the pawn shops are required to wait a certain amount of days before they can put the pawned product on sale.

"There's a pawn shop near me that sells brand new DVDs (still in the shrinkwrap) for $10 each"

You definately have to wonder about these, but I have seen stranger things. For example I just picked up Gangs Of New York for $12 sealed. This is a 2 disc set of course. Out of curiousity I asked the seller. He stated that he has a friend who owns a convenience store and gets xx number of new DVDs each week for new releases. He then gets whatever is left after a few weeks at cost and sells them at the flea market. It's a crap shoot though. Sometimes they have extras sometimes they don't.

I guess I have a low moral code when it comes to flea markets or pawn shops. It is not my responsibilty to police said places. That's what I pay taxes for! [​IMG]
    That's my view anyway.

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Then he's losing $3. Cost on Gangs of New York is in the $15-18 range

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Another thing to bear in mind when one is surprised by a low price on a popular movie, is that when ex-rentals flood the used market a couple months after the films were hot at the rental stores and at retail, their prices are bound to be very low, because used stores are offered so many of them and may even already have two or three languishing on their shelves.

14. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"You might say that, but if you suspect it might be stolen then the onus is on you to do what's right. Even if you don't, if it's a stolen item and you find this out, it's your obligation to return it."

I stand by my previous statement. I pay taxes for people to do this for me. If I suspect an item may be stolen then I would not buy it in the first place.

"Then he's losing $3. Cost on Gangs of New York is in the $15-18 range"

Well considering he sells them(in his store) for 27.99 each I think he can stand to lose a couple of $$ on 2 dvds. So Best buy lost money on every copy they sold the week of it's release. I find that very hard to believe.

15. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

It's very possible, Chet. Large store often have items on sale as "loss leaders". The store takes a loss on these popular items with the hope that a customer might also buy a regularly priced item at the same time as the sale item.