The Paul Newman Collection

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
As Warner's announces on the back of this boxset - " Class never looked so cool". Seven of Newman's films and I wanted to ask, any ideas one which one to watch first? ( Guess I should mention I received a copy today ). Looking at some of the few features some of the titles have, four have commentaries ( Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Left Hand Gun, The Young Philadelphians, and Harper ) as well as Trailers. Pocket Money has a Theatrical Trailer; The Mackintosh Man has a Vintage Featurette " John Huston: The Man,The Myth, The Moviemaker" and a Theatrical Trailer; and The Drowning Pool also has a Vintage Featurette " Harper Times Are Here Again" as well as a Trailer. Looks like a Paul Newman weekend is coming up!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Deef - Yes, they are indeed all slimline and I think we can safely say that Warners will use them as standard issue in boxsets. I hope I don't end up putting copies in my dresser or under the bed for lack of space! And thankyou for your suggestion Mike - I will watch it first, I never go in sequence anyway and since I like Lee Marvin I'll try Pocket Money next.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

hmmm - wonder what is going on - I can't get access. Looks like others are in the same situation.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Watched Harper and The Drowning Pool last night. Two nice anamorphic films, but with Harper still split between classic Hollywood studio work, and some location work. In contrast The Drowning Pool was all on location.

Also, you can see how big a risk taker cinematographer Gordon Willis was, they are continually using really long lenses, with lots of underexposure. Compare that to Conrad Hall who just hints at that riskier style, but generally lights things brightly. Those two films alone show you a dramatic change in Hollywood widescreen style in just 9 years.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although I wouldn't consider myself a huge Paul Newman fan, I ordered this one (and then, unfortunately, forgot to cancel the earlier ordered Harper, which is in this box as well).

This box set gives you an excellent set of 7 (!) films you wouldn't perhaps buy all separately (except in my case Harper
). And at a very reasonable price.
Good collector's product!

Cees

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
It's actually a pretty good transfer, but I'm sure the new transfer will be a lot better.

I actually want to see The Silver Chalice. Everyone says it is a terrible film, with Newman at his worst, but I still want to see it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro