What's new

The Passion of The Christ subtitles (1 Viewer)

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I've been searching the net with no luck,so maybe some one here can help me.Can anyone tell me if the region 1 dvd contains burnt in subtitles or player generated ones.The U.K. dvd relesed by MGM contains crappy player generated ones that overlap onto the black bar at the bottom of the screen,something i really hate!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
They are player generated subs on the R1. You have the option to turn em on or off.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Without getting into my personal opinion of "The Passion of the Christ", I'll just say that this is a case where player-generated subtitles should be used because Mel Gibson didn't want the film to be subtitled at all. He felt that the performances transcended the aramaic language and that subtitles were unnecessary, but the distributor pressured him into adding the subs. I don't own the DVD, maybe the subs are forced, but if they can be removed altogether you'd be watching something closer to the director's original vision.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well coming from someone with limited eyesight, I'm glad the subtitles are as large as they are. I dreaded watching this for sometime because I was certain the subtitles would deter my enjoyment of the film. But, the subs were easy to read and I was able to enjoy the movie a great deal.

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator

The R1 DVD comes in 2 flavors: U.S. and Canadian. The U.S. version has player-generated subtitles in the picture area (above black bar). The Canadian version has the subtitles appearing on the bottom black bar. Also, the U.S. subtitles are white and small whereas the Canadian ones are yellow and larger.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks