1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Passage (FOX)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    They were filming in front of my house.

DaveF likes this.
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    That kinda thing doesn’t happen in Little Rock. ;)

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I think so. I don't comment on specific events with any of the characters.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You should have got an air horn or siren and set it off every time the director called "action". :D

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    This is not a limited series, is it?

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I see you've revised your initial assessment of the show, but buying the rights to a property then changing everything seems to be SOP for studios adapting books.

I'm watching the second season of Midnight, Texas, and there are all sorts of change just for change's sake. They used the plot of the third book for the first season, and are sort of combining the remaining elements of book three with completely new plots into the second season. They've mostly ignored books one and two. Casting is mostly wrong. Characters have changed age, gender, race, appearance for no good reason.

Not sure why studios pay for the rights to a story, then change everything. All they do is alienate fans of the books and, unless they hit just the right notes with their changes, fail to attract many new fans (which is what happened with this show, as it was recently canceled by NBC when the second season's ratings dropped by about half).

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Yep. Trying to be honest and open to the adaptation. I'd forgotten that the book started quite similarly to the TV show, so I have to retract some of my initial critique.

I still feel that the show is lacking the verve, the style, the voice of the book. But my wife who's coming in cold tells me its beats of revelations worked. So I'm going to try and be less grumpy and give it a more open-minded watch on episode two. :)

DavidJ likes this.
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

After episode two, I'm still intrigued enough to keep watching. I figured that grownup Zack Morris and the girl would be on the run the entire first season, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them wrap that up two episodes in.

I think the pilot must have been shot months before the remainder of the season, because the girl who plays Amy is about half a foot taller than she was in the pilot. If this is going the way I think it is, it does beg the question:
    If they inject Amy with the virus and she becomes their first successful test patient, how do you tell the story of an immortal girl who doesn't age if the actress playing her is at the age where she's about to change the most?

Let's say this show runs five years. How do you have a 17-year-old playing a 10- or 11-year-old?

That being said, Saniyya Sidney is phenomenal as Amy. When she steps out on that front porch at the end to save the man who tried so hard to save her, you believe that this little kid might just be the one to save the world.

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I’m still really liking this, but I was annoyed with the what happened to the maintenance guy. The people running this know how dangerous this all is. They know that this can be spread by bites. Why the hell do maintenace staff have access to be anywhere NEAR these subjects!!!??? And why was she in essentially a zoo cage with bars!? It was a plexiglass type wall before.

Again, I like the show and liked the episode, but that whole thing kinda pissed me off because it never should have been even possible.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Is this like a vampire version of The Girl With all the Gifts

11. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    It's been happening all the time in my neighborhood for nearly ten years now.

They're starting to call Atlanta "Y'allywood".

Johnny Angell likes this.
  12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Show got me hook, line, and sinker at this point. Really interested to see what happens next.

ChristopherG and Sean Bryan like this.
  13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

So far this show has gotten more absorbing with each episode. Fanning is a great villain, because his tactics are (up until this point) entirely psychological.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I love that they're not spinning their wheels with this. Every episode has had major developments.

As Amy becomes more and more superhuman, it's interesting to see how her relationship with Wolgast changes. She's stronger than him, faster than him, with sharper scenes, and extraordinary mental abilities that he's struggling to even comprehend. But she's also still just a kid, and now she knows exactly when he's lying. But Wolgast has never talked down to her, and he doesn't lie to her. Before, she had this sense that she could trust him. Now, she knows she can trust him.

And I loved Anthony Carter visiting Wolgast in his dreams. Carter hates Wolgast, and with good reason. But both men love this little girl. Carter knows what Fanning has planned, knows that it's almost certainly going to succeed. So he sets aside his hatred for Wolgast, and gives him his marching orders: Amy Bellafonte is the John Connor of the vampire apocalypse. She doesn't need Wolgast to protect her and keep her safe. She needs him to be Sarah Connor, to train her to be humanity's savior, turn her into someone who can survive the horrors to come.

ChristopherG and Sean Bryan like this.
  15. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

The show continues to develop its mythology, with the idea that virals created by one of the infected are connected to that individual in a very direct method. I guess you have to 'turn' before the effect is complete; otherwise Fanning would not have survived the death of the Bolivian source of the virus.

The meaning of the semicolon tattoo was new to me. I had never heard of that particular social phenomena before.

I used tunefind to locate the song playing at the end of Monday's episode. I had never heard of the group before. A 60's group named Yesterday's Children. The song was Sailing off of their self-titled album.

Guess i learned a couple of things in this episode; who says tv isn't educational. :)

- Walter.

ChristopherG and Johnny Angell like this.
  16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    The tattoo was news to me also.

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This is yet another way the virals align with vampire mythology. In some (but obviously not all) vampire stories, vampires are bonded to the the vampire who "sired" them. This was a key plot point on "The Originals"; the original family of vampires was over a thousand years old, so when members started dying, thousands of vampires sired by them (or sired by vampires sired by them) died all around the world.

You apparently don't need to have completely turned, since Amy was connected to Fanning and she seems like she's still in transition.

It does simplify the problem of a vampire outbreak, though; to kill off all of the virals, all they need to do is kill Fanning since all of the vampires owe a lineage to him. Had they not infected an innocent child, that obviously would have been a more straightforward solution.