The Panasonic XR digital receivers? Brief comparo feedback.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris PC, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What is the best sounding model out there?

Is the XR 50 ok? What about the XR 55 or XR 70? The 10, 15 (?) or 25?

Do these units really sound all that noticabley different from one another?

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

haven't heard one myself, but the XR10 is said to have the best innards ~ and sound. It's the only model made in Japan before they started the mass production line in the Malaysia facility. the next best is probably the XR45 (power board differences from the XR25, I think) Other than that I can't see them sounding markedly different.

there's a guy here who has both the XR25 and XR55 and says they basically sound the same except for the more enveloping sound from 7.1 (XR55)

I think the 7.1 XR55 is the best fitted right now, with component switching I think and the spring clips are gone in favor of real binding posts for all channels. and not a bad price at Amazon.

If you need HDMI then its the XR70 - but its 6.1 and HDMI 1.1 (1.2 was released 2 wks ago)

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Any change in opinions on which is the best sounding of late?

4. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I would get the xr55 if the xr57 wasn't coming out soon. Now I'm trying to decide how bad I want hdmi.

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

you may not want HDMI, but the XR57 allows dual amping the fronts when in 5.1 mode (XR55 only in stereo mode), its HDMI1.2 which can carry digital SACD (along with DVD-A) and - it seems people want this feature - all channel stereo is back.

6. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Chiming in here...

I have the xr30 powering old Paradigm Performance 11semk2 speakers(4ohm) and it is very clear and satisfying at least to me

Don't know about the other models but I have heard the 55 powering Epos m12.2 Bookshelves biwired/biamped stereo only(friends system) and with ladies vocals, very very clear and detailed

Regards.
    David

7. scott>c

scott>c Second Unit

I have had the 10, 25 and 50. The 10 to me was the best and I kept that one the longest. I will soon be trying the 55 simply because hookup for speaker cables is easier. Also the display on the 10 is so small I couldn`t see it from the couch.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Interesting. I like the idea because it is an option that doesn't use more electricity, but in fact, probably uses a little less electricity than my current receiver. As long as it sounds good. I guess I will research these receivers and figure out what makes the most sense, and just try one.

I like the idea of being able to bi-amp the fronts in stereo. So you are saying that with the you can apparantly bi-amp the fronts in 5.1 mode with the 57, taking advantage of the un-used channel that would have been used in 7.1. I am a 5.1 guy anyways. That means you get bi-amping in both stereo and in home theatre usage without having to flip things around. 5.1 is enough for me.

Anybody else with further experience?

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Does anybody recall where the XR 15 fits in the Panasonic digital amps?

EDIT - It looks like it's "only" 40 or 50 watts into 6 ohms.

10. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

As far as I can make out... (minus signs denote no comparable model)

XR10, XR15, XR30

XR25, XR45, XR50

- , - , XR70 (HDMI 1.1)

- , XR55, -

- , XR57(HDMI 1.2, +XR58 Europe), - , XR700 (HDMI 1.2)