Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Norman Z. McLeod’s The Paleface offers Bob Hope at the zenith of his powers as a film comedian in a western comedy that touches on every trope of the genre and throws fetching Jane Russell into the mix for good measure.

The Paleface (1948)

Released: 17 Dec 1948
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 91 min

Director: Norman Z. McLeod
Genre: Comedy, Family, Western

Cast: Bob Hope, Jane Russell, Robert Armstrong, Iris Adrian
Writer(s): Edmund L. Hartmann (original screenplay), Frank Tashlin (original screenplay), Jack Rose (additional dialogue)

Plot: Calamity Jane is despatched to find out who's smuggling rifles to the Indians, and winds up married to a hapless correspondence school dentist as part of her cover.

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...
Continue reading...

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Great review, thanks! THIS one is in my July Kino box so I won't get it until ARABIAN NIGHTS is also released on the 21st but this review has me panting!

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have Son of Paleface so it’s only a matter of time before this gets added :)

Rob_Ray

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I honestly like Son of Paleface more (sillier, Russell gets to sing, Trigger steals the show), but I understand mine is a minority opinion. That review can be found here.
I'm not sure yours is a minority opinion. I've attended screenings of SON OF PALEFACE (one with Jane Russell in attendance) and the general consensus has usually been that it's better than the original.

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I honestly like Son of Paleface more (sillier, Russell gets to sing, Trigger steals the show), but I understand mine is a minority opinion. That review can be found here.
I'm not sure yours is a minority opinion. I've attended screenings of SON OF PALEFACE (one with Jane Russell in attendance) and the general consensus has usually been that it's better than the original.
I also think the general consensus has always been that the second film is the better of the two, but I have always enjoyed the first one more. I actually think I'm in the minority.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
Actually, I've always thought that my opinion that The Paleface is superior to the sequel was in the minority. Son of Paleface is too silly but still has some good content. The first film is structured much better, has the more developed conflict and character development for Hope (granted, the usual coward overcoming his cowardice to be the hero), and the more satisfying plot line. This disc will soon be in my collection.

Reactions: timk1041

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've always enjoyed 'Paleface' far more than the sequel. There's a synergy at work; a spark which seems just a tad lacking in the sequel. But of course that's a totally subjective opinion. Get both, watch in sequence and judge for yourself.
If you see the sequel first, that may colour your judgement forever....

• Love
Reactions: Will Krupp

roxy1927

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
vincent parisi
Interesting that Matt H thinks the video on the second film is better than on the original.

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I agree. I never found "The Paleface" all that funny.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I like both but prefer The Paleface over Son of Paleface. I'll eventually get both as I upgrade my Bob Hope collection.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deano86