The outside of the STONES SACD's neglects to mention they're SACD's!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The topic header sums it up pretty well. How daft! There should be a sticker or something. BTW, the SACD layer of LET IT BLEED was very good. AFTERMATH U.K. version is playing right now. I've just come from Busted Buy....

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Maybe they figure that the people who are specically going to buy them for the SACD layer will already know what they are, and they don't want to "confuse" the average CD buyer with any thoughts of incompatibility. "Hon, this says SACD on it. Will that play in our CD player?" "Don't know dear. Better not buy it just to be safe... Those D-VHS tapes didn't play right in our VCR after all." !! [​IMG]

3. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I had to really look around to find them- in the regular cd section! It shocked me to the point that I figured they were the wrong ones. I came home to look them up online and make sure. But, hey, for the low price of 12.99, I will do alittle leg work.

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Just a DSD label on the disk. "Honey, what's DSD? Those were our trippin' days back in college.. Remember? DSD, not LSD stupid!"

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Maybe it's "new marketing" !!

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I'm not surprised. The Best Buy flier in last Sunday's paper (8/18) advertised the Stones remasters, and there was absolutely no mention of SACD compatibility. That said, I did recently receive an e-mail message from J&R Music World advertising the new Stones discs and their SACD compatibility. In fact, the e-mail message even mentioned remastering in DSD. Still, I expect SACD compatibility to be a well-kept secret in most instances (disc packaging, mass retailer ads, etc.).
    It's funny that some of the pro-SACD fanatics on Audio Asylum go on and on about what a major victory the Stones discs are for SACD, as if the vast majority of people who will buy them will do so for the SACD layer. These same people always say that the vast majority of DVD-Audio discs and players sold are for playback of DVD-Video layers and DVD-Video discs. Hello, McFly! Anybody home?! Sound familiar? [​IMG]

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

More people getting their Stones discs early. ARRRGHHH.

I want my Stones discs. Why do the Best Buy's in New Jersey have to be so clueless (or smart enough that they don't put them out early and deny even having them in the store?).

8. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Mental note to self "go to bb and check for employee screw up for non labeled sacd stones disc in regular bins"[​IMG]
    I guess I could complain about something else!

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

It seems like Sony is really missing out on a chance to market SACD to the masses. I understand that not touting the SACD layer may cause less consumer confusion, but it still looks like a lost opportunity to me. The biggest roll-out yet to date on SACD and only the enthusiasts know about it. SACD seems destined to be strictly a niche item.

J

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

We have an odd balance in Best Buys now: a SACD section of mostly Sony SACDs, prominently highlighting the SACD nature of the beast; and SACD hybrids that are "snuck" into the CD racks.

The idea is probably that the SACD layer is looked at as being a bonus, or future-compatibility.

NP: Miles Davis, Water Babies

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I listened to AFTERMATH, LET IT BLEED, and THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST yesterday and they sound considerably better than Sony's efforts on rock albums from that era. Sony stuff like Bob Dylan's BLONDE ON BLONDE and Santana's ABRAXAS don't hold a candle to LET IT BLEED IMO. GIMME SHELTER so reminds me of the day I got the record, like one of the first couple of plays. About the only difference is I'm not nearly as stoned! The bass line of LIVE WITH ME is solid, not fuzzy like so many CD's are. The guitars on the acoustic pieces like COUNTRY HONK and LET IT BLEED sound crisp and detailed. The chorus of singers in the intro of YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT sounded a bit fuzzy. The tape of them has obviously lost a bit, but besides that brief tidbit the SACD has captured the fire that was on the vinyl platter years ago, me thinks.[​IMG]
    Justin, Sony has blown it at every curve in the SACD road! I've virtually quit buying their discs. I did pick up the Jorma Kaukonen disc recently. That's proably it for me and Soo-ny for awhile...? Analogue Productions is doing those Creedence discs and they're the next thang in my sights. Well, STANDARD COLTRANE is in the master plan too.
    Sony's SACD blunders
    1. they started the format with players hardly anybody could afford
    2. they didn't bother to give the early players multi-channel capability
    3. they announced the wonderfulness of the hybrid disc but have yet to issue one
    4. the 5.1 mixes on some of their discs have been so poor! who did they hire to mix Herbie Hancock's HEADHUNTERS? nobody good!
    5. what will thir next blunder be_________?
    Keith, it is a little victory for DSD to a certain extent.
    Judy, I did like you. I sarted out in the back in the SACD section. Then I went to CD's but when I saw ABKCO on the package I knew I had hit paydirt.
    John, I wish each disc had come with a hit of LDS instead of those stupid certificates of authenticity. Acid, would of been authentic! [​IMG]
    I have a few more Stones discs coming from Elusivedisc whenever.... The labels should say SACD compatiable somewhere in atleast micro-print. I hope ABKCO owns the rights to some other good titles.

12. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Rachael,

5) Not releasing a progressive scan / multi-channel SACD player at the $200 price point, while JVC and Toshiba are in their 2nd generation of players at this price point, and Panasonic is in their first.

Regards,

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John,
    Well said. Can we go for blunder number 6? [​IMG]
    Rachael,
    Thanks for the comments on your Stones SACDs. Have you compared the SACD and CD layers at all? Looks like I'm heading to Best Buy or Circuit City tomorrow! [​IMG]

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, I proably won't compare the layers anytime soon. I'll hear the CD layer when I dub some cuts to MD when I have time. I'm busy lately supervising construction of my new place and trying to produce enough footage for my TV show to cover for my moving month. Besides, the SACD layer sounds so good, I don't want to flip the switch. [​IMG]
    John, that's a good point. Sony thinks they should get extortion prices for their namplate for atleast a few years. That was certainly the case with SACD and MD. They best get hybrid discs soon! I wonder what Sony's new SACD playes will be like? I have a feeling there will be few stand-alone players....Best wishes guyz!
    N.P. - SACD of the Stones LET IT BLEED, GIMME SHELTER!

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, fair enough. Hope all goes well with the construction of your new abode (or is that adobe? [​IMG]).
    If you do get a chance to compare the SACD and CD layers, please share your thoughts. I'll try to do the same once I get some Stones discs.

16. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Blunder #6: Not issuing a larger cache of SACD titles per month.

With Sony's catalog, no reason why they can't move faster. Where's Wham/George Michael? How about some more Springsteen? Hell, gimme some more Michael Jackson (or the Jackson 5).

But by far, I think their biggest blunder was their promotion of hybrid discs, yet they haven't issued even one.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, I have been complaining about the lack of software from Sony for a long time. That is certainly has been blunder number 6. However, Sony has done well the past couple of weeks in giving us SACDs from Aerosmith, Janis Joplin, Miles Davis, and Bruce Springsteen. Supposedly James Taylor's JT came out today. However, Sony has a way of disappearing after releasing a few titles. We'll see what happens.
    By the way, WHAM! Make it Big was released on SACD in Japan. For some reason, it has not been released on SACD in the US. I bought a copy from www.hmv.co.jp about a year-and-a-half ago. The disc was $25 and shipping was $18, but it was worth it. The SACD kills every version of Make it Big I have on CD (US, UK, and Japanese versions). "Careless Whisper" on SACD is outstanding. You should still be able to get this disc.

18. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

I guess they should have put those SACD stickers on the Stones discs somewhere...
    The remastered discs were covered on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle entertainment section today in a major article (3/4 of the entertainment section's first page alone) by respected music critic Joel Selvin.
    Rave reviews for the remastered sound, but not a single mention of SACD playback anywhere in the article.
    Kind of a missed opportunity, dontcha think?

19. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

20. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Most individuals who read this and other similar online forums are aware that the new Stones remasters are in digipaks and contain a sacd layer. Even so, on several forums I frequent, including this one, there have already been posts from individuals who've purchased the older '86 ABKCO remasters thinking they were getting the newer sacd version. This makes me wonder how many non-enlightened people will fall into this trap. I'm not talking about someone looking for sacd's in particular, as those individuals buying for the sacd will shortly discover they have the older version when their player isn't able to find the sacd layer. However, what about the everyday music fan who's not aquainted with sacd. They're purchasing just to get new Stones remastered cd's. They won't have a clue that they're actually buying an older, inferior product. Good business for the stores that carry these as they'll be able to dump old inventory and the public will not be any wiser about it. They'll take them home thinking they've purchased a newly released remaster and may never discover the difference. Maybe that's why ABKCO didn't label these as sacd's? Any thoughts on this?