What's new

The Outlaws Are Doing The Right Thing (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
After reading over their latest newsletter about the delay w/ the new Outlaw processor, I can honestly say that the Outlaws are doing the right thing. Personally, I didn't believe in Dolby Surround EX (and I still don't), but I respect the fact that some thought that it brought an enhancement in sound quality to their systems. Now comes the announcement of Dolby Digital EX (which I feel Dolby had developed all along), which will attempt to once again milk an upgrade from everyone by pushing our upgrade buttons and tempting us to shed our gear in favor of a discrete rear channel. Anyway, I have nothing but respect for Outlaw for putting the consumer first - even if it means yet another delay. It would be easy for them to put out what they have, but they wouldn't be happy w/ the decision, and ultimately, neither would we either. I highly doubt any of the other manufacturers would have done this. So instead of complaining about the 3 week delay, how about a little support. Besides, will 3 weeks make that big of a difference anyway? Especially compared w/ what you'll be getting in return.
------------------
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I agree with you. They are being upfront, and I am (still) willing to wait. Let's support Outlaw. I WOULD like to get the 950 in my stocking however.
Russ

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I agree that Outlaw is making the right decision by waiting to include this new format but I am confused about the purpose of this new Dolby Digital EX format. How is it any different from what Dolby came out with when they introduced Surround EX? Thanks for any insight ont this.
------------------

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Dolby surround EX is the same as DDEX, which is also the same as THX-EX, etc....it's all the same!
I think they're referring to the latest DPLII code and maybe DTS 24/96?
I agree though....get it right before you sell it.
Jeremy

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Personally ,I would be willing to wait a few more months for 10.2...I don't need a good pre-pro half as much as I need the PROMISE of a good pre-pro

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
What is the difference between Dolby Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX?
I'm confused.......... again
geo

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"What is the difference between Dolby Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX?"
There is none. Before DD licensed it, it was only THX-EX and could only be included on THX rated receivers. Now that DD has licensed it, more receivers will be able to utilize it. That's my understanding anyway :)
"I'm confused.......... again"
Don't be.
Jeremy

John Cain

Second Unit
I agree with Outlaw, but I'm still scratching my head over the difference between DDEX and Dolby Surround EX..
------------------

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
So the only difference is the logo.
Did the Outlaw not originally incorporate the
Surround-EX feature??
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Outlaw has had their non-branded "6.1 Matrix" format which available since the 1050 debuted. This "upgrade" is not much more than adding a new sticker on the front of the 950 and probably includes a minor fee to Dolby for use of the sticker.
Personally, I think it is a convenient cover-up for a minor bug fix. As someone with occasional inside exposure to a Fortune100 company's sales practices - it is not uncommon to seize on a convenient un-related event to give the "cover" to a shipping delay due to continuing engineering work. The customer is happy because they have an explanation for the delay that does not involve the seller lying about schedules, and the seller is happy because they get the extra time to "do it right."
As others have said, if the outlaws were serious about adding some new functionality, they would be licensing something like Logic7 and not the rather simplistic sounding Crystal Surround. For what it is worth, Logic7 is available for the Crystal DSP that the 950 uses, just poke around on the Crystal website and you will see mention of it for that DSP (the only one that does 192/24 on 7.1). I'm sure licensing fees are not cheap though...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
TomH,
Yes. DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 was announced as part of the specs. from the get go. Very nice interim format until 7.1 discrete or, hell, even 10.2 discrete comes out.
I hope they add DTS 24/96 too.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
quote: What is the difference between Dolby Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX?[/quote]Dolby Surround EX contains a matrixed rear(s). It is not a discrete 6.1 channel. Despite popular belief, there was never anything digital about it. Hence the title, Dolby Surround EX. THX-EX is essentially the same.
On the other hand, Dolby Digital EX will allow for a discrete 6th rear channel, it will allow for a true 6.1 digital sound.
------------------
"What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
[Edited last by Kevin Alexander on November 06, 2001 at 04:39 PM]

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
6th rear channel, it will allow for a true 6.1 digital sound.
Where do you get that information from? Nothing in Dolby's press release implies that.
Until now, you could only get Dolby Surround EX in THX-certified equipment. As far as I can tell, Dolby Digital EX is exactly the same as Dolby Surround EX, but without requiring THX certification.
In other words, Dolby Digital EX isn't a new format or a new decoding capability. It's simply a new name for a new licensing agreement on existing technology.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
Unless I've been out to lunch or something, I think you're mistaking Dolby Digital EX with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.
With DD EX the back channel is matrix derived from the left and right surrounds. The same goes for DTS-ES matrix (also used in the theaters). Always has, and according to Dolby Labs, always will unless they introduce something new to commerical theaters first. I've always thought that was a little short sighted on the part of Dolby since theater chains are so slow to adopt anything new.
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 (a consumer product only) does, however, have the ability to carry a fully discrete, full range back channel inside an extra flagged data packet, which is only extracted via an offically licensed DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoder. Standard DTS 5.1 decoders just ignore the packet so there is no conflict.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on November 06, 2001 at 11:56 PM]

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Sorry about the misinformation. I was thinking about the DTS 6.1 decoding. I stand corrected.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks