What's new

The Outlaw 950 pics are up, what do you guys think? (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Hmm a new Corvette Z06 costs 50K and competes with the
300K Ferrari's.. Just imagine what it'd do if it cost
300K! Don't talk smak about vettes, I have 2 of them
in the garage and I get riled up easy! :)
P.S to keep it audio related the outlaw looks great!
It's like the Corvette of Audio gear :)
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

'THX' is certainly not a necessary 'feature.'
And having THX-Approved is (IMHO) CERTAINLY no indicator of absolute quality. For example, JBL has THX approval on a number of their products.
If someone has some doubts about what THX means, please check into the actual requirements, the licensing fees and make yourself familiar with some of the industry 'kitchen talk' about it.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
The looks (judging by the image) is - how can I put it - less than satisfactory. It might be a ugly duckling but its still ugly...
In your personal opinion. :) In my personal opinion, I really like the look of the Outlaw equipment that I own and that which I've seen first hand (I saw the ICBM and the prototype 950 & 770 in NYC in May).
------------------
pat----
email: [email protected] ---===--- Finally! A home page ... Grumpy's Lair

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Considering the fact that I was thinking of buying a Denon 3802 or an Onkyo 797 just to use as a pre/pro, I think the 950 is a God-send... roughly the same price as those two receivers, but with more flexibility and no redundancy (such as the internal amps that I won't be using).
Will it be a $2500 pre/pro for $900? No.
Will it be a capable piece of equipment at an outstanding value? Yes, I think so.
I'm just buzzing and can't wait to see the first reviews.
yum.gif

------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Espen, THX certification is indicative of little to nothing. It's marketing. In many cases it's indicative of mediocrity. There are many components out there that exceed the performance and quality of well known THX badged hardware. Personally, it's a turn off to me as the one thing it is certainly indicative of is that the the maker paid a fee to THX for that label and that cost is being passed on to me. Basic THX certification is "just a logo", and I do "have a clue".
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
[Edited last by Scott H on November 08, 2001 at 02:05 PM]

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>Espen, THX certification is indicative of little to nothing.
Certification doesn't mean much however on surround processors, THX adds useful features. Adaptive Decorrelation and other malarkey...
Given the choice, I would pay more for THX Ultra certification on the Outlaw950 - say $1,200? $300 more is ok by me... I know I'm the type of idiot Lucasfilm are targeting. But an Outlaw 950 THX is not on the cards.
So as a 2nd choice, a $900 model is just fine by me...
T.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
For a web based company Outlaw sure does a terrible job taking pictures of its own products. The pictures are fussy, not big enough and not enough of them. The same can be said about Outlaw's other galleries for the 1050 and 750. Obviously the pictures were scanned in or taken at too low a resolution. Compare to the Lexicon MC-12 (Link provided by Bob McKinnon). Outlaw should be ashamed of its pictures.
I remember not too long ago there was a thread on HTF about how someone decided not to purchase the Outlaw 1050 receiver b/c he/she thought the 1050 was green instead of black. A lot of people jumped in and said "you shouldn't care about the look!" but hey! The picture did make the 1050 look green-ish and I wouldn't want a green receiver on my rack either. Silver or gold is one thing but not GREEN.
Ranting and raving aside, I think Outlaw should do a better job in showing pictures of it's products. Make the files bigger to get better resolution. So what if it takes longer for folks to download the pictures? I know I want to see every nook and granny of detail from top to bottom and from inside to out. It's bad enough that I don't get to touch it, feel it and listen to it at a retail store but shouldn't I at least be able to SEE IT?! That's not too much to ask for is it???

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
$300,000 for a ferarri, first of all there is only one ferarri that is close to that price and it is a F-50, and a vette doesn't have a prayer against that car. Just what I expect from a corvette squared owner=wannabe car enthusiast (j/k).
Actually, I prefer to compare it to a new M3!! (sweet, but unabtainable)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Those pics just turned me off of the 950, no way in hell I will be buying that cheap looking thing, I have never seen a processor's guts that look so simple...hell even my Sony 555ES's guts look closer to the Lexicon's guts than the 950.

J

John Morris

James J: Isn't the 555es a receiver? Of course it would be more "gutty" than a processor. And, doesn't the MC12 cost $5,000 or something like that? Then I guess the MC12 should have 5 times the guts of the 950. Finally, more guts isn't necessarily better. Most times, with audio gear, simple is cleaner, simple is better.
IMO, the guts of the Outlaw look great. It looks like a solid well built $2K processor.
I can only hope that it sounds as good as it looks! :)
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
John,
Actually the MC-12 is closer to $9,000 or $10,000. It depends on where you buy it from and if you get balanced outputs or not.
The Outlaws do need bigger and higher rez. pictures.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I believe the MC-12's MSRP is $8,000. It replaces the MC-1, which can be had used for $2,000-$2,500 (or more). I think the MC-1's MSRP is $6,000.
I wouldn't expect the 950 to look like the MC-12 (I assume the fellow member didn't either...just made for an interesting comparison). But, others are correct...since one is using the medium of the internet to sell their product and you usually only get one chance to make a good first impression...I'd say they didn't take full advantage of medium.
As far as the 950's exterior, it won't win any awards. Then again, the Lexicon's previous processors didn't win any awards for their exteriors nor would you look at them and say "hey, I see where my $6,000 is being spent"...but the insides certainly reflected the price tag (for those in the high end market).
Just my 2 cents
Ron Boster
(Soon to be owner of a pre-owned
wink.gif
Lexicon MC-1)

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
One reason the guts of the 950 are so simple is that the Outlaws are using a highly integrated, off the shelf DSP/DAC. Where the Lex might have 10-20 ICs, the 950 has one. This conslidation is certainly a less expensive approach, it probably means decreased sound quality, the question is by how much. I expect that it will not be anywhere near $7000 less in sound quality.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
... I have never seen a processor's guts that look so simple ...
Actually, simple is much better when designing electronics. As I admitted to back during the Model 1050 beta test, I used to work for a company that made circuit boards for other companies back in the early '80s (it was called Multicircuits, I think it was bought & moved out of state 8-10 years ago) and designing clean, simple boards like I see in the Model 950 is far more difficult. It also ends up allowing for a far better product when it's done right, making the difficulty worth while. And, as Jah-Wren points out, where as the Lexicon and Sony units use far more discreet pieces and IC's, the Model 950 looks to be using fewer, but more integrated pieces ... again, it's more difficult to create a chips to do several things than just one. On the other hand, by using one chip to do many things, you end up with far fewer pieces and/or connections that can go bad and/or suffer interference. Also, fewer boards meen fewer interconnecting cables which means less wire to suffer even more interference ... etc etc etc.
Of course, all of this is just my, albeit expereinced, opinion. And the Outlaws could certainly prove me wrong.
biggrin.gif

G'night,
------------------
pat----
email: [email protected] ---===--- Finally! A home page ... Grumpy's Lair

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks