The Outlaw 950 pics are up, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Razvan V, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

The inside looks nice, the transformer sems to be quite big. I wonder how heavy the preamp is.
    Razvan

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

IS THAT A REAL PHOTO OR AN ARTIST'S RENDITION OF WHAT THIS UNIT MIGHT ONE DAY LOOK LIKE?

3. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    About what I expected.... the big question is not the looks, but the sound and functionality.... looks are nice but if it cant cook and clean then out on the street in goes!!! Oh wait I am thinking of something else there.... sorry… [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

4. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

Matthew,
    For trying to start a riot, go to your room this instant!! No need to yell either, as your upper case typing would be interpreted on the net. I understand your frusration with this product, but lets wait and see what it will sound like when it does start showing up.
    ------------------

5. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm... I still only see five A/V inputs on the pictures of the alpha 950. The specs up their site state that there are seven a/v inputs with S-video. I really hope there are seven, that would get rid of all the extra switching I have to do in my setup.
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

6. Espen Braathen

Espen Braathen Stunt Coordinator

Well, its still vapourware but here goes:
    No THX = No buy.

7. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

"No THX = No buy."
    man, sounds like you're gonna miss out on alot.
    Better Cables and Cat cables aren't THX certified are they, and they seem to get rave reeviews here. So does SVS.
    also, as the product is about to ship to testers, i'm not so sure it's still considered vaporware.

8. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

>man, sounds like you're gonna miss out on alot.
    Don't worry, it's Espen. He's already missing out a lot on his Sony 9000es :)
    Back to the 950, looks very clean inside. How long to a full spec. sheet and pdf manual? I think it's getting close...
    T.

9. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

NO THX = NO BUY
    I agree this is a pretty weird comment. THX means nothing. A majority of the really high-end processors don't have THX. Yet they blow away the $1500 units that do have it. Why put any weight on THX, especially when this simply increases the cost due to the licensing fees paid out to THX to bandish the logo.

10. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

I wish there was a closer view, or a larger jpg so we could zoom in on it a bit..
    -- John
    ------------------
    [Edited last by John Cain on November 08, 2001 at 04:24 AM]

11. MatthewJ S

I'm sooo sorry, really ,the upper case is a result of my typing skills,etc....I'm goin' to my room now, BUT FIRST (UPPERCASE HERE IS INTENTIONAL)...
    THanX for your ULTRA high priced rubberstamp [​IMG]
    The lack of that high priced logo actually makes me feel good about Outlaw!
    But ,alas, "almost" shipped is still vaporware!
    keep eyes open for the delay caused by "problems" with beta test units...that'll be the next delay,etc,etc, etc....
    Frankly, no one wants this unit more than I , CAUSE it's tough to combat the PROMISE OF A GOOD PRODUCT.
    wOULD ANY ONE HERE TOLERATE oNKYO hyping a product for a year ,stating delays etc....I think not.Y ou would have bought something else

12. Espen Braathen

All the "high end" processors have THX Ultra these days:
    * Lexicon
    * Meridian
    * TAG McLaren
    * Proceed
    * Mark Levinson
    * Integra Research
    * Parasound
    Espen

13. MatthewJ S

yes, if your spending $2,500 + anyway ,whats another several hundred dollars ....
    And (I'm sorry but I can't resist) you did say "high-end"

14. Espen Braathen

Rob Robinson:
    "man, sounds like you're gonna miss out on alot."
    I allready does. I can't justify the cost of the new Lexicon MC12...
    Afaik, Outlaw is a budget product which has severe limitations (completely unrelated to the sonic qualities):
    The looks (judging by the image) is - how can I put it - less than satisfactory. It might be a ugly duckling but its still ugly... (The facial reminds me of old NAD gear, yuck...)
    The possibilities on the connector side could have been better; its not bad - but there could have been more.
    THX is as far as I know the only processing which adds a decent "bass peak limiter" to the subwoofer output as well as a calibration set-up which lets you adjust to reference level (75 dB SPL = -30 dB FS) without a hazzle. Did I forget to mention proper re-equalization?
    People here who simply claim that "THX is just a logo" doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.
    Adding a few 100's to the retail price could undoubtly have fixed these serious glitches on the Outlaw.
    Espen

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Espen,
    What can you expect for $900 US?
    Thanks end of THX discussion.

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

quote: THX is as far as I know the only processing which adds a decent "bass peak limiter" to the subwoofer output as well as a calibration set-up which lets you adjust to reference level (75 dB SPL = -30 dB FS) without a hazzle. Did I forget to mention proper re-equalization?[/quote]
    Oh my, I guess I didn't realize what THX did. Now I am glad that the 950 isn't gonna use that. Who would want their bass limited(just buy a decent subwoofer like the Ultra and you don't need to limit it) and I always turn off the re-eq on preamps if they have it. And calibrating to reference level is something easily done with a calibration disk and a RS sound meter. If this is all that THX does, I'd much rather spend the $200 extra on something else.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on November 07, 2001 at 08:39 PM]

17. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Forgot to add that these "glitches" haven't even been heard yet. How can you make a rash decision based on myth?
    The only reason I'm personally skeptical is because I've heard previous Outlaw products and they didn't impress me. That doesn't say this could be a stellar product.

18. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

19. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    The pics look great and I am looking forward to this component coming out soon. I believe the wait will be well worth it for another quality Outlaw product. I have the Outlaw 750 amp and I am very satisfied with the sound and build quality. By the way, I could care less about THX!
    ------------------

20. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

If you won't buy a component that isn't THX "certified," then why bother putting down what could possibly be an excellent product? THX doesn't always necessarily mean better. I've heard computer speaker systems with THX certification that don't sound as good as some without. (Granted that's a different catagory, but the basic idea still applies)