Sam Posten
Launches tonight.
uty7r983b0u31.jpg

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-outer-worlds
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-outer-worlds
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/the-outer-worlds

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not that I ever was into Fallout 76, but The Outer Worlds is looking better and better after the Bethesda subscription service debacle.

- Walter.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Its got a really slow start so far.

Seems like about standard for these creators. The Fallout series never seemed to start out with a bang either. The advertising for their games always appears to be better than the games themselves.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm loving The Outer Worlds so far. People have made comparisons to Borderlands and to Fallout New Vegas. And Mass Effect, too. Cross those with Firefly (the TV show) and you've got this game. Some of the biggest criticisms have been about the (easy) difficulty, but there's a harder difficulty that (I've heard) does present a challenge. Personally, I like a game that lets players of all skill levels proceed through the plot.

Although the game isn't groundbreaking per se, it combines its influences into a relatively stable package. And it looks mostly great on my Xbox One X (OLED). Most of all, it's refreshing to get a big-budget game that isn't tied to some kind of ongoing multiplayer service. We already have plenty of those around.

Anyone who's played New Vegas won't be as surprised by the breadth of choices and dialogue options, but the game really lets you make some interesting decisions that can change the story in meaningful ways.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was looking at Fallout New Vegas but there doesn't seem to be a PS4 version.

I am looking at possibly getting THE OUTER WORLDS but wondering if I am better off starting with another game of the franchise?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Was looking at Fallout New Vegas but there doesn't seem to be a PS4 version.

I am looking at possibly getting THE OUTER WORLDS but wondering if I am better off starting with another game of the franchise?
There is no other game in the franchise, this is the first. This is by the creators of Fallout, but is not a Fallout game or sequel. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, so let me rephrase the question...

Since this is based on Fallout -- and that seems to be the franchise leader --- should I start with that game?

I have heard good things about these games. Just wondering, if I do buy one, which would be among the best?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Okay, so let me rephrase the question...

Since this is based on Fallout -- and that seems to be the franchise leader --- should I start with that game?

I have heard good things about these games. Just wondering, if I do buy one, which would be among the best?

I would actually recommend checking out The Outer Worlds first.

Most Fallout fanatics will tell you that Fallout: New Vegas is the best of the 3D Fallout games. I personally with start with Fallout 3, as it provides more of an overview to that world. However, the thing that people celebrate about the Fallout games, the wide-open role playing aspects, can be overwhelming. These games can take many dozens of hours to explore, even if you don't advance the plot. The worlds are HUGE, and if you just want to see more story, the size can feel oppressive. Furthermore, the Gamebryo engine that powers Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV is glitchy and frustrating.

The Outer Worlds uses the Unreal engine. It doesn't try to do as many things with world objects. You can't pick up every coffee mug and pencil you see. So although the worlds aren't as "interactive" compared to the Fallout games, they're full of things to do. The plot trots along at a faster pace, and the game can be "beaten" quite easily if you are focused. This lack of complexity is what people have criticized about the game, but I think it makes for the perfect starting point.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't think that Outer Worlds has any tie to the Fallout series. It is it's own thing. For the Fallout series, I started with Fallout 4 because I was late to the game. I was not into RPG type games. But after I got Fallout 4, I ended up getting Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim and like both of them so I guess maybe I am a RPG fan.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Ronald Epstein Can you play Fallout 3? It’s not remastered and not released for consoles past Xbox 360 and PS3, I think. It might be moot unless you’re also PC gaming.

I loved FO3. And haven’t played Outer Worlds. But I don’t know if recommend a decade old (non remastered) game as the place to start.

Also,(IIRC) as you tend to play a game a short bit, get bored, and move on ... these games are 40 hr to 200 hr game play. I’d start with the new hotness. If you like it enough to want more then you could go back and dig into the older games of this genre (FO, Skyrim, etc). :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can certainly try Fallout 3. That sounds like good advice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That’s the exact opposite of the advice we’ve given you! :laugh:

laugh. I apologize Dave. I thought you were asking me a question about Fallout 3 but I see you are actually questioning whether it can be played or not. I am sorry for misreading that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone heard anything about Outer Worlds on Switch with the 1.2 patch? I'm wondering if it's worth buying now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks