What's new

The Outer Limits (new) best-of s1 & s2 content? (1 Viewer)

David Deakin

Auditioning
Anyone have any idea what's on the forthcoming canadian-only release of the best-of seasons 1 & 2 of the New Outer Limits? It's up for pre-order at a number of places for April 20th but no one seems to have any info!?

Deaks.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
I searched on Ebay using "outer limits dvd" and found a listing that said this:

=========================

OUTER LIMITS: THE SERIES: THE BEST OF SEASON 1 & 2
FROM KOCH VISION ENTERTAINMENT

One of the longest running sci-fi series on television is finally available on DVD!!

THE OUTER LIMITS: THE SERIES - BEST OF SEASONS 1 AND 2 features the best 22-episodes from the first and second season of the 1995 - 2002 run. THE OUTER LIMITS is a provocative anthology series that has earned numerous Emmy, CableACE, Gemini and Saturn awards. Like the original 1960s classic series of the same name, each unique episode takes the viewer into a different realm of human imagination, where technology and aliens are rulers of the world - revealing our greatest hopes and darkest desires

KOCH VISION ENTERTAINMENT

FULL SCREEN PRESENTATION

5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND

FURTHER SPECIAL FEATURES TO FOLLOW

5 DISC BOX SET

=========================

According to TV Tome, S1 and S2 were each 22 episodes, so possibly the best 11 episodes from each season were chosen. I haven't seen any US release information, so maybe the two New Outer Limits DVDs release over a year ago didn't sell well. At Amazon.ca, the price is just over $34 US. I may just have to get this!

David Deakin

Auditioning
Yep, that's about as far as I got. The bloke who runs tvshowsondvd.com told me by email that he has an episode list but it's been days since he promised to post it to the site. :frowning:

Deaks.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
The folks at TVShowsOnDVD may be waiting for an official OK to put up a news item about it (or they could be contacting the US distributor of Outer Limits to see if a US release is planned). I check TVShowsOnDVD every day for new news, and they've always done a great job, so I'm sure there will be a news item soon!

It stinks a bit that Koch isn't releasing full season sets. However, if no US release is planned, this is a great deal for only $34 US -- this was such a great show that it was a pleasant surprise to see a big chunk of episodes available in Region 1.

David, thanks for your original post. I'm so glad I know about this release!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I have some information, but I'm waiting on another email from them before posting it. Apparently some things have changed, but I don't know what. I hoped to have it on Friday, but the email never came.

Gord

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Here's the episodes we have from the current two "compilation" discs:

Time Travel & Infinity
A Stitch in Time S2E1
Tribunal S5E12
Deja Vu S5E16
Gettysburg S6E17
Patient Zero S7E2
Time To Time S7E15

Sex & Science Fiction
Valerie-23 S1E3
Caught in the Act S1E17
Bits of Love S3E1
Human Operators S5E7
Skin Deep S6E3
Flower Child S7E12

So there's only opportunity for overlap on 3 episodes (hopefully there won't be any overlap at all). As much as I hate having to buy "best-ofs" and compilations, that looks like all we're going to be getting right now. :frowning:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I can't understand why they just don't do season sets? If the show was successful enough to last as many seasons as it has. Then their should be no reason it cannot be sold in season sets.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Another question -- Will the episodes be the uncut versions that ran on Showtime, or the versions censored for syndication?

It does seem rather silly to release a 22 episode best of seasons 1 and 2, when they could just release the complete first season.

If Stargate SG-1 warrants complete seasons (and it's up to, what, season six now?), then I should NOL deserves at least the same chance.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Just checked amazon.ca, and the release date for this set has been changed to May 25. Any official news or an episode list yet?

David Deakin

Auditioning
Yep, the date has been pushed back, and it's 20 eps not 22 but here's the list:

Sandkings: Part 1
Sandkings: Part 2
Blood Brothers
Second Soul
Virtual Future
Living Hell
Corner of the Eye
Under the Bed
The Conversion
Quality of Mercy
The New Breed
Unnatural Selection
First Anniversary
Straight and Narrow
Trial By Fire
From Within
The Light Brigade
Falling Star
Out of Body
The Sentence

There will be no extra features.

Deaks.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David. With 5 DVDs and 45-minute episodes, 20 episodes makes perfect sense (3 hours per DVD). With no more US releases as of now, this will do.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Gord, I have a few questions that maybe you can answer. While I'm thrilled about this Outer Limits release, I haven't seen any news about further US releases since the two single-disc MGM compilations came out. Did they not sell well? From my web searches, it seems that MGM released the single-disc compilations in Canada, too. Did MGM now decide to let Koch International license some episodes for this "Best Of" (and I'd assume/hope there would be "Best Of" collections for the remaining seasons -- although full-season sets would really be best)?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Koch actually licensed the episodes from Alliance Atlantis, which is why they will only be available for sale in Canada (AA owned the Canadian home video rights).

Gord

PiotrekW

Auditioning
Hello. I'm a TOL fan from Poland. Does anybody know if tha 'bestof' DVD could have any subtitles?
I have two DVD relesaed by MGM in USA ('time travel...' and 'sex & scifi') and them dont contains real dvd subtitles, but have 'closed captions' (for people with hearing problems). I can display that subtitles on my monitor and i can understand much better. My english is poor and i don't understand movies in english without subtitles.
I read that over 90% dvd released in USA has a 'closed captions'. I wonder if closed captions are present on Canadian releases of dvd?
Can anyone help me?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused... aren't complete Season 1 & 2 sets already available from MGM, what's the problem with those?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Those are the original "Outer Limits" seasons - black & white, that aired in the early 60s.

This thread is about the "new" OL that aired originally on Showtime in the 80s/90s.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
err, make that just the 90's on Showtime. I will not buy these sets as I want season sets, not best ofs, of any configuration. The series is a pretty damn good one (at least for the first few seasons) that I want every episode. Hell, some of the episodes for season 1 and 2 have a sort of semi continuity between them. MGM dropping the ball on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks