1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Well, the cover art is nice, at least, but it feels more like one of Marvel's old monster titles, like Tales to Astonish, Amazing Fantasy or Strange Tales.

"The Glob From Another Galaxie." My dad had a Ford Galaxie. Maybe the Glob drove up in one...

Flashgear and Hollywoodaholic like this.
  2. Message #1282 of 1288 Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    Just about everything on the cover is unintentionally funny. The comics makes the worst episodes look great in comparison. ;)

Flashgear and Hollywoodaholic like this.
  3. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Hey, Marvel's Strange Tales, etc. were way better art-wise, and story-wise. Not as good as classic EC comics, of course, but a decent runner up. I regret ever selling them. The Outer Limits comics were easy to dispose.

Flashgear and ScottRE like this.
  4. Message #1284 of 1288 Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I never read The Outer Limits comics, but I think the cover art shown here is pretty darned nice.

60's comic tie-ins were sketchy at best. Gold Key probably did the best, and that's on a sliding scale. Their Star Trek comics were hilariously off beam, but the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea book was top notch. Since that series was a live action comic book, the four color medium fit perfectly. The art was generally great also (Don Heck and Alberto Giolitti to name two). The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants suffered from very poor art (but the covers - especially Time Tunnel - were insanely good). A few years later, Carleton Comics did Space:1999 in both standard color and large sized black and white. They were pretty good. Some of John Byrne's earliest work was on that.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    #3, I remember this one better than some others...as I recall, the cover story supposes that a race of invisible aliens has cohabited Earth with humanity since time immemorial...even as an 8 year old, I knew these comic books were a sloppy knock off that had little to do with the TV show that supposedly inspired them...
    [​IMG]

#4, quite an appealing cover...small Daystar logo at bottom middle...
    [​IMG]

#7...featuring a larger Daystar logo and store ink stamp...
    [​IMG]

Sadsack and Doug Wallen like this.
  6. Message #1286 of 1288 Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    Funny, the Daystar logo and the microscope cover with realistic art were the things I liked when I checked out the covers online. I downloaded scans of several issues, if anyone wants them.

Flashgear likes this.
  7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Kind of reminds me of the Classics Illustrated comics of HG Wells The Time Machine. I had a copy as a kid. The cover art was terrific and stayed with me. The design of the Time Machine was cool. My copy was lost over time though.

8. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I had that one (The Time Machine) and War of the Worlds, Mysterious Island, Moby Dick, etc. Wonder why they never offered those Classics Illustrated in reprints as EC did?