1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I love this show. My grandkids... not so much. They'll sometimes watch an episode with me but more often than not go somewhere else if this is what I'm watching. I truly believe this one is a borderline "You had to be there" type show. It speaks to us 60s kids in a way that's hard to describe from the iconic open all the way to the end credits. I prefer this one over The Twilight Zone and not just for the "monster" episodes. Frankly, some of those "great" episodes just don't work for me and never have, Soldier in particular but there are others.

Watching TV, whether it's a movie or TV series, should *never* feel like homework - unless you're watching to write a review. Like you say, when it does, it's time to move on. I'm glad you took a chance. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think that’s it exactly.

I think in terms of classic TV sensibilities, I’m finding that I may be more of a late 50s guy than a 60s guy (Star Trek excepted, of course).

Flashgear, Tony Bensley and BobO'Link like this.
  3. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I was born in the wrong decade. I still wish I saw all of these series first run. 1964-1969 is my favorite era for TV. The Irwin Allen shows, Star Trek, The Invaders, Jeannie, The Fugitive, The Green Hornet, 12 O'Clock High, so many others. I mean, I love some shows before and after (like The Untouchables, Have Gun Will Travel and MASH), but that era has the largest concentration of shows I enjoy. I would have had a hard time choosing between some back then...

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I *did* grow up then and it was incredibly difficult deciding just which show you desperately wanted to see would be "the one." There were some for which I'd watch one show one week and a different one the next just to be able to see a few episodes. This was also a period in TV history when many shows would have 30+ episodes per season with few, if any, reruns. Most shows went on hiatus during the summer months and you got test series and summer replacement programs (lots and lots of variety type shows).

I know nostalgia plays a part but the 59/60-70/71 seasons are my hands down favorite years for TV shows. That my grandkids (the ones who live in the same town as me - ages 8-15) like almost everything from that era I've shown them speaks volumes. Those 11 years account for more series in my collection than any other single decade.

5. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I grew up in the 70's. A lot of afternoon TV for me was syndicated shows from the 60's. They were on 5 days a week and never opposite each other and it was great! The Outer Limits didn't have as many episodes and was only on once a week on a Saturday. So it was a rare sighting to savor and enjoy when you caught it. (Like the hour long Twilight Zone)

A show either resonates with you or it doesn't. Like many here, older shows still resonate with greater power and impact than newer ones. And nostalgia plays a big part. I also believe the people making TV from 1955 to 1975 were brilliant and will try nearly any show from that era sight unseen. I don't like them all. Some that were highly praised left me cold on first viewing. If will could all predict what people wanted to watch we would be network programmers. :D

6. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    But, you have the advantage of watching almost all of those shows on high-performance DVDs, Blu-rays, and streaming, on high-definition televisions many times the size of what we were limited to in the 60s. Still, I wouldn't trade the original experience, so I understand where you're coming from. :thumbsup:

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. Message #1247 of 1288 Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ...and I'm *still* waiting on a replacement disc...

I'm just about ready to order a new copy from Amazon and return the original as defective.

**EDIT**
    I looked at their support page again. They are now taking requests directly on that page. I tried *again* so we'll see...

8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I have not gotten my replacement disc either. :(

9. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

I did see them first run. Thanks for making me feel good about when I was born. :)

10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    After putting in a request on their support page yesterday I got a reply within 2 hours that they'd be sending a disc followed a few minutes later with a email containing a tracking number for the shipment! Using that number today shows it's supposed to be delivered by FedEx tomorrow - Friday - by end of day!

11. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    While I'm sorry you got lost in the shuffle, I'm glad you took action and got a quick turnaround!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    The replacement disc was on the counter when I got home from work! I plan to watch it sometime tonight. :)

13. Nelson Au

Great News Howie- I just emailed them again to remind them, but I have not heard back. Did you use the bellsouth.net email address?

14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    No. I used the Customer Service page and form there. I looked at it again a few days back to get the email address to make another request and saw they're now saying to contact them through that form for defective Outer Limits discs. I thought "Why not... the other way hasn't worked."

Here's what they now have on that page concerning Outer Limits:

15. Nelson Au

Thank you Howie! I will pursue the customer service route and hope to have the same success you have had.

Darby67, BobO'Link and Flashgear like this.
  16. Nelson Au

Good news, I got a reply from Olivia at Kino Lorber about my request to get a replacement disc. She said they will gladly send me a replacement. I hope They send two discs as I bought two sets directly from Kino Lorber.

Thanks for the tip Howie. I’m getting one step closer!

17. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    They come in a very non-descript mailer... AOL spam discs came in better packaging ...

Harry-N likes this.
  18. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Mine was in a largish standard bubble mailer with a plastic disc holder inside containing the disc. It came FedEx 2 day shipping.

19. PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    (Forgive me if this has already been addressed ...)

If I order the season two Blu-ray set now, from Amazon, will the corrected disc be included in that set? Or will I have to order the replacement disc separately?

20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    It *should* be fixed. But be prepared to check immediately and order a replacement if it's not. The only way to know is to play the episode "Soldier" on disc 1 and listen to the audio.