What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (1 Viewer)

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
My disc arrived safely despite the cardstock (not cardboard) mailer. It was thinner than the kind you would buy to mail a plain disc, so it was bent and dogeared. Maybe the plastic bagged invoice stuck on one side added some cushioning.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Got mine, UPS, yesterday too. Only about 5 months since I requested one, so I guess that's not too bad. Looks and sounds great. I guess I should check the other episodes in case another problem cropped up, but in any case will hold on to the original disc until I feel in the mood to re-review those episodes.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I received my replacement Blu Ray yesterday, undamaged thankfully. I'm in Canada, and mine was mailed April 9, so I thought I might be waiting a little longer than people Stateside...I also thought that my package would be held up for Customs inspection, like my replacement discs for The Fugitive Most Wanted Edition, which were held for about a month, leaving me to think they were lost.

Anyway, thank you Kino-Lorber, Technicolor and one Leonard Baccino for getting this to me and setting this right...thanks also to David J. Schow on Facebook for the info about the replacement discs, the updates and the assurances this was actually happening...

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Kino has this on their Customer Service Page:

"OUTER LIMITS BLU-RAY DISC REPLACEMENTS:

First batch of DVD & Blu-ray Outer Limits discs replacements have been sent. If you recently purchased a copy and would like a replacement disc please send email to [email protected] along with your full mailing address and the format required (DVD or Blu-ray)."

Nelson, I didn't request a replacement until a few weeks later like you. But my replacement arrived two weeks ago. Maybe you should send a second email.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks, Mark! Like Nelson, I've not yet received my copy and waited a few weeks to be sure that original replacement information was legit. If mine isn't delivered today I'll try again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi all,

I’ve been trying to get into Outer Limits since the first season set came out but unfortunately I just don’t think it’s the right fit for me. I have a post up in the classified section for my copy of Season One on Blu-ray - asking $20 which includes shipping. Just wanted to mention here in case there’s a fan looking for a lightly used, excellent condition copy. I’d love to get it into the hands of someone who can put it to good use. (Check out the linked post for more info or feel free to PM me with any questions.)

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...son-1-bd-like-new-price-lowered-to-20.361434/

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Finally found some free time and I have finished disc 3 of the second season.

The Inheritors Part 2 (2.11) Robert Duvall, Donald Harron, Steve Inhat, Ivan Dixon, James Frawley, Dee Pollock, Ted de Corsia, Jan Shutan. Fascinating conclusion of the episode. For some reason, I imagined that this 2nd half would not hold my attention as well as part 1. Glad to say, I was wrong. Even though I was able to figure out where the story was headed, it was a very enjoyable ride elevated by all of the fine performances. Excellent story that never felt padded over both parts.

The rest of the episodes on this disc seem to be fixated on "love". Not really sure the types of stories presented were best for exploring the nature and motivation of love.

Keeper Of The Purple Twilight (2.12) Robert Webber, Warren Stevens, Edward Platt, Gail Kobe. Scientist under strain to produce a weapon and he feels close but the stress of deadline is preventing his success. Enter Ikar, an alien who offers help if the scientist relinquishes his emotions. Strange way to learn about your enemies. Doesn't Ikar realize he could be influenced. Doesn't seem like he thought through the transference process. Cool creature design :thumbsup:. Misogynist view of women looking at this in 2019. Love is the key.

The Duplicate Man (2.13) Ron Randell, Constance Towers, Sean McClory. Another "love" episode. Could have been a great story discussing the dual nature of man. What does someone give up in order to acheive their goals. Insted we get a monster as the catalyst to again disect love.

Counterweight (2.14) Jacqueline Scott, Sandy Kenyon, Crahan Denton, Michael Constantine, Charles Radilak, Larry Ward. Travellers undergoing testing in a mock spaceflight of 261 days. Seems to be a psychological study of how people will react in close quarters. Unknown to the passengers, they are being experimented on by the Antheons (residents of the world they are supposed to be travelling to). A character study in madness and paranoia that follows all of the "locked room" tropes. I don't believe I have ever seen this episode before and probably won't again. Superior alien intellect shuts down earthling plans to colonize. Over the top acting on display in this one. I think I like the tumbleweed episode better than this one.

The Brain Of Colonel Barham (2.15) Grant Williams, Elizabeth Perry, Anthony Eisley, Douglas Kennedy, Wesley Addy. My first thought goes right to Spock's Brain ("Brain and brain! What is BRAIN???). I realize The Outer Limits was first, but this episode just seems ridiculous, although Jennifer Barham was a pleasant diversion. Again the nature of love is questioned.

These transference stories seem repetitive. I am assuming that staff knew the series was over. Maybe that is why the stories seem devoid of creativity.

Two more episodes left and then I will explore the various extras. Getting to the extras is the main motivation at present to finish this set.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, there weren’t any episodes that spoke to you? Or was the style not working for you?

I want to say this carefully and respectfully because I know the show has lots of admirers, and I think it’s fantastic that the show is now available on a quality Blu-ray release. And I don’t want to crap on something that people love.

But the show wasn’t working for me personally on any level. I was hoping for something more Twilight Zone-esque but with a harder sci-fi bent to it, and I wasn’t prepared for the sheer number of monsters of the week that the show had to offer (at least through the first three or four discs, where I finally stalled out). It felt dated to me in a way TZ didn’t. The episode length wasn’t great for me; I felt done with each episode long before they ended.

So the set has been sitting next to my TV since it came out last year, and I haven’t felt any desire to pick it up again at all this calendar year. I’m just over the whole thing. I was eagerly awaiting its release and I thought I was going to love it, but it’s a chore to watch. And I realized that we all have such little leisure time to begin with, so why am I spending mine doing something I’m not enjoying at all? I really wanted to love it but that wasn’t reason enough for me to continue.

So I’m hoping there might be someone out there who would enjoy it more than I did. It is a very nicely put together package and it’s going to waste in my living room.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Josh, my mom felt some of the things you did. She would watch an average episode and say, "they could cut half of this out and it would be really good. They sure do explain a lot of things they don't have to." My mom was no science whiz, but she was of the mind that they didn't give the audience enough credit sometimes. However, when an episode did click for her, it really clicked. The Man Who Was Never Born was her favorite. She felt it was the only time travel story she ever saw that actually made sense.

We were getting them from Columbia House at the time and split the cost until she finally decided she didn't have the patience to sit through a classroom discussion about scientific theory. So she gave up on me three volumes before the end. I picked up the rest, but I do agree that there are a really generous helping of duds in the series.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You might enjoy Season 2 more then. Several shows without the monster in your face. Just a thought.

I've seen two of the more famous season 2 episodes, Soldier and Demon with a Glass Hand, and I was very underwhelmed by both.

I think it's just time for me to pack it in on this one. When it starts feeling like homework instead of something fun, it's time to move on. I've enjoyed reading the discussions here and I just wish I enjoyed the show as much as everyone else in the group. Oh well, I don't regret taking a chance on it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh, well, if it doesn’t work for you then sure, it’s understandable you don’t want to keep torturing yourself.

I admit myself that not every episode works for me. I’ve owned the series on laserdisc and DVD prior to the new Blu Ray and saw the series on TV as a kid in re-runs. It made an impression, so my perspective is different. But I only watch my favorites and I didn’t see every episode. This Blu Ray release gave me a reason to watch every episode in order. I completed the first and am taking a break in the middle of the second season while I still wait for the replacement disc. I have to say, I found it much more rewarding to watch each episode this time beyond my favorites and found some new interesting episodes as well as a better understanding of episodes I’d seen, but that never acquired a taste for before.

I figured you might not be taken by the series. I’ve often read several episodes are considered gothic, but I never got that. This series has a lot of Star Trek connections too. Though not a good enough reason to watch, it is fun to see so many Star Trek stars and guest stars guest on The Outer Limits.

About the monsters, it was ABC who demanded a ‘bear’ each week. So that might have diminished the purity of some of the episodes. Wah Chang was hard at work designing and making those before he did the Gorn and other things on Star Trek. Speaking of which, the episode Fun and Games is based on the short story, Arena. And you know how that goes.

If you don’t get any bites for your set, and you feel like watching a few episodes, you might want to try The Bellero Shield, Controlled Experiment, the iconic Zanti Misfits, and The Man Who Was Never Born. But if The Galaxy Being and Architects of Fear didn’t work for you, then maybe it’s not worth your time. The Man Who Was Never Born is such a good episode and The Bellero Shield too are both favorites. Sally Kellerman and Martin Landau were great. There is the music and cinematography of Conrad Hall that also adds so much atmosphere to these episodes.

I can’t believe Demon With a Glass Hand wasn’t at least interesting for you. Admittedly, as a kid, I loved that glass hand prop. I still do. So for me and others I’m sure, there is that factor of being highly influenced by the series at a very young impressionable age. I wished you’d liked the show and hoped that you got to see the more iconic and well known or well regarded episodes.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've seen two of the more famous season 2 episodes, Soldier and Demon with a Glass Hand, and I was very underwhelmed by both.

I think it's just time for me to pack it in on this one. When it starts feeling like homework instead of something fun, it's time to move on. I've enjoyed reading the discussions here and I just wish I enjoyed the show as much as everyone else in the group. Oh well, I don't regret taking a chance on it.

We can't all like everything. I was all jazzed to watch Thriller but overall, it didn't do much for me. So, I totally get it.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
The Brain Of Colonel Barham (2.15) Grant Williams, Elizabeth Perry, Anthony Eisley, Douglas Kennedy, Wesley Addy. My first thought goes right to Spock's Brain ("Brain and brain! What is BRAIN???).

Ranks right up there with "No blah, blah, blah!" as one of my fave lines from Trek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks