1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Neither have I. I’m hoping the disc just shows up in the mail. A notification email would be great though that it’s coming.

2. Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    Maybe Kino got their name from "keno" the gambling game. It's a lottery, but the House always wins. ;)

3. Nelson Au

Hey guys- I didn’t get a chance to write up my impression of Cry of Silence which I watched last week. Admittedly, it’s the first time I’d really seen it. I knew it had the tumble weeds and starred Eddie Albert but I never fully watched the episode before to understand what was going on. The episode never caught on to me before as my younger self. I watched it with a completely open mind and I was surprised, I genuinely liked it. It had a decent premise and an interesting sci-fi angle. I suppose the leap made by the Eddie Albert character was a stretch in order to resolve the situation. However, I thought it was a pretty good story. Lamont coming back as a zombie was creepy, but effective. Some serious stunt work too for Eddie Albert to run down that slope with all the loose rocks. I assume the wife falling was a stunt person.

Onward next with The Invisible Enemy. This is an episode I have seen a few times before. But not recently, so it should be a new experience.

4. Sadsack

David
    I can't imagine why he would do this but I think this was bullshit. I sent a private message asking about the status but he never replied. He's been onsite so even if he didnt want to reply to me, I would think he'd post about the replacement, otherwise why bother posting in the first place.

Tony Bensley and Flashgear like this.
  5. Message #1185 of 1296 Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    KINO means "Movie Theatre" in German... and I have not had a response from the replacement disc email ... But I see in other threads there appear to be some "bandwidth" issues with regard to the one available pressing plants with some discs being delayed etc

Tony Bensley and Flashgear like this.
  6. Message #1186 of 1296 Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Sadsack

David
    Um, I was joking about the Kino name. That's what the wink emoji implies. Got an email from them 11 days ago that discs were shipping. Don't hold your breathe.

7. Message #1187 of 1296 Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Nelson Au

Hey guys, not a lot of discussion on the season 2 episodes. I guess this season dropped the enthusiam level. :)

I carried on with Wolf 359. I never understood this episode as a kid. Why is there a creature coming from the Wolf 359 miniature planet that Dr. Meredith has created in his lab? I guess that’s the big mystery of the story. I’d seen it a few times on the DVD set. So I know the story. Upon rewatching it, I liked it more. I liked the idea of a laboratory recreation of a distant planet. Though I can’t figure the science that would be needed to create the planet, generate the same gravity and atmosphere in such a way that life will evolve and at such an accelerated rate. Ignoring that, I guess what the Doctor did was accidentally create an additional entity they he theorizes to be evil and one that is growing more powerful as it kills the animals and plants in his house. I get now that he sends his wife and assistant away to protect them as he knows how dangerous the experiment has become. But he’s also so obsessed with seeing the way the planet will evolve he takes the risk to see it though. I’ll have to re-view parts to be sure if he uses his own genetic material to create the planet. If he does, then my take this time is that it’s like Forbidden Planet, where the good professor’s darker side is what is emerging on the planet. Like Warm Heart Cold Hands, the wife saves the husband at the end from her love. I agree with Craig, this episode is really a good one and one i’d Never fully got until this recent re-viewing. Or it’s just a new interpretation that works for me. :)

I forgot to add, the puppet for the alien creature was great! One of Wah Chang’s best designs and realized so well and acted so well too as it spreads its wings and retracts.

I also like that Wolf 359 is the sector where the Federation has a battle with the Borg in Star Trek The Next Generation.

8. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    To be honest, the moment I got the Season Two set there was like some long, gestating sigh of relief, like that was enough to finally just have it on my shelf. But I haven't dipped into any of the episodes, yet. I did see some of the extras, including the excellent interview with Joseph Stefano. And I'm still waiting for my replacement disc for the "Soldier" disc. :cool: But I will screen this season's episodes at leisure, satisfied that they are there waiting for me, but somehow not as compelling as the Stefano-inspired first Season.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  9. Nelson Au

Understandable. :). I’m not exactly ripping through the episodes myself. But I’m for the most part enjoying the episodes. I sure hope Soldier replacement discs gets sent out pretty soon.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    That so-called replacement disc has been dangling in the Outer Limits for some months now. This is ridiculous. I think it has been close to or over 4 months I put my request in. The only news I hear is the newer sets are fixed. So much for the dedicated fan.

11. Message #1191 of 1296 Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Sadsack

David
    Really? So one could order it from Amazon, claim it's defective and send them the old set for full refund (not exchange). ;)

Flashgear likes this.
  12. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

Kino has said the discs are going out in the next couple of weeks.

Flashgear, Doug Wallen and Darby67 like this.
  13. Nelson Au

About Wolf 359, I rewatched most of it. I was curious about the point made that Meredith introduces the DNA factor into the Wolf 359 recreated planet. It was vague to me it seemed. He didn’t say what DNA when Dabney Coleman asked about the moss on the planet. Meredith just said he introduced the DNA factor. I also reread the David J. schow entry into the episode. It was interesting as he quotes the people involved who wrote and produced it, I found it interesting that the idea for the screenplay was that Wolf 359 had an evil entity that rose from it like the Devil, contrasting on Earth how God was here to spread the good side, the devil was spreading the evil onto the recreation of Wolf 359. And Meredith was able to observe the evil influence on the people who were constantly killing and warring with each other.

So it seems that basically, Meredith used DNA from Earth and recreated Earth on Wolf 359. But the Devil ruled it and that devilish entity as it grew more powerful was able to cross through the seal and into Meredith’s lab and house. I guess I found this episode much more interesting then I ever realized before.

Flashgear likes this.
  14. Nelson Au

About the replacement discs for Soldier, I’m believing they are coming. The posts by others said there is just a limitation of the number of replication plants still in operation. I don’t understand why some of the plants closed down. Maybe because the sales of discs has dropped in recent years. Which is a shame.

15. Message #1195 of 1296 Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    I received my set the week of release and began by watching Soldier (2.1). I had already read of the audio glitch but was not prepared for how distracting it actually was. This has always been a favorite of mine so the audio was very disappointing. I wanted the audio to be the equal to the video. Due to this issue, I was leery of continuing with the disc. After a few weeks of seeing the set on my shelf I was compelled to reopen and move ahead with the next episode.

Cold Hands, Warm Heart (2.2) William Shatner, Geraldine Brooks, Malachi Throne, James B. Sikking, Lawrence Montaigne. This episode is not a favorite of mine. Shatner as an astronaut on a mission called Project Vulcan who returns home and is abnormally cold and is growing webbed hands. Domestic drama and dreams of a venusian. Have never found much to care for in this one.

Behold, Eck! (2.3) Joan Freeman, Peter Lind Hayes, Parley Baer. A fun episode that I have always enjoyed. Nothing serious and the clueless Doctor gets the really good looking girl.

Expanding Human (2.4) Skip Homeier, Keith Andes, James Doohan, Jason Wingreen, Vaughn Taylor. A Jekyll-Hyde story with two actors that I always get confused over. Star Trek guest stars and regulars abound in this episode. I have always found this one to be enjoyable.

Demon With A Glass Hand (2.5) Robert Culp, Arlene Martel, Abraham Soafer. Excellent episode, probably my favorite of the second season just like most everyone here. Nothing much to add.

I am travelling through this set at a much slower pace as there just aren't as many episodes this season.

Cry of Silence (2.6) Eddie Albert, June Havoc, Arthur Hunnicutt. From the best to one of the worst of this season. The sound of the tumbleweeds is grating. Storyline may be OK, but I just couldn't really get into this one. I kept falling asleep. Such a chore to get through.

The Invisible Enemy (2.7) Adam West, Rudy Solari, Chris Alcaide, Joe Maross, Ted Knight, Bob DoQuoi. I used to call this the "Loch Ness in the SandPit" episode. The beginning set up is very good and gives us an interesting mystery. As a child the monster was effective as it travelled under the sand. I found the final act to be a bit anticlimactic now due to the "acting" and stupid decision to go onto the lake. Still, I have a fond spot for this one, also Batman is in it.

Wolf 359 (2.8) Patrick O'Neal, Sarah Shane, Peter Haskell, Dabney Coleman, Ben Wright. Interesting theory and creepy demon. Everytime I see this episode title, I think of the Borg battle mentioned in TNG and DS9.

I, Robot (2.9) Howard da Silva, Marianna Hill, Ford Rainey, Leonard Nimoy, John Hoyt. Another very excellent episode from this season. What makes us "human"? Is it intelligence? Strength of character? Physical strength? A Soul? A very thought provoking episode and a unique look for "Adam".

The Inheritors, Part 1 (2.10) Steve Inhat, Robert Duvall, Ivan Dixon, Donald Harron, James Frawley, James Shigeta, Dabbs Greer, Leon Askin. Four Vietnam soldiers suffer traumatic head injuries that should kill them, yet each survives and has changes made to their brain. An X-Files like agency is assigned to investigate. These men become obsessed with creating things they don't understand. The government is getting closer.

This is the only two-parter in this classic series. I found the setup in this episode to be well done. I really do wish to see the conclusion. I hope I am not disappointed. I am definitely taking my time with these. I am not sure how many more "good" episodes I have left. I have enjoyed most of what I have seen of this second season. They are definitely different animals from Season 1. Not necessarily bad, I just don't feel the tug to watch these at quite the same pace I did with Season 1. I kept forgetting to update this thread when I watched one.

16. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Cold Hands is painful. It wants to be good, it really does, but - much as I love Shatner - he's awful in this and the dialog for Brooks is vomit inducing.

The Inheritors: OMG, this episode is beautiful. The second part will not disappoint, I am surprised you were able to stop. This episode is my all time favorite OL. All time. Enjoy it.

My only issue it that they put part 2 on a separate disc. They could have easily moved part one to the next disc. I hate when two part episodes are split like that.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  17. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    If you don't have the DVD sets you can also watch both season on Hulu now.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  18. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    I really need to spend some quality time with Season 2. There are episodes on here that I don't think I've seen since in their entirety since they originally aired on ABC. For one reason or another, they've always avoided me. WOLF 359 is one of them. I'm not sure I;ve ever gotten all the way through that one, even though I've owned it on VHS and DVD for years. I can recall starting it a few times, but have no idea where it goes or how it ends. Just reading an above description has me puzzled. Perhaps a project for later today...

19. Sadsack

David
    yeah, reminds me how I forgot to change the megazoid's litter box one day and it got bad really fast.

20. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Has anyone gotten any legit word on replacement discs for season 2 yet?