1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Eck was very benevolent.

The word you're thinking of was "malevolent." Which Eck certainly wasn't.

THE OUTER LIMITS (and THE TWILIGHT ZONE for that matter) were (generally) seriously profound and soberingly intelligent dramatic anthologies addressing no-nonsense social issues and concerns. And when both indulged in delving into outright comedy (which like generic westerns at the time tended to over-dominate television) these "lighter" trivial more frivolous efforts naturally seem superficial in comparison to the "darker" tone of both shows (ie. "A Kind of a Stopwatch").

The problem with the Ben Brady regime was that there weren't enough representative outstanding achievements on a par with "The Architects of Fear," "The Sixth Finger," "The Man Who Was Never Born," "Nightmare," "The Invisibles" and "A Feasibility Study" (none of which are a laughing matter to be sure) that characterized the first season under Joseph Stefano.

For myself, I'm not that much of a fan of the clearly flawed "Controlled Experiment" and its specious "there's still a good life to be lived in the here-and-now" notion which is totally out-of-place on a grimly pessimistic tv show like THE OUTER LIMITS.

But that's (the more conventionally minded) Leslie Stevens and (with the exception of the fine "The Galaxy Being") he was no where near the provocative dramatist of the "dour, taciturn" Joseph Stefano (or Rod Serling for that matter).

"Behold, Eck" would have been more accessible to a "younger" more juvenile audience as opposed to adult.

But in all fairness this segment's sentiment was in the right place and Peter Lind Hayes makes for interesting prestigious (and appropriate) celebrity casting. Especially to "us" fans of THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T (1953).

[​IMG]

Jeff T.

;)

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Thanks Jeff, I fixed my post. I did mean that Eck is most benevolent! I’d like to blame spellcheck. :)

And thanks for the thoughts in your post of the analysis of this episode and episodes that have a lighter tone and it make sense. Every series should include episodes that are lighter or fun every now and then if it’s organic to the show’s premise.

I have never had any other exposure to Peter Lind Hayes, so I never knew who he is or his other appearances. As a fan of the George Pal films, The Time Machine and War of the Worlds, When Worlds Collide, I’ve confused his film 7 Faces of Dr. Lao with The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. Both I’ve never seen.

I thought Hayes and Joan Freeman was great as the leads in this episode.

3. Message #1163 of 1182 Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    It was a clearly comedic episode which I don't consider a flaw. I enjoyed it.

4. Sadsack

David
  5. Nelson Au

Thanks Dave! That’s great news!

6. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
  7. Message #1167 of 1182 Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Sadsack

David
    I would ask KINO instead of us. I would assume they'll still honor requests for replacements, although you probably should have done that earlier.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. Message #1168 of 1182 Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Jerseydevil

Jerseydevil Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    I received a notice from TECHNICOLOR HES SE LLC that my replacement season 2 disc 1 was sent yesterday and I should get it on Saturday

9. Sadsack

David
    Good news. If you can, let us know how the audio sounds, and any other changes.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. Nelson Au

I’ve waited till we started to get reports that Kino is ready to send replacement discs. So I sent them an email last night requesting a replacement, and for good measure, I included a screen cap copy of the email from them confirming my order for the set as proof of purchase. Hopefully my message gets though and they reply with news the disc is on its way.

By the way, last week I watched Expanding Human. Not a favorite. Conceptually it was OK. Though there are several things I found interesting. Seeing three Star Trek alumni was cool, Skip Homier and Keith Andes, plus Peter Duryea in a small role. But seeing James Doohan was cool before he does Star Trek.

The other thing I thought was cool was the location filming, I wonder if the location for Skip Homier’s bungalow still exists in Los Angeles.

Looking forward to watching Demon with a Glass Hand next.

Darby67 likes this.
  11. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    What address did you send the email to?

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Nelson Au

I used this address:

[email protected]

This was posted here and on other sites. On the email title, write Outer Limits Recall. I hope you get a reply. I haven’t seen one yet. Perhaps they just send you the disc and not reply.

Darby67 likes this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I used that address a week or so after it was first "announced" and haven't head a word... not one... I even emailed Kino's CS to ask a few weeks after that original email and never heard a word...

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  14. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Yeah, I emailed that address a couple weeks back along with a screen capture of my Deep Discount order to confirm, but haven't heard anything back.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  15. Message #1175 of 1182 Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Sadsack

David
    Maybe they don't like the 3 Stooges.
    Noone has said they received a confirmation from the southbell address, so I don't expect one. I'm surprised that other company sent out a shipping notification.
    Kino has replied to my questions when I used their contact email (within a week or two). You might try it again if it's been over 2 weeks.
    [email protected]

Flashgear likes this.
  16. Nelson Au

I finally got to see Demon with a Glass Hand last night. It’s probably been a couple of years since I wanted to wait for the Blu Ray before watching it again. Like most people, it’s one of my top favorite episodes of the series. It’s interesting that the most memorable works of Harlan Ellison for me are time travel stories.

I’ve seen this episode many times, so I try these days to avoid over watching. So it’s kind of new each time. This time as I’ve done before is look at the Bradbury Building, the sets, the costumes and of course, the glass hand. It was cool to see the tiled set floors of the opening shots of Trent escaping from the Kyben and that expressionistic shot. You can see the footprints on the floor.

What I always assumed was that most of the scenes in the Bradbury were shot there, but in the back of my mind, I knew some were sets. But they did a really good job if Consuello’s tailor shop is a set, it’s matches so well when you look out into the hallway. Maybe it was filmed in the Bradbury building, but the clarity of the Blu Ray to me revealed that the painted door in the Passport outer office looked like a set built. I knew the building was old, but not as old as it is. So you see the wear and tear on the bricks when Trent is running through the building. I noticed on contemporary photos of the building, the wall scones lights have a different glass shade today then they did in 1964.

The scenes in the basement of the Dixon (Bradbury) building with the pipes and leaking water made me wonder if that building was in that much disrepair! Of course it could simple be set dressing. When Trent comes out of the basement, it sure looks like the Bradbury. The attic fight scene looked like a mix of the real Bradbury and set for the room that Trent and Consuellos hides in.

It was never clear to me that when Trent arrives in 1964, he didn’t use a mirror portal as the Kyben do. I read Craig’s blog post and he mentions that Trent materializes outside without the mirror. I never realized that before. I’ll have to look for that again. So for me, there was never a plot hole. It made sense to me that if the mirror portals at each end were destroyed, it closes the openings.

This viewing, the episode seemed to fly by. I do still like that way the story unfolds as Trent finds more of the brain lobe fingers. It has such a great build up and then tragic end for Consuellos and Trent. You think the future humans built Trent so well, AI had emotions. And we feel bad for him when Consuellos takes her hand away from him and she leaves him. As a stand alone story, I don’t feel like we need to see the story of the Kyben attack on earth or how Trent makes it to the further to restore humanity. I was curious about one thing this time, I had forgotten that the Kyben reported that a disease was spreading among the Kyben. They say it wasn’t a pathogen from Earth, but I wondered if it was from after the war on Earth that infects them. Nice that the same fate befalls the Kyben as did the invading Martians on earth.

I really wish we could get a soundtrack release of this second season. This episode has such a great collection of Lubin pieces and it just hangs together so well. In listening to the Frontiere soundtrack CD, of course his music is very iconic for the series. There’s just an amazing aspect to how well the Lubin pieces created a theme for the second season in that pieces like “Supernatural” and “Paranormal” works to bind the music from other Lubin tracks.

The Blu Ray does have some really nice clear shots of the glass hand. It’s always been a dream to assemble the parts and do the necessary fabrication to make the internals bits and do a water clear resin casting of the hand. Someday. :)

In the end, I would still rank Demon with a Glass Hand with The Man Who Was Never Born at the highest levels for The Outer Limits. On the Blu Ray viewing of Architects of Fear, I would bring that epsode up too at the same level. Same with A Feasability Study which I always ranked pretty high up and The Bellero Shield. All great episodes.

17. Message #1177 of 1182 Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    The original The Outer Limits is an iconic, excellent sci-fi show. I wasn't around when it originally came out - though I have vague memories of seeing some episodes back in the '80's, on late night TV.

However, it wasn't until 2012 that I made a point to watch the entire series (all three seasons). Great stuff here - very moody, dark, and creepy at times. I'm glad the show was in b&w, since it wouldn't have been nearly as effective if it had been in color.

I plan on re-watching the show soon, hopefully on Blu-ray.

I know this show is unfairly compared to The Twilight Zone (another great show from that era), but whereas TZ had some sci-fi episodes, the focus wasn't completely on sci-fi. And, TOL was a pure sci-fi show, and the episodes were also longer than most TZ episodes (which were primarily half an hour long).

Doug Wallen and Darby67 like this.
  18. Sadsack

David
    Did you receive the disc? If yes, did you watch SOLDIER?

19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^I'm more interested to find out if *anyone* else received a shipping notice for a replacement disc.

20. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    I have not received any notice ... yet!!!