1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    So you want to hire Mike Ansara to be your terminator, I mean, soldier...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darby67, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

That’s a nice resume and promo for Ansara. I like Ansara as Commander Kang in Star Trek, he made quite a memorable Klingon on TOS and DS9. His appearance in the theatrical film version of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was cool too.

3. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I still can't find any acknowledgement on Kino-Lorber's Facebook page, but David J. Schow is emphatic in re-posting this today on his Outer Limits Companion page...his comment about messaging to the "cheap seats" is his alone...
    A Outer limits 3.JPG

Darby67 and Tony Bensley like this.
  4. Sadsack

David
    I'd have preferred "You Huddled Masses" but I guess it's better than Rubes or Peanut Gallery.

5. Nelson Au

If DJS is posting that information again, it’s encouraging it will be true.

Craig Beam and Darby67 like this.
  6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^It would be more encouraging if he stated "I've heard from KINO and they are doing a replacement program" instead of just regurgitating the original FB post that no one's seemingly been able to verify.

7. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    Did it ever occur to you that Schow may have in fact heard it from Kino, but isn't in a position to publicly state as much until they themselves have made an official announcement?

In any case, I'm happy to report--- without naming my source--- that the replacement program is authentic. There will be a bit of a delay due to holiday replication logjams, but we should see the fix in early 2019. Buy with confidence.

8. Sadsack

David
    We're just a phone call away!

Flashgear and Craig Beam like this.
  9. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Unless it's from your deceased granny ...

That's another show ... nevermind ;)

10. Nelson Au

That’s great news Craig. Thanks! :)

Flashgear likes this.
  11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yes. But if that's the case - state it, like you did. All he did was throw out a comment that's borderline insulting along with an apparent copy/paste of the original message from someone else. Without citing a source or stating that it comes from a reliable source it's nothing but rumor. You, I know and trust from history on this site. I know Schow only from a few commentaries on the S1 set so have no basis to trust anything he says without him citing a legit source.

It still makes me shake my head in bewilderment that Kino hasn't yet bothered to publicly announce the replacement program themselves. It's almost as if they don't want anyone to know so as to lessen the impact on the bottom line.

It shouldn't be this hard. Universal was far more transparent with the Revenge of the Creature replacement disc even though they were hampered by a holiday weekend. Kino first said, essentially, bugger off, we're not going to fix it... apparently received even more complaints (or more likely realized the prospect of having thousands of returns)... reconsidered and caved with a replacement program that they've not themselves announced publicly.

At this point I'm more than annoyed with Kino. That they completely ignored the video glitch in S1, going so far as to say it's not there, started off stating they'd not fix this audio issue, and the way they're handling the replacement announcement after caving means I'll never order another Kino title without fully vetting it first.

12. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    Guys---- by "cheap seats" he meant the nosebleed section that may not have already heard the news. Not everything on the internet is designed to insult or degrade. David J. Schow has done more than anyone on the entire planet to preserve and promote The Outer Limits. It cracks me up that somehow *I* would be considered a more reliable source than him. He's in a much more visible position than I am, so he has to be more careful... again, until Kino decides to make an official announcement, he's spreading the word as much as he can.

Jack K, aPhil, B-ROLL and 4 others like this.
  13. Sadsack

David
    Craig, lighten up. I wasnt criticizing Schow, now or before. I was just joking about the phrase (which I understood, but not why he used it). If your interpretation is correct, I think the real uninformed "cheap seats" are the average consumers elsewhere on the internet, not the select fans who visit his site.
    And you can understand Bob being ticked off about the lack of any certainty from KINO.

14. Sadsack

David
    Even better, Stefano's "Ghost of Sierra de Cobre" about a woman with a phone by her coffin.

15. Message #1135 of 1264 Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Sadsack

David
    On Disc 1, EXPANDING HUMAN, there's two spots where the volume drops noticeably. At 34:24 for a minute, and at 47:09-15. The old dvd level is better in those spots, sounding like it was manually corrected.
    Volume also dipped slightly in DEMON WITH GLASS HAND when Trent is talking nose to nose with super patriot Rex Holman (around 18:20). Again, more audible on the dvd.

16. Nelson Au

My copy of The Outer Limits Season 2 blu ray set arrived today. I ordered it directly from Kino because my first season set arrived slightly crushed from the minimal packaging used by Amazon. I was a bit worried because the cardboard box from Kino had been dented, I could feel and hear the sets inside the box shift around. I bought two sets, one is a gift. There was one small bit of those airbag things inside, but it didn’t seem to be enough to fully protect the sets and the sets could shift and hard no protection to stop from moving up and down. Because the packaging Kino developed for the Outer Limits isn’t that robust to begin with, it seemed very easy to damage the box the blu rays are housed it. Both boxes appear to be largely OK, but given its shrink wrapped, it could be obscuring some dents. I’ll see how the copy I keep looks after the shrink wrap is removed. I’m disappointed they didn’t better pack the box.

17. Message #1137 of 1264 Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    For now, Amazon is no longer selling this season two Blu-ray directly. On their site, it's only available from third-party sellers. A result of the audio debacle?

* UPDATE * Now it's back in stock on Amazon. Still available.

18. Nelson Au

Last night, finally, got to see the new blu ray version of A Feasibility Study. I also read David J Schow’s entry on it from his book. For his audio commentary seemed like he was paraphrasing himself mostly, I only listened to part of it, though I wanted to finish hearing it.

The only major flaw in the film element seemed to be the section where Dr. Holm finds himself in the fog as he stumbled through to find his wife. There are some vertical scratches in the film. It didn’t last too long.

This is another one of my favorite episodes that like the earlier episode, I rediscovered as an older teen. I’d seen it as a kid, but it didn’t sink in what was happening till that later viewing. ( Yes, the Borg who scooped out sections of the planet in The Best of Both Worlds seems to have been inspired by the shot of the Luminoid ship that teleports the 6 City blocks. ). The episode is filled with iconic elements for me. The area where the Doctor finds himself talking to the elder is really creepy and still evokes a strong sense of another world that’s not a nice place to be. The shot of Phyliss in the glass tube being sterilized is so well done, with the sound effects and the optical sparkles swirling around her. I always wondered who that was who is looking at her in the tube. I see it was the teenager who was in their shed. This shot for some reason reminded me of a shot from one of the color Godzilla films in the 1960’s. The one with the miniature girls. Wait, was that Mothra?

The final section of the episode I’ve always saw as a noble act by the town’s people when they each infect themselves to save the earth, not a downer. I’m surprised to see that ABC didn’t like it to hold it up from broadcast. I didn’t know that. To me it’s very much like a Star Trek episode, but the towns people didn’t get out.

Also, I didn’t know this episode was filmed as the ninth one and very early on. It explains the stronger narrative of Stefano. I really listened to the dialogue this time and it’s really good stuff. I could watch it again to relisten to it. It’s pretty pointed at times when directed to what the Luminoids think of the people of earth.

I used to think of this episode a lot whenever there is a heavy fog bank I’m driving into. :). Though around here, the fog never gets that heavy.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  19. Nelson Au

16ED7939-0605-471D-82FB-BA0EDB7E8E60. Ralph, where are you!

Looks like unusually heavy fog today in Silicon Valley, we didn’t get teleported to Luminos last night.

Doug Wallen and Flashgear like this.
  20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    So... here we are a bit over 3 weeks after the first posting about how to get a replacement disc... and there's *still* no "official" notice from Kino. :thumbsdown:

Did anyone email that address for a replacement? If so, did anyone bother to reply? Given the silence from Kino about the issue I'd be surprised if they did.

Darby67 likes this.