1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Limits is turning 50....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Craig Beam, Sep 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I have experience with both having worked in radio and TV. Usually when the soundtrack sounds this bad on film you'll see issues in the visuals as well (a "breathing" type effect or some flicker). There are none present here which is quite puzzling as that wow is quite pronounced.

Tony Bensley and Flashgear like this.
  2. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Usually new transfers use a separate magnetic track for the audio in sync with the picture elements. The audio is not coming from the film itself as it would be if you were projecting a print on a regular projector. So it’s certainly possible to have perfect picture and messed up sound at the same time (or the opposite). Seems like a case of the transfer personnel not paying enough attention to the audio either because someone was distracted or playing at such a low level that they didn’t notice. Either way of course it’s not acceptable.

Tony Bensley, Flashgear and BobO'Link like this.
  3. Message #1103 of 1273 Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Sadsack

Sadsack Stunt Coordinator

David
    It ruins the entire episode, whether you try to watch that section or skip over it.
    Over on blu-ray.com, someone posted KINO's response:
    "We've noticed this issue which lasts less than ten minutes and it's on the source HD master. We will not be issuing replacements."
    The "less than ten minutes" suggests some worse threshold must be reached. Great. More likely, it's just an easy fill-in-the-blank phrase to excuse whatever they want. Blaming it on the HD master is like saying "It was like that when I got here." Apparently Homer Simpson is in charge.

4. Message #1104 of 1273 Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    As posted on another forum, a message from Kino on Facebook:

Darby67, Flashgear, Richard V and 4 others like this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^I'm from Missouri... That email address doesn't match up with anything on their site and is seems odd that they'd use one in the "bellsouth.net" domain considering their contact email is "[email protected]" so I sent the body of that reply to them in a "Contact me" form asking if it's legit.

Darby67, Rodney and dpippel like this.
  6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Yeah, I'm with you about that email address domain. Please keep us posted!

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It is odd, I wonder if that's a direct email to their replicator.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey, if this is true, it’s great news! I’ll withhold my excitement and not be like Eck and crash into the TV. I’ll be eagerly awaiting any news confirming the replacement disc.

My sense is there’s been quite an outcry about the audio. While the audience for this release is small, perhaps the optics was not a good thing for them and worth the effort to redo the disc.

9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I also posted that message in the Kino Insiders thread asking if it's legit. Hopefully one source or the other will reply soon...

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The Kino posting originated on David J. Schow's Outer Limits Companion Facebook group.

11. Message #1111 of 1273 Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Sadsack

David
    Well if it's on Facebook it must be true ;), but shouldn't they have posted it so everyone could read it, instead of sending it privately to one person?
    If they reply by asking for your SS#, credit card or bank account info, and that they can send you a foreign money order for $200,000 if you send them $1000 first, I might be slightly suspicious.

12. Message #1112 of 1273 Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    The post as it appears on David J. Schow's Outer Limits Companion FB page...
    A Outer limits 5.JPG

13. Message #1113 of 1273 Nov 30, 2018
    Sadsack

David
    "Slightly distorted"? ;)
    What about Gary Gerani's omitted commentary?

14. Message #1114 of 1273 Nov 30, 2018
    Nelson Au

Given a choice, I’d take the new master of Soldier, with respect to Gary Gerani. Did he really do a commentary on Soldier or was that a typo somewhere? I’ve enjoyed his commentaries on Season One and while Kino didn’t say it, maybe they will include that commentary too in the replacement disc.

Edit: I just looked at the Kino Lorber site and there is only the commentary from Schow listed for Soldier. No mention of a replacement for Soldier though.

15. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    That Kino reply is suspect; there's no mention of providing proof of purchase.

Darby67 likes this.
  16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    And the email address... That's the biggest issue I have. Had the post come from David J. Schow I'd be a bit more accepting. But I do not know the person who posted that reply and they don't cite a source - just a quote of the message. I remain skeptical.

Darby67 likes this.
  17. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    I think it's important to keep in mind that Schow merely shared something posted by someone else. I'm not taking it as gospel until I hear it directly from Kino. Christian Hartman (the original poster) runs the the Golden Age of Monsters Movies group on Facebook, and I have no reason to doubt him, but....!

18. Message #1118 of 1273 Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Sadsack

David
    The fellow who posted the info on blu-ray.com says he knows other FB users who got the same replacement offer from KINO. I don't know how he would know this, maybe they posted on FB.
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15812596&postcount=1704
    So unless KINO's FB account got hacked by some prankster, it would seem to be legit. As long as they don't change their minds back to "no replacements will be issued."

19. Message #1119 of 1273 Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Nelson Au

I’m not a Facebook or Twitter user but I was able to see the posting on Schow’s Facebook page. Though Facebook makes it harder if you’re not a member. It would be nice if this replacement offer was more clearly and openly made available on other venues. If it’s true. Or a site like The Digitsl Bits or similar has direct word from Kino to report that this replacement offer is in fact true.

However I can see that Kino may not want this offer visible on their webpage for this second season set if it might cause potential customers to decide to mull and wait for the corrected sets. I’m sure they want to sell out all existing copies. According to the shipment tracker, my copy will arrive Monday.

Darby67 likes this.
  20. Nelson Au

Last night I watched The Special One. I remember the first time I saw it and understood it as a older teen. I really liked it and how the tables were turned. It’s not one I watch too often so it was cool to see it on the new blu ray. It looks so sharp, like the other episodes. Especially the distorted close ups of Zeno and his victims.

I had not realized earlier the mother was played by Marion Ross! And it was a fun surprise to see Ed Platt appear in another episode. He seems to have been typically cast as the authoritarian figure before Get Smart.

Before I watched the episode I was thinking this was another episode on alien invasion and they took an interesting twist on the idea by manipulating the children who would be more susceptible. I watched it twice, the second time with the audio commentary. What I noticed which is very well done is how Kenny is very secretive in trying to keep his father at first at bay, then later both his father and mother from knowing what is going on. He knew very early on that Zeno was an evil alien and was plotting to fight back.

I found this a much more compelling story. While I’ve always liked Fun and Games and it’s got a lot of things going for it, it never seemed to rise to the material and fully fulfill it. The Special One has got a bear that’s on the surface a very cultured and well spoken human, by all external appearances. So he’s able to sneak his way into the family’s home. He has a very insidious plan. And the child was able to figure out how to turn the tables. I like how we see Kenny studying the weather machine and figured out how to use against Zeno, but we don’t really know what Kenny is doing, his homework or something else. The new transfer also allowed for better clarity of the weather device and I could see lights not only in the globe portion, but on the lucite rings. As for the climax and the use of the optical effect of the toxic atmosphere that suffocates Zeno, I always liked it and never felt like it looked like feathers. Looking at the new blu ray, it looks more like torn bits of news paper swirling in a vat of water as a way to create the effect. Much like the transporter effect for Star Trek, except they used metal powder with lights glittering off the metal as it swirls in the water. The effect on The Special One works like a snow storm of toxins.

I think what I liked the most about the episode is the non-Outer Limits setting of a nice average family home. Though if that is an apartment, it sure looked more like a full-on house with such a large entry, living room, kitchen and grand staircase. (Probably from The Guests) I can see why Craig didn’t like how it wasn’t the normal Noir of past episodes. But that’s what makes it cool, there’s normality with a sudden injection of a skewed alien with the camera angles and lighting that injects the otherworldliness that upsets the normal home life.

The effects of Zeno beaming in and out is cool too! All these elements are what made it a stand out for me and memorable.

Darby67 and Gary16 like this.