What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why are you personally offended? Are you one of the folks who routinely makes excuses for KINO? Are you not aware that many people (not just here) do this? Mention the lack of episode list, mention the lack of restoration on episodes or other releases (eg the white lines going down the middle of the picture of REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD). Mention the tiny video glitch on Outer Limits Season One. Mention the audio missing from the first second on "Night Strangler." There's always someone who invents a reason why these were too difficult to correct. If you're one of those folks, then you're wrong.
Everybody needs to calm down and focus our displeasure at the companies and not each other.

This type of posting in which you're calling out other HTF members doesn't play well here. Please stop it! If you have a problem with Kino or any other company due to PQ issues then they should be ones you aim your ire towards, not other HTF members.

Last edited:

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Everybody needs to calm down and focus our displeasure at the companies and not each other.

This type of posting in which you're calling out other HTF members doesn't play well here. Please stop it! If you have a problem with Kino or any other company due to PQ issues then they should be ones you aim your ire towards, not other HTF members.
I thought I was calmly explaining myself, not name calling (and as I said, it's people in general, not necessarily here). Maybe I should have said "I disagree" instead of "you're wrong," which I'll amend. Sorry about that. But it wont help to get anything fixed if people just accept A/V problems.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The talk of the audio issue makes me wish I'd waited to order this one. With KINO essentially disavowing any video issue with that S1 episode I have little faith they'll do right by this and issue a replacement disc. Even if they do I'd rather not have to deal with yet another replacement program. If I'd kept my Amazon order I could just do an easy return as defective. Mine is from DD. They're a bit more difficult to deal with and usually only want to send a replacement, which in this case would have the same issue. I was hoping it wasn't "too bad" until I read Craig's comments. Now... I wish I'd waited...

I can say that the issues with the two seasons of this one makes me gun shy about any other KINO title. I know I'll not be so quick to order anything of theirs in the future but will absolutely wait for a quality assessment first.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I can say that the issues with the two seasons of this one makes me gun shy about any other KINO title. I know I'll not be so quick to order anything of theirs in the future but will absolutely wait for a quality assessment first.

I agree about waiting for reviews before buying new products, but in this case, I'm afraid it is a half-a-loaf is better than none situation. As long as there aren't any more issues with the set, and noone else is releasing it, it's still worth buying. Maybe that's the standard business model - that sales and cost-cutting on QC will outweigh the inevitable dissatisfaction from occasional defects.

Last edited:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I agree about waiting for reviews before buying new products, but in this case, I'm afraid it is a half-a-loaf is better than none situation. As long as there aren't any more issues with the set, and noone else is releasing it, it's still worth buying. Maybe that's the standard business model - that sales and cost-cutting on QC will outweigh the inevitable dissatisfaction from occasional defects.

I completely agree. The image quality is a marked step up from the standard-definition we've enjoyed/endured for the past thirty years (yes, it's been that long since the first VHS tapes were released). And the copious supplements range from mildly interesting to jaw-droppingly essential. Worth buying? Hell YES.

I have it on good authority that the lack of a booklet and some of the supplements on the DVD edition of Season Two was a cost-cutting measure. I haven't seen the DVD edition yet, but I'm inclined to think that the bonus features listed on the back cover do in fact include a booklet (which includes an essay by David J. Schow and an episode guide). At the very least Kino should make a digital version of the booklet available, but...

Goddamn, I sincerely hope Kino offers a replacement for the "Soldier" audio debacle.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m still waiting for the second season set, so I can’t hear this audio issue myself. It did occur to me though if there is a second audio option. The first season sets have the main audio which is DTS-HD MA stereo. The second channel is Dolby Digital Stereo as you guys know. That second channel is for the audio commentaries. So I’m curious if Soldier has a second audio channel and if the warble is heard there? Or perhaps the DVD set’s audio is encoded differently and the warble is not on the DVD set?

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I have it on good authority that the lack of a booklet and some of the supplements on the DVD edition of Season Two was a cost-cutting measure. I haven't seen the DVD edition yet, but I'm inclined to think that the bonus features listed on the back cover do in fact include a booklet (which includes an essay by David J. Schow and an episode guide). At the very least Kino should make a digital version of the booklet available, but...

Wow, didnt know that about the DVD release. Don't other companies usually use enough dvds to cover the same material? Odd about omitting the booklet, too. It's not like it was an actual book. Extreme bean counting.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I’m still waiting for the second season set, so I can’t hear this audio issue myself. It did occur to me though if there is a second audio option. The first season sets have the main audio which is DTS-HD MA stereo. The second channel is Dolby Digital Stereo as you guys know. That second channel is for the audio commentaries. So I’m curious if Soldier has a second audio channel and if the warble is heard there? Or perhaps the DVD set’s audio is encoded differently and the warble is not on the DVD set?

I ripped the Blu-ray to my hard drive, and found three audio track: DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS, and the audio commentary by David J. Schow. Both DTS tracks have the warbling audio and, if you listen carefully to the commentary track, you can hear it faintly underneath Schow's comments. I don't have a DVD copy to consult, but I have no doubt the warble is present on all the audio tracks there too.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Wow, didnt know that about the DVD release. Don't other companies usually use enough dvds to cover the same material? Odd about omitting the booklet, too. It's not like it was an actual book. Extreme bean counting.

The inclusion of all the bonus features would have required five discs instead of four, so Kino selectively omitted some supplements.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I ripped the Blu-ray to my hard drive, and found three audio track: DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS, and the audio commentary by David J. Schow. Both DTS tracks have the warbling audio and, if you listen carefully to the commentary track, you can hear it faintly underneath Schow's comments. I don't have a DVD copy to consult, but I have no doubt the warble is present on all the audio tracks there too.

Craig, the warble issue is present on the "Soldier" episode in the DVD set as well.

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
Just started watching BEHOLD ECK! Is it me, or my player... or is the image so grainy as to be granular and gritty looking? Dark or (especially) medium-grey areas (such as interior walls) flicker in a pockmarked sparkly manner, like TV static (“noise”?) or like swimming particles of salt-and-pepper glitter. Ugh... my old DVD looked better.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, stepping back to the first season. After viewing Fun and Games. I watched Star Trek’s episode of Arena. I’m curious now to find the Fredric Brown short story. I looked on Amazon and didn’t really find anything except an audio book version. Maybe I didn’t look in the right places. Any insights on where to buy the short story would be appreciated.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Guys, stepping back to the first season. After viewing Fun and Games. I watched Star Trek’s episode of Arena. I’m curious now to find the Fredric Brown short story. I looked on Amazon and didn’t really find anything except an audio book version. Maybe I didn’t look in the right places. Any insights on where to buy the short story would be appreciated.

Here's what the Internet SF Database has to say:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?41651+1

Or 55 cents (+ tax) will give you the kindle edition at Amazon-
The Fredric Brown MEGAPACK ®: 33 Classic Science Fiction Stories Kindle Edition

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Laughed...43268395&sr=1-8&keywords=And+the+gods+laughed

I have the story in this collection, And the Gods Laughed, which looks to still be available on Amazon. It's a great collection and if you're a big Fredric Brown fan like I am, you can probably find a signed version like I have on ebay.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
If KINO allows comments on their Facebook page, can someone please mention the audio issue there?
Also, to everyone going thru the set, it would be helpful to post if you notice any other issues.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sean, missed your post. Thanks for confirming the DVD audio for Soldier also exhibits the warble.
I know my hearing isn't what it used to be after 36 years on a manufacturing floor with heavy machinery. But, can somebody explain what the warble issue is as I watched the entire first episode of the second season of this Blu-ray release and didn't notice anything off except the audio being a little thin?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks