What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (1 Viewer)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Jeff Willis said:
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the Horizontal. We will control the Vertical. We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the Focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the Outer Limits."

15z4493.jpg
And if you've ever seen the original pilot version when the program's title was going to be "Please Stand By" the opening copy was the same except that it ended: "...which reaches from the inner mind to the outer limits. Please Stand By."
I believe the title change was partially due to the usage of the phrase "please stand by" since that was used by television stations when there was a real problem.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I still think MGM will do this themselves Mark as they continue recovering and rebuilding their home video label. MGM catalogue titles continue to dribble out...even some 4k remastering has been announced. And they now have a deal in place with Twilight Time to generate revenue from a lot of their other catalogue titles.

As noted in an earlier post, MGM has always treated this series like a 'crown jewel' in every other home video format, even Laserdisc. So I'm sure its on their radar...just not ready for the ultimate BIG BOX collector treatment they would likely want to give it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched an episode a few weeks ago with the professor from Gilligan's island as way to pay homage to Russell Johnson. I really like the old series!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The Outer Limits on blu-ray is my home theater holy grail. Having said that, I'd settle for a Twilight Zone Definitive Edition-level DVD remastering.

Nah, I'd still be disappointed. BLU-RAY, MGM!

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
What if they OPT for doing a Fan Favorites in Blu Ray??? What episodes would you want??? Mine would be....

The Sixth Finger
OBIT
Nightmare
The Bellero Shield
Architects of Fear
The Zanti Misfits
Demon With A Glass Hand
The Man Who Was Never Born
The Hundred Days Of The Dragon
Don't Open Until Doomsday

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Top 10 Favorites:

The Hundred Days of the Dragon
The Architects of Fear
The Man Who Was Never Born
O.B.I.T.
Corpus Earthling
Nightmare
The invisibles
The Bellero Shield
A Feasibility Study
Demon with a Glass Hand

Runners-Up:

It Crawled Out of the Woodwork
The Zanti Misfits
Wolf 359
The Duplicate Man
The Inheritors, parts 1 and 2

Of course, this lists changes with time....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those two lists look like the same episodes that were released in the 5 box sets of laserdiscs back in the day. I'd add Behold Eck! Not everyone's favorite, though I really liked that one. Plus a few others.I'd rather see the whole series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was thinking that the release of Batman on blu-ray could shake loose some other series for release on blu-ray. (Yes, Batman hasn't been confirmed for blu-ray, but most of us believe it is happening on both formats.) Outer Limits would be a natural for blu-ray, particularly after Twilight Zone was done in the format. With Batman being the last high-profile show from the same era, it might be the last chance for studios to take another look at releasing some of their properties in HD.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Every time I see an OL thread pop up here, my heart skips..."This is it! Someone's got intel on a Blu-ray release." But, alas, it's more pining away. Well, let's keep the flame lit and one of these days... one of these days... there truly will be 'nothing wrong with our television sets,' since the BD has arrived.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Craig Beam said:
The Outer Limits on blu-ray is my home theater holy grail. Having said that, I'd settle for a Twilight Zone Definitive Edition-level DVD remastering.

Nah, I'd still be disappointed. BLU-RAY, MGM!
For me, it's all...or nothing!

Like I said earlier, I tend to leave this show on the shelf for several years at a stretch. Then once I'm in the mood to see any of the episodes again...well...*BANG*...there goes my next week or so of viewing. Never fails.

Every single one of your listed fave episodes reminds me of at least 2 or 3 others that I would want to follow-up with...there's just something about this particular anthology series which remains more 'of a whole' than others...more so than even The Twilight Zone, which I can still enjoy in fun little stretches. The Outer Limits just feels like more like a more integrated body of work.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I always get a kick out of the command "Sit quietly" from the Control Voice's opening monologue. Sounds so...condescending, like we are a bunch of school kids (as most of us actually were then, but you know what I mean). I laugh out loud at the opening of every episode when that line is spoken.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There are some episodes from the 90's series that are okay. But perhaps the problem with the newer show is that it's not gothic, it's in color and it lacks that certain noir from the Germanic lighting and camera work of the original. I only caught a part of the remake of A feasibility Study with David MaCallum. It was on broadcast in syndication and I didn't know it was showing. I was hoping this one would be in one of the DVD sets. The reveal with the aliens wasn't as chilling. The effects were too literal. I wish I could see it again from the top to get a better understanding of the remake's scenario. So what I saw just wasn't as scary as the original! But I'm glad they had a chance to do it. The tone of the show was different, so it's not surprising we fans of the original may not like it.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Lord Dalek said:
Ugh the 90's Outer Limits was the worst.
Not too many people here would even dare to claim it's better than (or even equal to) the original, but that being said, I feel Seasons 2-6 deserve to be re-released in their original uncut Showtime versions, rather than the syndication edits that were put out on the Canadian sets (technically, the season 2 set is mostly the Showtime version, but a few syndicated episodes are on there, and since season 7 was on the Sci-Fi Channel, there aren't two versions of those episodes).

One thing that would make it even nicer would be if the alternate/replacement footage used in syndication for the racier episodes could be put on there as deleted scenes (for example, the episode Caught in the Act had an extra sub-plot added to the syndication cut, to bring the running time back up for the editing of the sex scenes).

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Of course, the original OL is by far the best, although I do like the later, much longer, version... Besides the lack of 'gothicness', one thing that turned me off at first was the music, which was such an integral part of the original series... in a sense, Dominic Frontiere's impressionistic score 'made' that series, and I was naively expecting it when I sat down to watch the first episode of the new series...
Later, of course, I began to have an acquired taste for the new Outer Limits, mainly because of the quality and dark tone of many of its episodes.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Hopefully I'm not bumping an ancient thread, but I was wondering about this same issue, especially given the massive restoration that The Twilight Zone got. What is the holdup with this? Some sort of legal tangle, or simple lack of interest? It seems like the DVDs have been OOP for some time now, as I discovered when I wanted to buy them.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member