What's new

The Outer Limits is turning 50.... (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't know if I'd call that a "great take". If anything it reeks of condescension. I think instead of viewing things through the lens of so-called "obstacles" of the decade, for the most part having to operate within a certain framework inspired a lot better material overall. As for the "knuckle-dragging mentality of the general populace", can you say "elitism"? I'm no fan of "Beverly Hillbillies" but for goodness sake why do these critics always act like the public needed to be indoctrinated for their own good by television?

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
23. Two centiments, continued: (Spoilers)

"Second Chance"

This one doesn't wear well past Bobby's age. As an eight year-old, it was a very cool idea - what if that cheesy spaceship ride at the amusement park was real and launched you into space? As an adult, you can't lift past the cheesy dialogue.

'Stewardess' Miss Matthews: Dave, are you looking for a wife... or a girlfriend?
'Pilot' Dave: Jesus, lady, you just asked to grab lunch, I'm looking for an ENCHILADA! (my rewrite)

It should have been called "The Spaceride Club," because it's like a claustrophobic early prototype of John Hughes' seven misfits stuck in a room whining about everything.

Here's a great take on the entire series, though from writer David Horne:

One of the reasons we all love The Outer Limits and still remember it is because so many of the first-season episodes, and a handful from the second season, are monuments to what creative, visionary, skilled, and determined people were able to achieve in the face of the crushing obstacles of 1960s network television: meddling, profit-driven, dimwit network executives; obtuse and venal censors; ridiculous schedules and budgets; and the knuckle-dragging mentality of a general viewing populace that championed "The Beverly Hillbillies" as its favorite show.

To add to Horne's reason we love the show, though - it was a writer, one of us, given the keys to this huge audience media playground to do whatever he wanted (well, within ever-tightening conditions), firing on all cylinders (and burning out a few synapses), and hitting some peaks of inspiration.

We all write for an audience, whether it's one person in a letter, 10 people on a blog or post, a few thousand in a book, or potentially a few million in the theaters. But here was a time when there were only THREE NETWORKS - that was the only game in town - splitting up more than 100 million viewers. Talk about a captive audience. You could drop anything on and get 30 million viewers. Put on something that really hits the zeitgeist and 80 million ears and eyes were upon you. How does that not energize and appeal to the part of any writer stepping up to the perfect pulpit? And boy did Joe preach (but thankfully, this episode was not one of his sermons).

But we loved it because, when he was clicking, you really felt the near giddy exhilaration of unbridled creativity fueled by the medium through which he was channeling. Sterling Silliphant had his moments in the sun with Route 66 for a few short seasons. Preston Sturges had his at Paramount Pictures for a remarkable five-year run in the early 40s.

Writers can spot other writers totally getting off, and we can share that enthusiasm. Egos subside in the face of that pure, unbridled creativity. One of ours blasted off, broke through and pushed the envelope. Way to go!

But with this episode and others soon to follow, we start definitely coming back down to Earth.

“I think you made a disastrous mistake. You need scientists not discontented... dreamers.”
—Dave Crowell (Don Gordon)

The prologue—before the killing of the night watchman—reminds the one from “Controlled Experiment” owing to its amount of nightly desolated place stock footages. Great humanitarian alien with a silly-looking bird disguised (recycled in the unaired pilot from Star Trek: “The Cage”) which recites solemn speech like: “Horror is a luxuary the desperate cannot afford!” and even make a small allusion to “The Zanti Misfits” ’s opening narration: “Throughout your history, (...)”. Don Gordon makes this one accceptable and adds some density to his role but the rest of the characters wander in the limbo of stereotypes, especially the teenagers trio—in my opinion, young conventional characters that you find here (and in “Don’t Open Till Doomsday” or “The Special One”) don’t fit the weltanschauung of The Outer Limits. For the anecdote, young actress Mimsy Farmer will turn into a hippie icon in the late 1960’s with two films: Barbet Schroeder’s More and Georges Lautner’s Road to Salina. The premise of this one reminds the outlines of This Island Earth; the story material is much too short to fill in with enthusiasm the audience. This is, after all, an average unachieved space flight which takes roots in a narrow setting: an amusemment park. Watch the space seats from Men Into Space. At the end of Act I, an unfortunate shadow of the microphone is seen while the Empyrian contacts his home planet and he wears an old fashioned cloak on Earth and, Dave Crowell and Mara Mathews, primitive futuristic space outfits.

One scene deserves the attention: the space dizzyness of the abducted passengers, after the take off, that is shot hand-held and in low angle. The episode’s internal theme is, of course, the redemption, but most of the abducted passengers don’t wish to evolve—they’re prisoners of their fate and a wall of lies—and to gain a better future. It is also a ‘huit-clos’ where people reveal their true nature: the teenagers clumsily try to attack and stop twice the Empyrian and we even witness a pre-lynching scene where Arjay Beasley asks for blood: “Kill him for real”; During Act IV, Beasley wants to kill Crowell with a knife to go back to Earth. Another episode with a maverick and bitter idealist character (“I belong to whatever I happen to be. I am a drifter”; “Sometimes I wonder. They [the Government] offered me... prizes and honors and even moderate riches. All I had to do was to let them stand over my shoulder and make suggestions. I didn’t want that. I... I wanted to go off somewhere alone, and unravel the mysteries I preferred, the ones that mystify the heart, not... not the Defense Department! ... I didn’t know there was anything on Earth worth defending”; “I leave nothing behind... except disillusionment in my fellowman and hopelessness in myself”, said Dr. Dave Crowell) who escapes from the social life as the lead in “The Guests”. By freely accepting the alien’s offer, Dave Crowell is similare to Louis Mace from “The Chameleon” and the opposite of Mike Benson. This one doesn’t feature an end narration.

Stoney Burke-wise, actor Simon Oakland guests in “Image of Glory” and John McLiam in “Five by Eight by Eight”.

Last edited:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if I'd call that a "great take". If anything it reeks of condescension. I think instead of viewing things through the lens of so-called "obstacles" of the decade, for the most part having to operate within a certain framework inspired a lot better material overall. As for the "knuckle-dragging mentality of the general populace", can you say "elitism"? I'm no fan of "Beverly Hillbillies" but for goodness sake why do these critics always act like the public needed to be indoctrinated for their own good by television?
Newton Minnow, the head of the FCC in the early 60s, infamously referred to TV as a vast wasteland. What he was really saying is that programs didn't please HIM. Unfortunately, the idea that media content is supposed to please a government bureaucrat doesn't bother a lot of people.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I get the critique of an elitist angle on this. Perhaps I should have ended the quote after his first sentence of positivism about what TOL achieved. Hey, I was eight years old and loved The Beverly Hillbillies at the time. I was eight. But this is a revisionist perspective looking back at what still stands up to scrutiny, and perhaps with a touch of bitterness that shows that aspired for more, such as TOL felt the ax pretty quick, and shows that just played for some escapist silliness and laughs (perfectly valid entertainment) like the Hillbillies lived on for nine seasons.

But isn't it also a bit ironic that Horne is made guilty for being elitist for putting down The Beverly Hillbillies, and yet that show was most definitely Hollywood writers being elitist by mining laughs from country bumpkins. The bumpkins always won; though, so that makes it okay?

Last edited:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But isn't it also a bit ironic that Horne is made guilty for being elitist for putting down The Beverly Hillbillies, and yet that show was most definitely Hollywood writers being elitist by mining laughs from country bumpkins. The bumpkins always won; though, so that makes it okay?
The show also mined a lot of laughs from vapid Hollywood types, the types who think much of the rest of the country is populated by "country bumpkins".

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Next on The Outer Limits: “Moonstone”.

The monster: alien refugees
The foe: alien oppressors
The target: NASA
The setting: a moonbase
The sociology: the militaries
The reference: Men into Space paired with a Doctor Who story “The Moonbase” and a WWII film
The high point: none

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
You must be only talking about the script content in these bullet point opinions - the actors, music, special effects, etc. are never mentioned. Sometimes they're the high points for an otherwise ho-hum episode.

It's actually done to sell the episode to a complete newcomer who wants to have holistic overview, the realm and its socio-political overtones and its players. Nothing about the craft.
Besides, “Moonstone” is the second Men into Space outgrowth after "Specimen: Unknown”.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
It's actually done to sell the episode to a complete newcomer who wants to have holistic overview, the realm and its socio-political overtones and its players. Nothing about the craft.
Besides, “Moonstone” is the second Men into Space outgrowth after "Specimen: Unknown”.

I understand the bullet-point format is a fun way to express facts and opinions, and you focused your criteria. Actually unlike an episode guide, the format lends itself to highlighting all sorts of criteria like music, etc.
What I don't understand is how your final assessment, "High Point: None" is going to "sell the episode" to any newcomer, unless they watch the show as a dare like an Ed Wood flick. This is a repeat conversation we're having from "Specimen Unknown" (you might say now, a known specimen...and no, not that kind of specimen), so maybe we're having a failure to communicate.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I understand the bullet-point format is a fun way to express facts and opinions, and you focused your criteria. Actually unlike an episode guide, the format lends itself to highlighting all sorts of criteria like music, etc.
What I don't understand is how your final assessment, "High Point: None" is going to "sell the episode" to any newcomer, unless they watch the show as a dare like an Ed Wood flick. This is a repeat conversation we're having from "Specimen Unknown" (you might say now, a known specimen...and no, not that kind of specimen), so maybe we're having a failure to communicate.

The "high point" criteria is biased. Anyway, the newcomer is not interested in art but by drama, story, characters, contents (political, philosophical, socio-economical). We tend to disagree concerning the quality of episodes because he doesn't care for film-making. For instance, he adores "Moonstone".

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
So you're catering your epigrams to a specific "newcomer"? I didnt realize that.
I still don't get how not recommending something ("high point: none") is a selling point. It's a "no sale" point.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
24. Two centiments, continued: (No spoilers)

"Moonstone"

Can't say I was looking forward to revisiting this one.

Summary:

The moon lays an egg.

“The mind earns by doing. The heart earns by trying.”
—The Grippian Collective Voice (Ben Wright)

It’s a very ordinary and cheaply-produced narrative. The circular look of the aliens is a neat artifact (a sort of cyclop jellyfishes who float in a watery lampshade; the lampshade symbolizes a thrown bottle and, space, the ocean) but the anti-totalitarian plot is too conventional and linear as the character’s behaviours—a Korean War background (see “Nightmare”) is highlit to save the two male characters from nothingness. The theme of this episode is the redemption, the redemption of General Lee Stocker (Cf. “Tourist Attraction”). Most lunar footages are from Men into Space. As in many episodes (“Nightmare”, “The Zanti Misfits”, “The Chameleon”), the militaries remain doubtful (“All my life... I thought that science and the military are opposed. That the military is dedicated to destruction and the aim of science is peace and human advancement”, said Professor Brice). The Grippian Collective Voice (“Our minds are linked. We share the same thoughts and one voice—the voice you hear—speaks for all of us.”) makes reference to the constellation Zenniniz (Cf. “The Zanti Misfits”). Zenniniz may refer to Zen’s philosophy (see Leslie Stevens’ belief) and a Zanti’s lingo extension. Both Major Clint Anderson and The Grippian Collective Voice consider Earth as lethal: Anderson as a punishment (“I’ve been transfered... to that Siberia known as... Earth.”) and the Grippian as a death threat. The way the Grippian Collective Voice describes the totalitarian Grippians (“They have not the rationality of the less powerful.”) can make you think of two historical events: World War II (“There are partisans. They are coming. A rescue ship... bringing us energy”, said the Grippian Collective voice) and the atomic bomb (“... because it will be we who will invent those constantly improved methods of accomplishing it...”, said the Grippian Collective voice). The language of the alien is on a saturated sound frequency (again, the importance of sound and radio transmission) and John Elizalde re-uses the “O.B.I.T.” and the Chromoite electronic vibrations. Hari Rhodes is the second actor that plays in Samuel Fuller’s 1963 Shock Corridor.

Notes: Ben Wright is the Grippian Collective Voice and Vic Perrin is the voice of the Scanner Unit. Tim O’Connor returns in “Soldier” and Curt Conway in “Keeper of the Purple Twilight”. Stoney Burke-wise, actor Curt Conway guests in “The Mob Riders”.

Men Into Space (1959): “Moonquake”

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I see that you are very enthusiastic: just kidding.

I actually like the special effects in this episode, including the basic design and showcasing of the Grippians within the orb. The larger one with multiple floating sunflower eyeballs gave me a Lovecraftian Cthuhul Mythos vibe. A similar design done with today's technical FX and creative know-how would be very cool.

But the majority of this episode is three or four actors standing mute and static in front of the orb as if they were consulting a Magic 8-Ball and waiting for a "Signs point to yes," or "My sources say no." Outlook for any compelling dynamics or interest... not so good.

And after they dug up the orb and later laid it back down again, I just couldn't resist the egg gag.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I actually like the special effects in this episode, including the basic design and showcasing of the Grippians within the orb. The larger one with multiple floating sunflower eyeballs gave me a Lovecraftian Cthuhul Mythos vibe. A similar design done with today's technical FX and creative know-how would be very cool.

But the majority of this episode is three or four actors standing mute and static in front of the orb as if they were consulting a Magic 8-Ball and waiting for a "Signs point to yes," or "My sources say no." Outlook for any compelling dynamics or interest... not so good.

And after they dug up the orb and later laid it back down again, I just couldn't resist the egg gag.

I tend to agree. I might add the episode is "flat as a pancake". It is on my Bottom 10.

Last edited:

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
In MOONSTONE I liked the appropriately recycled diving cue from "Tourist Attraction," and as an adult, can appreciate the downbeat message more. In retrospect, it's like alot of SPACE 1999 episodes. There's something about the Moon that attracts warring aliens.
One thing that still bugs me in older shows is when we can see things that the characters apparently can't, like the eyes in the orbs. Even war and astro-hardened characters should freak-out seeing those in person.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
In MOONSTONE I liked the appropriately recycled diving cue from "Tourist Attraction," and as an adult, can appreciate the downbeat message more. In retrospect, it's like alot of SPACE 1999 episodes. There's something about the Moon that attracts warring aliens.
One thing that still bugs me in older shows is when we can see things that the characters apparently can't, like the eyes in the orbs. Even war and astro-hardened characters should freak-out seeing those in person.

Some people connect "Moonstone" with "Ring Around the Moon" from Space: 1999.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
sMzzPN3.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks